Okay, so I'm gonna be going back to college this September, but I really want to release an EP.

Right now, my plans are to play shows, but how long should I play shows before I release my EP? I don't want to be unprofessional and keep people waiting while postponing my EP. I don't start gigging until July 17th, but I already posted a VERY rough demo of one of my songs on Myspace. When should I release my EP?

You can check out the song here if you want: www.myspace.com/alexberrymusic
I'd put up a track or two from the EP (the 'singles') on your myspace right now, so people could listen to you before they see. This way they know what they're getting, and it could really appeal to them and their friends.

I'd release the EP on the day of your first gig. That way you can sell the EPs during the show, when people are more willing to buy things like that.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
You should really start gigging as soon and as much as possible. As word gets out, there will be demand for albums. Though if you release one too soon, you likely won't sell many at all.
just go ahead and make it, and then start selling it at your shows.
that way, people can buy it the very first time they see you, and pass on the word to their friends.

alternatively, you may want to play the songs live for a little while, and let them develop before you record them.
How "done" are your songs? If you're confident that they have reached their final incarnation, then go ahead and record so you have use the CDs to promote at your shows. Just remember that once your record a song, it is pretty much finished. If you go on stage and a fan has heard the song from the album, that it essentially what they expect you to play.

Edit: Actually, it's only an EP, so do what you want. Just make sure it sounds good, handing out a poorly recorded CD can do more damage than good. If you can get your hands on real studio time without paying an arm and a leg, go that way. Otherwise scrape together $500-1000 for some passable equipment and download some free open source recording software (someone care to chime in with a recommendation?)
Last edited by Blaster Bob at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by bigcheese_1989
yeah I don't think it makes sense to release the EP on the day of my first gig.

Why not? Then you could tell that to your audience.

If you play a gig, and people really enjoy your music, they'll want to buy it. If you don't have your EP to sell, ready at hand:

a) Lose fans, for they might forget about it all
b) They'll go to your myspace, but only find a very rough demo of your song(s). This might turn them off.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??