Hey Guys,

Iv been playing guitar now since i was 10, and i love it. Im in a band and we play at all the local pubs and bars, i have also played a concert at my high school which was great, im also grade 8 guitar player.Oh and im the high schools 'official guitarist' i no

Anyway, i kinda taught myself guitar, and i have been having trouble making songs for the band.I'v never had this trouble before. I know how to make chord sequences and and how to use chords from the same key,but the singer wanted to write a sad song but when i tried to string some chords together it sounded either wasy to corny or way to depressing.

My question is what type of chords should i use to get a more serious but sad sounding song? Iv tried mixing minors and majors but with no luck.

Thanks for your advice UG.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
practice?

edit: tl;dr. i just read the title.
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
sad? minor progression/more minor chords
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I think D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Try a i-iv-V7 such as A minor, D minor, E7. It's pretty well your standard minor key progression and should be at least a good starting point.
Quote by clyne39
I think D minor is the saddest of all keys.

Yeah, but i don't like how it sounds. i like A minor.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
try uploading something recent. this might sound inane coming from someone who hasnt uploaded anything, but your current stuff aint really showing your style
Minor keys. If you just can't feel it, don't try to force it. I've found I do my best writing spontaneously in no-stress situations.
Quote by Geldin
Minor keys. If you just can't feel it, don't try to force it. I've found I do my best writing spontaneously in no-stress situations.

I agree. The minute you say "right, this is serious! I'm going to write a song which is [...]", then it's over.

Print out a bunch of blank tab. Leave it in your practice area. Spend some time each day improvising or just noodling. Whenever you happen upon a fragment that sounds interesting, stop and tab it out real quick. Over time, the amount of interesting ideas you have written down will grow. Re-visit them from time to time. Start experimenting and see if some of them work well together. And so on...