http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html

All intervals enabled (Yes even the unison).

How does the direction affect you? (notes played low to high or high to low)

What about the play mode? (melody or harmony or both)

I've done a couple thousand different tries over the course of like a week, and I seem to be stuck on 72-73%, and that's with the repeating of intervals I got wrong (If you get one wrong it tells you the right answer, and you can sort of cheat by quickly pressing play again and get the same interval and know the answer). The minor 3rd interval gets me almost everytime as well and the minor 6th

I wanna know how everybody else does with this excercise.
Last edited by shaf_9110 at Jun 25, 2009,
3rds and 6ths often get inverted a coll trick it to listen to the space between the note, but yeah it just comes with constant practice (i used to use Greensleeves for minor 3rd)
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I think low to high is easier for most people.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by mdwallin
I use smoke on the water for min3rd :P

Do you mean you use the very first 2 notes in the song as a reference for what a minor third interval sounds like?
i was at 93% at 50. the minor 6th threw me off i think every time
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Always 100% from low to high, but it catches me out sometimes on high to low, need to work on that. Would be good if they had an option for intervals over an octave too.
Quote by shaf_9110
Do you mean you use the very first 2 notes in the song as a reference for what a minor third interval sounds like?

Kind of a poor example since that riff is harmonized in fourths. Anyway, it isnt very hard to memorize the sound of a minor arpeggio, which is how I learned minor thirds. I just sing Do, may(meh?), So.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by shaf_9110

I don't think he means that.
The first 4th and the 2nd 4th (D4 and F4) are a minor third apart.
Quote by MadAudioMan
the 7ths and 6ths kept screwing with me.

Same. Darn you minor and major 6ths and minor 7ths
Cool little thing to practice intervals. I kept scoring around 75%. It's those 6ths and 7ths...
We sometimes catch a window
A glimpse of what's beyond
Can someone help me with this I was reading the crusades and it said to try this and I don't really get what your suppossed to do
Where's Waldo?

yay
Here's a little website with tunes for identifying intervals

http://www.northern.edu/wieland/theory/interval/intvls.htm

For those 6ths and 7ths, here are some of my own suggestions...

minor 6th - you could try thinking of the riff in Eminem's "Lose Yourself". Might be a bad choice of artist but it's a memorable riff.

major 6th - you can't go wrong with the first two notes in "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"

minor 7th - personally I think of a particular bit in an obscure Frank Zappa song, Greggary Peccary, I can't think of a popular tune right now with it. But it's a distinctive sound, really common in funk basslines and such...

major 7th - again can't think of a song, but you should be able to hear that the note is really close to the octave, almost 'reaching' for it.
Quote by shaf_9110

yes
the riff goes
E, G, A
E, G, Bb, A
E, G, A
G, E

E to G is a minor third.
Last edited by mdwallin at Jun 27, 2009,
I did bad Like 66% out of 25 tries, can we have our guitars in our hands?
Last edited by Night_Warrior at Jun 27, 2009,
^^that would defeat the whole purpose lol, you would just be able to count to which interval it is and get everything right 100% of the time

I find maj6 is one of the easiest ones to identify like tritone and minor 2nd, it seems to be the happiest sounding interval there is, to me at least.

And the minor 3rd from smoke on the water still doesn't help lol. Everytime I get minor third I seem to hit major and vice versa.
For minor third, I think of the first few notes of the vocal melody during the verses of She Wolf by Megadeth. Minor 6th and minor 7th keep screwing me over though.
A really good major 6th is N to B in the NBC theme.

EDIT: Ha, oops it was on the site Berserke posted.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.