So when I'm running through my single channel amp, my only way to shift from clean to OD is my guitar's volume knob, and I've been thinking, why not just make it a button? And in my limitted electronics knowledge I've come to a potential road block on how to do it. My thinking is just a basic A/B button, which I've used to make footswitches before, and have one option be straight from the pickup to the jack, and the other go through a pot housed in the body that would be set between 1 and 3 for low volumes. I just want to make sure my thinking isn't flawed...This is going in my squier strat, so if it doesnt work out, no big deal, just don't want to waste a lot o' time. Any alternative ideas for wiring would be much appriciated if they'll be easier.

Thanks,
-Chris
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
So when I'm running through my single channel amp, my only way to shift from clean to OD is my guitar's volume knob, and I've been thinking, why not just make it a button? And in my limitted electronics knowledge I've come to a potential road block on how to do it. My thinking is just a basic A/B button, which I've used to make footswitches before, and have one option be straight from the pickup to the jack, and the other go through a pot housed in the body that would be set between 1 and 3 for low volumes. I just want to make sure my thinking isn't flawed...This is going in my squier strat, so if it doesnt work out, no big deal, just don't want to waste a lot o' time. Any alternative ideas for wiring would be much appriciated if they'll be easier.

Thanks,
-Chris
This is called a "blower" switch.

Using a SPDT you can select the output to connect through the wiper (normal setting) or to the CW lug (blower setting) of the volume pot.

Alternately, you can use a DPDT switch and completely bypass the volume (and tone) control(s). With no load on the pickup other than the amp, the output is slightly increased, but the highs are VERY bright.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.