What kind of amps does he use, and what kind of pedal does he use for distortion during his solos, like in Ball and Biscuit? I'm not really trying to emulate (imulate?) his sound, I am just trying to find the best amp for its price and I'm not really into high gain amps or anything, and I like the idea of using lots of distortion for solos, like Jack White and John Frusciante normally do.
http://www.brokenbricks.com/guitar.shtml

better.

He uses clean amps really. With a big muff and other boosting and distorting techniques.

Froosh on the other hand uses Marshall's like his Silver Jubilee and a super distortion pedal to get his really gainy stuff.

Similar approaches, but with completely different amps.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jun 25, 2009,
a good fender valve combo should do the trick he uses the head and cab whilst with the raconteurs
Quote by Artemis Entreri
http://www.brokenbricks.com/guitar.shtml

better.

He uses clean amps really. With a big muff and other boosting and distorting techniques.

Froosh on the other hand uses Marshall's like his Silver Jubilee and a super distortion pedal to get his really gainy stuff.

Similar approaches, but with completely different amps.

I knew that John uses Marshall's but I'm too poor for one I would like buying a Fender amp anyway, much much cheaper than Marshall. Although Jack White's amp is like, over 1,000 USD, from what I gathered from a google search.
Also, I'm guessing he gets his distortion from his Dunlop MXR Micro Amp?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out he gets it from the Big Muff.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 25, 2009,
White uses old, cheap amps like Silvertones and Kays. you can probably find one at a pawn shop or a garage sale.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
White uses old, cheap amps like Silvertones and Kays. you can probably find one at a pawn shop or a garage sale.

His Silvertones are his cabinets, though, right?
Well, his amps probably cost even more since they are vintage and all. But since you don't want to copy him exactly and are just interested in that kinda thing...try grabbing a simple, clean Fender amp and throwing a big muff, or some sort of distortion pedal on it.

How much do you have to spend? At this rate, you might be able to afford a JCM-900 or 2000 used. Although the 2000 might not do it for you.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Well, his amps probably cost even more since they are vintage and all. But since you don't want to copy him exactly and are just interested in that kinda thing...try grabbing a simple, clean Fender amp and throwing a big muff, or some sort of distortion pedal on it.

How much do you have to spend? At this rate, you might be able to afford a JCM-900 or 2000 used. Although the 2000 might not do it for you.

Well, I don't really have a budget right now, cuz i have only 8 dollars haha. but I'd probably not spend anymore than 500 bucks on the amp itself, and then I'd probably just buy some cheap but decent cabs and i'll get a big muff if i can find one anywhere.

Also, I saw that Silvertone 1484s are only 250 bucks? I wouldn't mind getting one of those instead of a Fender amp... If i could find a Silvertone, I'm guessing it may be pretty hard to find one.

EDIT: Also, i've never looked into Fender amps, so could you tell me some cheap clean ones? Or ones that get a little bit of distortion, like a little crunch.
Silvertones are going up in price, but they used to be fairly common and very cheap. I would make sure you could play it first though, since not all of silvertone's amps were hot stuff. Some of them are great, but not all. You could get away with a silvertone and a big muff though if you wanted.

See, I used to see these for like 50 starting bid, but that's ridiculous.

And Fender honestly doens't make cheap tube amps anymore. Their prices have sky rocketed. You might be able to go used, but I got a Slverface 5 watt champ for like 200. Prolly too small for you.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by eyebanez333
^he uses Silvertone 1484s too

Yup.

One of the amps in my sig. They're not terribly hard to find.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Also, I saw that Silvertone 1484s are only 250 bucks? I wouldn't mind getting one of those instead of a Fender amp... If i could find a Silvertone, I'm guessing it may be pretty hard to find one.

More like $600 these days.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Silvertones are going up in price, but they used to be fairly common and very cheap. I would make sure you could play it first though, since not all of silvertone's amps were hot stuff. Some of them are great, but not all. You could get away with a silvertone and a big muff though if you wanted.

See, I used to see these for like 50 starting bid, but that's ridiculous.

And Fender honestly doens't make cheap tube amps anymore. Their prices have sky rocketed. You might be able to go used, but I got a Slverface 5 watt champ for like 200. Prolly too small for you.

5 watts? is that a typo? lol. If not, i didn't even know they made them that small lol. But yea, 5 watts, 15, or 50, that's too small. 75 is probably the least i'd be willing to get.

EDIT: I don't think I'd go and get a silverface for my first fender amp. Twins and Twin Reverbs are way too expensive for me right now lol.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
5 watts? is that a typo? lol. If not, i didn't even know they made them that small lol. But yea, 5 watts, 15, or 50, that's too small. 75 is probably the least i'd be willing to get.

You realize the 1484 you said you were wanting to purchase is 40W, right?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

No, it's not a typo. And you don't understand much about tube amps do you? I'd recommend no more than 50, especially if you want to get a little crunch.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
No, it's not a typo. And you don't understand much about tube amps do you? I'd recommend no more than 50.

No actually i don't. I'm using a spider III 75 watts with my friends' cabinet right now.

And the only amps I've really looked into are Marshall heads and Mesa heads. So i'm not really too knowledgeable about amps quite yet
Tube amps, for the most part are MUCH MUCH MUCH louder than SS. There are always exceptions if the amp is coupled with a poor speaker set up. But 5 watts is too loud for apartment use if that means anything to you. Too much to get cranked tube tone anyway. Or...my 100 watt valveking (2x12) on 10 on the clean channel can take all the books off my shelf and knock anything hanging on my walls off.

