I picked up a 60's Fender Vibro Champ combo amp recently. I've done some reading and it is apparently a tube amp (which I know nothing about). The problem is I turn it on, plug in an instrument, and the amp will only produce sound when I turn the volume up really high (even then you can't hear it that well). When I turn the volume knob it makes some static/breakup noise. Through my reading, it appears the amp may just need cleaned up and routine maintenence.

Is this doable by a novice or should I just take it to the shop and let them take care of it?
Quote by pak1351
shop

+1.

Let them do a little cleanup/tuneup, it'll only work to your advantage!
I think you blew your tubes. I would take it to a shop and ask for them to clean the controls and change the tubes.
Quote by big_aug
I picked up a 60's Fender Vibro Champ combo amp recently. I've done some reading and it is apparently a tube amp

lol.. sorry i had to...sounds like its the pots. take it to a shop and theyll fix you up

how much did it cost you
Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Standard Tele
Ltd EC-400
Boss Super Chorus
Cry Baby
15" MacBook Pro
Akai MPD 24
The shop will notice and attend to things a novice wouldn't know to address. Shop all the way. Congrats on the amp, those little buggers are freaking awesome amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Did you make sure the standby switch wasn't on....if it's on you will hear noise at high volume....but only at high volume...
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Behringer Compressor
Extra:
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Mackie 802
Yamaha HS50M
I actually got it for free, which makes it that much more awesome =D. I'm gonna take it into the shop today.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
Quote by big_aug
I actually got it for free, which makes it that much more awesome =D. I'm gonna take it into the shop today.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Let me be the first person to say **** YOU!
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by sk1939
Did you make sure the standby switch wasn't on....if it's on you will hear noise at high volume....but only at high volume...

The Champ has no standby switch.