I like to play classic rock, some hard rock, van halen, guns n roses, i have a fat strat listed below. is that the best thing for classic rock? it was my first guitar so it wasnt gonna be fancy. do humbuckers really sound much different than single coils? i dont know im new to electric guitars and guitars themselves. what are humbuckers for? thanks for answering my noob questions.
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
i'm sure single coils will be good for classic rock as well, but you cant go wrong with fat strat for such stuff
humbuckers have magnets that negate the feedback that comes from single coils and helps control feedback. It also tends to give a fuller tone and better distorted tone. They were originally made to 'buck' the 'hum' of feedback from single coils.

Humbuckers work for every genre but sometimes the single coils are better choices because they pick up every little movement of the strings and let it sound instead of humbuckers which are less sensitive to what it sounds.
ok thanks. can u replace a humbucker with a single coil or will there be a big gap?
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Yea itll work, honestly HSS are not my favorite i prefer one humbucker guitar and one sss strat but hey whatever works for ya.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Only you can tell us if you got the right guitar for you.

this^

I personally prefer single coils in every musical situation except for tuning low and using a lot of distortion.

Strats are very versatile and work for almost everything. You shouldnt be disappointed
HSS guitars are probably your best bet for a first electric. It gives you a chance to compare SC and HB sounds and gives you more versatility. If you want a single coil sounding bridge, you can always pop a seymour duncan JB in there with a coil split.

Also, I noticed in your sig you say it's a '97 instead of an '09, I personally prefer the 90's fender MIM stuff, I think the necks were finished better IMO.

But, I think you made the best choice possible.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
a fat strat would be perfect for van halen, that's what he used.

Quote by Thomme
HSS guitars are probably your best bet for a first electric. It gives you a chance to compare SC and HB sounds and gives you more versatility.

But, I think you made the best choice possible.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?