To get the best sound of a tube amp, you want it to be running pretty hot, which means you have to turn it up, which means it will be pretty loud. So the lower your wattage, the less your ears hurt. Now there's some chart which shows you the general volume of the wattages of tube amps, and 100 watts isn't very much louder than 50 watts, only about 3db I think.
And I slaughtered that definition of tube amps, if you want a really good one, there are some excellent articles around google.

But the point is, 40-50 watts is great. Maybe a little too much. I personally want 30-40.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Tube amps, for the most part are MUCH MUCH MUCH louder than SS. There are always exceptions if the amp is coupled with a poor speaker set up. But 5 watts is too loud for apartment use if that means anything to you. Too much to get cranked tube tone anyway. Or...my 100 watt valveking (2x12) on 10 on the clean channel can take all the books off my shelf and knock anything hanging on my walls off.

To get the best sound of a tube amp, you want it to be running pretty hot, which means you have to turn it up, which means it will be pretty loud. So the lower your wattage, the less your ears hurt. Now there's some chart which shows you the general volume of the wattages of tube amps, and 100 watts isn't very much louder than 50 watts, only about 3db I think.
And I slaughtered that definition of tube amps, if you want a really good one, there are some excellent articles around google.

But the point is, 40-50 watts is great. Maybe a little too much. I personally want 30-40.

alright thanks. Would you say 30 is good for, say, a gig in a high school gym, medium-sized club, etc.? that is, being hooked up with 1 or 2 cabinets.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
alright thanks. Would you say 30 is good for, say, a gig in a high school gym, medium-sized club, etc.? that is, being hooked up with 1 or 2 cabinets.

Well...not if you want a clean tone. 30 watts wouldn't have good clean headroom in a medium sized club or gym without help. Most of the places you would play gigs would have a PA system though, that's how I pull off using my champ. But you will have tons of problems plying in a gym. Now, I'm picturing my gym right now, but in my gym full of people, you would have trouble hearing a drum set unless everyone was quiet, so you would need a PA of sorts anyway.

But seriously, most places will have a PA set up and 30 watts would be perfect.

Edit: and about the cabs, you might have to get custom cabs if you want to use more than one to match up the impedance

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Well...not if you want a clean tone. 30 watts wouldn't have good clean headroom in a medium sized club or gym without help. Most of the places you would play gigs would have a PA system though, that's how I pull off using my champ. But you will have tons of problems plying in a gym. Now, I'm picturing my gym right now, but in my gym full of people, you would have trouble hearing a drum set unless everyone was quiet, so you would need a PA of sorts anyway.

But seriously, most places will have a PA set up and 30 watts would be perfect.

Edit: and about the cabs, you might have to get custom cabs if you want to use more than one to match up the impedance

My gym is pretty active, that is, you can hear things pretty well, even with a loud crowd chatter and everything. So are you saying a 30 watt amp WITH a cab wouldn't be good in a gym? Cuz I'm thinking that 30 watts all the way up with a cab would be decently loud.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
My gym is pretty active, that is, you can hear things pretty well, even with a loud crowd chatter and everything. So are you saying a 30 watt amp WITH a cab wouldn't be good in a gym? Cuz I'm thinking that 30 watts all the way up with a cab would be decently loud.

Oh it would definitely be loud if the cab and amp and everything were matched correctly. But I'm saying you might not get a clean tone if you wanted that. It would be full on tube distortion, unless it was some sort of Fender, since some of those barely break up. Hell yes it would be loud.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Oh it would definitely be loud if the cab and amp and everything were matched correctly. But I'm saying you might not get a clean tone if you wanted that. It would be full on tube distortion, unless it was some sort of Fender, since some of those barely break up. Hell yes it would be loud.

Oh i get what you mean now then. Well, sometimes Jack White plays Hotel Yorba with a ****load of distortion, so i wouldn't neccessarily mind that. And I could use the volume knob on the guitar to cut out some of it, too.

thanks for all the help n stuff
been watching Ebay for an affordable Silvertone and Supro's too... did get 2 from the 60's

1966 Mulivox Model 45 - sounds amazing

Another is a NEAR MINT 1963 Ace Tone Duetto:

beautiful and sweet.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
been watching Ebay for an affordable Silvertone and Supro's too... did get 2 from the 60's

1966 Mulivox Model 45 - sounds amazing

Another is a NEAR MINT 1963 Ace Tone Duetto:

beautiful and sweet.

How much did thosee cost you?
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
What kind of amps does he use, and what kind of pedal does he use for distortion during his solos, like in Ball and Biscuit? I'm not really trying to emulate (imulate?) his sound, I am just trying to find the best amp for its price and I'm not really into high gain amps or anything, and I like the idea of using lots of distortion for solos, like Jack White and John Frusciante normally do.

Jack White uses a twin reverb and a big muff, and a Silvertone that's overdriven.

But I'm pretty sure that he started using that stuff because that's what he had.

As far a cheap amps and dirt boxes that can cop similar tones, a lot of used Supro, National, Oahu, Gretsch and other Valco amps can get those tones, especially the lower wattage ones. Just turn them up, and go.

The problem with those, though, is that they're old, and generally, old stuff is unreliable.

Now, some new production amps that are good for this kind of stuff: Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Epiphone Valve Standard, Gibson GA40RVT, Ampeg J20 Jet, Blackheart Handsome Devil, Laney VC30, Vox AC30, Crate V series, Crate Palomino series, Bugera V series (haven't tested personally), Fender Hot Rods (overpriced new), Fender Super Sonics, Fender Vintage Reissues, and a slew of boutique crap.

I personally find the best results in getting two amps that have dissimilar voicings, running them in stereo just before or at the point where they break up, and boosting them and running two different soundin fuzzes into them. Mixing a Big Muff and a Tone Bender or Fuzz Face type fuzz works well.

Anyway, in the end, just play a bunch of stuff, and see what you like.