When i say "learnable" i mean not too insanely hard. or are all of his songs as hard as they sound?

EDIT: ive been playin about 2 years, i know Andy Mckee's "Drifting" and parts of "For my Father" and "Keys to the Hovercar." i have a pretty good feel for fingerstyle. my practice routine varies from day to day.
Last edited by mogan777 at Jun 25, 2009,
How long have you been playing?
What are some of the more difficult and complex songs that you are currently able to play?
How often and how long do you typically practice?
The easiest one I can think of is Drac & Friends 1(which is actually a cover of a Don Ross song). You can find it on youtube. However, if you aren't familiar with playing fingerstyle, it'll be hard.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
There is a cover of Toi et Moi by Silverstein14 in the Sound Off thread at the top of the forum. Does that fit your criteria for learnable?
I don't see how you can have trouble with Dufour's stuff if you know how to play Keys to the Hovercar... That song requires a decent amount of skill really.

Catching the Light is probably one of his easier songs. It's a relatively slow song with no weird chord shapes/stretches and so on. Try check it out.
Quote by Rallymonkey
I don't see how you can have trouble with Dufour's stuff if you know how to play Keys to the Hovercar... That song requires a decent amount of skill really.

Catching the Light is probably one of his easier songs. It's a relatively slow song with no weird chord shapes/stretches and so on. Try check it out.

i can only play the first part of it. but ive only been trying for a few days. thanks for the suggestion though
The first song I learnt of his was Trilogie...it isn't as hard as it looks.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
im in the process of learning catching the light, but his skill and coordination is absolutely amazing, i would even go as far to say that in my opinion, he is better than mckee in terms of skill. perhaps mckee writes better, more melodic songs, but who am i to judge?

still, catching the light is learnable, so thats what i'd suggest.
I learned Catching the Light in one day, the fastest I've ever learned any song before. Took me a few more days to fully master it, but I had the whole thing basically down in one day. Definitely learnable, though if you're not used to playing multiple rhythms, it might be difficult.
Catching the Light.

Try Craig D'andrea - In with the purple, out with the blue.
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
I learned Catching the Light in one day, the fastest I've ever learned any song before. Took me a few more days to fully master it, but I had the whole thing basically down in one day. Definitely learnable, though if you're not used to playing multiple rhythms, it might be difficult.

Now did you fingerpick the whole song or did you actually use hybrid picking? I mean the song is actually pretty easy compared to some of his other songs, but still, for some reason the majority of covers I find on YouTube are of people using just their fingers the entire time instead of flat/hybrid picking.

Also to the topic poster, I would say Drac & Friends I is the easiest. Once you get the groove and the general flow of the song with the intro, you've pretty much got the entire song.
Quote by ItsTheMatthias
Now did you fingerpick the whole song or did you actually use hybrid picking? I mean the song is actually pretty easy compared to some of his other songs, but still, for some reason the majority of covers I find on YouTube are of people using just their fingers the entire time instead of flat/hybrid picking.

Also to the topic poster, I would say Drac & Friends I is the easiest. Once you get the groove and the general flow of the song with the intro, you've pretty much got the entire song.

Hybrid, it just doesn't sound the same if you don't use a pick. I had a little bit of trouble in this area, because I hold plectrums with my thumb and middle finger, so I only have two fingers free to hybrid, which sucks, but there's only one time you need to use hybrid picking, when you do the big slide up to the 9th fret, and pick the open D string at the same time. I'm so picky getting a song right, most of the time if the guy makes a slight mistake, I'll also try to reproduce that mistake.
Last edited by THE NEKRYPH at Jul 20, 2009,
none of antoine dufour's songs are insanely hard. you just have to have the patience and motivation to get the muscle memory down for any song.
when i play catching the light, i try to make it as close to antoines original as possible, i use a thumbpick. does get in the way a bit when the tapped harmonics come in, but its nothing major.
yeah, I opt to use a thumbpick for the song myself sometimes, because you get much more volume out of those tapped harmonics using a thumbpick than just your fingers.