Okay... I've attempted learning this many times but always get phased out by the enourmosity of it.

Canon Rock (in D? Lol)

I can play the first part up until you get into the power chord part with the little notes in between. Then at that part I can't play up to speed, but that is no worry as I'll just metronome my way there...

But I really struggle in memorising and learning all these long drawn out riffs that come after the Power chord part?

HELP!?
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Quote by leej11
Okay... I've attempted learning this many times but always get phased out by the enourmosity of it.

Canon Rock (in D? Lol)

I can play the first part up until you get into the power chord part with the little notes in between. Then at that part I can't play up to speed, but that is no worry as I'll just metronome my way there...

But I really struggle in memorising and learning all these long drawn out riffs that come after the Power chord part?

HELP!?

Just practice it until you can play it in your sleep. That's really the only way to learn long songs.

I've mastered several Dream Theater, Opeth, and other songs that run into the realms of 15-20 minutes and can get really complicated, but I just keep practicing each one over and over in little chunks until I can play them all the way at full speed without looking at the tab.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Don't expect to just learn all the tough parts because they're in the song. You have to go in and learn all the techniques before you're ready to play this song. It doesn't sound like this song is at your level but that you're trying to learn it to improve your skills. Yeah I've tried that too and it doesn't work. Practice chording, practice sweep picking, hone your timing and rhythm, and THEN tackle the song. There's no shortcuts.
Last edited by demoniacfashion at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by demoniacfashion
Don't expect to just learn all the tough parts because they're in the song. You have to go in and learn all the techniques before you're ready to play this song. It doesn't sound like this song is at your level but that you're trying to learn it to improve your skills. Yeah I've tried that too and it doesn't work. Practice chording, practice sweep picking, hone your timing and rhythm, and THEN tackle the song. There's no shortcuts.

there is no such thing a "your level" is there??
really long and hard

>_>

<_<

Just keep playing it. The best advice I can give you is to learn it and memorize it in small chunks. I can't tell you the amount of times I've learned a riff, played it 10 times and moved onto the next part of the song only to completely forget the riff I just learned.
Really, the long sections have really memorable charactaristics in this particular song. After the power chord section follows the chord progression one or two times. Try to remember each one as an individual and try to really remember the sounds and keep on thinking (while playing) what note you want to hit. It sounds allot more difficult than it is. The chorus section is hard to memorise at first, but you'll get the hang out of it.
Try learning the 'dorian' and 'phrygian' starting from respectively the 12 and 14th fret on the E string and you'll see how allot of the notes fall into those figures.

In the solo, it's important to really name each arpeggio, so you know what you are playing. It will make learning 'all those notes' allot easier.

And practice.
As far as the memorisation goes try working away from the instrument. During practice our heads can become filled with hundreds of pieces of individual instructions to remember. 1st finger here, 2nd fingers there, pick, count, tune etc, etc.

Freeing yourself from the instrument will clear many of these away and leave you free to concentrate on memorising the notes/chords that you need. When you return to the instrument you'll find it has been really useful.