So, I want to learn theory in order to help me compose songs. I try to make things on my own, taking chords Opeth uses and try to get examples from them. Problem is, it's not working.
Which books do you recommend for me to read in order to learn theory and manipulate the music universe so masterfully and intricately as Mikael Akerfeldt?
And if you have any jump start material, I'd be happy to check em out.

Thanks.
Quote by ingames
I wouldn't be here if I hadn't already done that my friend.
First of all are you trying to straight up copy Akerfeldt or just make music to about the same standard?
Last edited by Nietsche at Jun 25, 2009,
Mikael isn't a theory guru. I watched a lesson with him teaching The Drapey Falls and he couldn't even name an Am(add9). Now, this doesn't make me like his music any less, just trying to put a little perspective out there.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Mikael isn't a theory guru. I watched a lesson with him teaching The Drapey Falls and he couldn't even name an Am(add9). Now, this doesn't make me like his music any less, just trying to put a little perspective out there.

I think I have seen that, when the interviewer askes what chord it is and kind of catches him off gaurd. Still a kickass song though.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by Freepower
Thank you god! Someone who reads stickies! Prayers = Answered.
I don't think he did actually. The whole I wouldn't be here if I hadn't done that thing was for the first post. If you look later on he quotes my post where I linked him to the sticky and says:
Quote by ingames
Not this. And read the sticky at the top of the page to get you started:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=503032
Ummmmm holy fckuing sh1t. That's....insane. Thanks dude, I have to get a pair of glasses huh. Any other recommendations/sources?