I just got Mixcraft 4.5 because it was recommended as a good alternative to Garageband, and It's MIDI accessible. From what I understood, you could just plug into a computer and record. For instance, I know a guy who has the Cakewalk software, and he just plugs into his amp which is plugged into his computer, and he starts recording stuff. Is this MIDI? What sort of stuff do I need to plug my amp into the computer if my idea of MIDI is correct?
thats not MIDI at all

what you looking for is a recording interface
the most poular i think are
presonus
mackie onyx
line 6 pod

you have to wiki it or google it
im not very good at a explaining but i try to explain what midi is
lets say u get a keyboard that is midi and you plug it into the computer the keyboard sends like a signal when you press the key and you can change what the key does like drums,trumpets,guitar it can imitate other instruments but not to the extend of dynamics like how loud how soft the scratching of strings basically the human effect on instrument
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
midi signals are basically triggers. a midi signal triggers sound..however alone, they make no sound. this is why it is so advantageous to record keyboards with midi. you can keep your "triggers" but you can change the sound to whatever you want after the fact. lets say you play a c. with midi, the trigger will be on c. it is then up to you to choose the sound you want to play. mixcraft will NOT do this for you. it will only record the midi triggers. you need a program such as reason or fl studio to do this. i reccomment using reason becasue it is far and beyond the most versitile midi software on the market. does this help?
its what most electric keyboards use, also i beleave it what the guitar pro and power tabs sounds come from
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Thanks guys, I get it now. Can anyone else recommend any good recording interfaces? I'm looking up Stefan's suggestions right now.
Quote by travs2448
its what most electric keyboards use, also i beleave it what the guitar pro and power tabs sounds come from

midi doesnt have a sound. it just triggers it.
Quote by FryingNemo
Thanks guys, I get it now. Can anyone else recommend any good recording interfaces? I'm looking up Stefan's suggestions right now.

i would reccomment buying the new reason 4. for midi, there is nothing like it. alot of people will say that fl studio is better but trust me on this..its not even comparable. If your going to be using reason, id reccoment pro tools as well. definatly dont get cubase or cakewalk. what they accel at in midi they are evened out by their ****tiness at everything else. reason+protools=epic win.

whats your budget and what do you need it for?
to mess around or to do serious recording?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
whats your budget and what do you need it for?
to mess around or to do serious recording?

Budget is no real issue unless it's some intensely complex piece of recording machinery. I'm willing to save up for a while for some good software.

I guess you could call what I do "Messing Around", but I am serious about it. I just want something to record with so I can more easily create my own music.
Forgive my double post, but I have a few more questions.

I'm Now very interested in the Line 6 POD Studio UX-1. With this, will I be able to record and layer tracks, or is it's only function to allow your computer to work as an amp?
It's a digital protocol for music devices. Basically a instruction set (think tcp/ip) that triggers events on the recieving end. It carries no audio. It gets sycronized with an audio signal (it attaches) - that signal could be just a dry one with no effects. The midi signal tells the machine recieving it's signal what to do. Usially it's activate a preset on the other machine.
I'm Now very interested in the Line 6 POD Studio UX-1. With this, will I be able to record and layer tracks, or is it's only function to allow your computer to work as an amp?

sorry i took a while to answer i forgot i posted here >_<

but yeah the pods are able to be use as an amp and mess around with different sounds and it can also be used to record is basically a recording device that sends the signals to the computer and the computer with the right software can record those signals also the signals can be modified and that's where you get the effects

i had a bad experience buying my first amp which was a spider 3 line 6 it had the worst tone ever so i dint get a line 6 but many people seem to use it and get decent quality

what i use is a mackie onyx satellite which i use with guitar rig 3 and im able to choose from arsenal of effects from guitar rig and with the mackie you can connect 2 guitars conected at same time and also you can plug 2 mics if needed and is portable so if you decided to pull it out of the dock

just youtube videos of line 6 pod and you hear people recording and also look for the mackie onyx

from what i saw and heard i chose a mackie but see which one you like better
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
The main use of MIDI in relation to guitars is for switching effects on & off and controlling various parameters of the effects. EG, you could set up a parametric eq in your software, then using a MIDI foot pedal you could change the frequency of the EQ, and you have a wah!
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis