I want to start recording my guitar onto my computer. My guitar teacher suggested that i buy an old digi design digi 001 recording system off of ebay and said that he would give me a copy of pro tools. I think i can get the recording system off of ebay for about 160$.

Is this my best recording option under 200$?
digi 001 sucks, really old technology at this stage.

are you absolutly dead-set on pro-tools?
if no then you have a lot of options open to you.
also, the 001 is not compatible with the most recent versions of protools,
support ended with version 5.

EDIT: have you budgeted for mics/cables/monitors/software/etc?
Last edited by TheDriller at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
digi 001 sucks, really old technology at this stage.

are you absolutly dead-set on pro-tools?
if no then you have a lot of options open to you.
also, the 001 is not compatible with the most recent versions of protools, i think support stopped with v6 or v7, im not sure.

EDIT: have you budgeted for mics/cables/monitors/software/etc?

No, I'm not dead set on pro tools, that is just what i was recommended. I just want a basic recording system and i am willing to pay for quality sound.
is the budget limited to $200? thats an awefully small budget.

what instruments will you want to record?
You could probably get an EMU 0202 USB interface with the standard failsafe Shure SM57 mic and an XLR lead for just around $200. The interface comes with both Sonar LE and Cubase LE, which are both decent to get you started.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Jake2
My guitar teacher suggested that i buy an old digi design digi 001 recording system off of ebay and said that he would give me a copy of pro tools.

Bad idea. Unless your teacher actually has a copy of ProTools that works with the Digi001 hardware. (Then again, anyone selling an old Digi001 really should be selling the software as well; they've always gone hand-in-hand.)

If you don't really care whether you get ProTools or not I suggest going with this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-TrackPack-LE-Recording-Package?sku=247007#new

Outstanding bang-for-your-buck really and everything you need to record in one package.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
yeah, cause torrenting is cool and all, and recording guitar in fruity loop is a great idea, ****ing tool.

fruity loops is the best DAW on the face of the earth.

anyways, by 'your guitar' do you mean electric or acoustic?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Thanks for the input ill look into the suggestions. My guitar is electric.