I have a 15 watt Peavey practice bass amp. In general, its a decent amp, but i recently got a schecter 5 string bass that seems to almost overpower it. When i go too high in volume (100% on the bass, about 40% on the amp) it starts to get very distorted, especially on the low end. I was wondering if an inexpensive effects pedal, such as a Boss GEB-7 Equalizer, or a LMB-3 Limiter Enhancer would make a difference. I was hoping to clean up the bass's sound and limit the distortion, especially on the low ends and higher volumes.....Please give me tips/opinions on which pedal would be more helpful, if at all.
is the bass active? with active basses i dont think you should have the volume on full, it results in distorting i believe.
yes, the bass features active electronics....i think there may still be distortion if the bass's volume is down a little and the amp's is just higher though.
umm the eq wont help. the amp cannot handle the output from your bass. an eq may make nicer sounding distortion but wont clean up your signal. turn your volume down for now (i know it hurts to do this) and start saving for a new amp
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
the distortion is just from the amp not being powerful enough. If you're just practicing, there's really no reason for you to have it turned up that high unless you live in a jackhammer, and if you're turning it that high because you need the volume for band practice, you're going to need a new, higher wattage amp before your practice amp breaks
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
im almost positive my amp is not capable of being hooked up to a preamp, but if it were, that would help the situation, wouldnt it?
Quote by TheRipper76
im almost positive my amp is not capable of being hooked up to a preamp, but if it were, that would help the situation, wouldnt it?

Maybe, but a more powerful amp would do the trick.
Well there isn't a way to make an amp any louder than it is, so I would suggest a more powerful amp.