Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the vocal area. I've been a guitarist for quite a while now and know how to handle things there, but now I've awakened an interest in vocals too. So, while listening to 'Memories of a Glass Sanctuary', I started wondering how the "phone line-effect" is emulated.

The song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ROHhY3d74

At about 0:58, you can hear the backing vocals being a bit distorted as if they really are played through a telephone-line or something alike. Also, if you do know how to emulate this effect, how would you proceed to create it when you have the basic microphone/guitar-equipment available.

Thanks in advance,
ItWillDo.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

that can be created a few different ways:

1. vintage condenser mic
2. cutting all but a single band on an EQ
3. compressed to ****

hope that helps
Quote by JayLacelle
that can be created a few different ways:

1. vintage condenser mic
2. cutting all but a single band on an EQ
3. compressed to ****

hope that helps

Ah I see, thanks.

Well now a sub-question to that one if you don't mind just to see if I really understood what you told me.

Since I don't have any vintage equipment #1 is not available.

And If I would put #2 to use, I can imagine that each band will produce a different sound, just which band would you advise me to leave open?

#3 seems as an interesting option too, would it be possible to do this with a compressor such as one used with guitars, or is this a form of compression which is only possible post-recording?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Cutting the high and low frequencies. Try different amounts for certain effects.

Also you could apply some slight overdrive or distortion to it. Maybe a cabinet simulator too?
Drop your bass completely.
Drop your mids to a minimum (or medium).
Keep your highs.

All on a multi-band compressor. Hope that helps!
Ya, if your doing it on like a 5 band EQ or larger, cut every other feq, and the ones you don't cut, boost, that's how I've done it with guitar (not exactly purposefully, just kinda screwing around :P)
You can use "SC4" in Audacity under "effects".

edit: it distorts the tracks. It'll give a different effect than the one on the video though, which is more subtle.

Quote by ItWillDo

And If I would put #2 to use, I can imagine that each band will produce a different sound, just which band would you advise me to leave open?

xperiment
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Jun 25, 2009,
not sure but you can get a cool voice effect, buy boosting the mids, rolling of the bass and treble, then adding a light distortion... that might be a cool alternative.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Zaphikh
Drop your bass completely.
Drop your mids to a minimum (or medium).
Keep your highs.

All on a multi-band compressor. Hope that helps!

That's how it's done
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Our singer does this effect live and what works quite well for him and looks pretty sweet at the same time using a megaphone.
Quote by Bright Light
Our singer does this effect live and what works quite well for him and looks pretty sweet at the same time using a megaphone.

muse does this too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PN6egPgazA
its at about 1:50 that he starts.
its so freakin AWESOME
anyone know where to get megaphones? I want one.
in adobe audition you have this thing called "telephone effect" yeah.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Keskimaki
Cutting the high and low frequencies. Try different amounts for certain effects.

Also you could apply some slight overdrive or distortion to it. Maybe a cabinet simulator too?

Amidst all the other bad advice, this is the one good answer.

It's not all highs. Upper mids, perhaps, but not high frequencies. If you roll off everything below, say, 16K it won't sound like what you're looking for.

Pick a narrow bandwidth around the upper mids... around 10-12K or so (adjust to taste) and boost that narrow bandwidth. Roll off everything above and below, add a little overdrive or distortion if it suits you and away you go.

A vintage condensor mic will usually sound awesome. If it sounds like a telephone, it is probably broken.

Compression won't hurt, but it won't help.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.