so lately i have been getting into some improvisation, but the only scale i know to heart is the minor pentatonic. i play a little bit of every thing but i nomally play heavy metal so what are some important scales to know when improvising?
THIS IS MY SIG. BE JEALOUS.
all positions of the minor pentatonic scales. After that come the modes of the major scale and then the various minor scales. Finally, it's any scales you want.
Major pentatonic, arppeggios, major scale, there's no limit....if u mean most common when u say most important, then it gets old and repetitive. Practice till u know literally every note on the guitar you can use over the progressions and explore the stuff on your own
Know the seven modes of each diatonic scale. And then mess around with diminished and whole tone scales. What fun you shall have.
everything is based on the diatonic scale, specifically the major

everything else is based on them, them minor pent is based on them, but is the most common used in standard rock, since that is ultimately blues based.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by deaththrashcore
Know the seven modes of each diatonic scale. And then mess around with diminished and whole tone scales. What fun you shall have.

+1

Different scale modes are fun to play around with if you learn their theoretical application.

Seventh mode has a diminished fifth to play around with. All of the scales have different intervals to utilize together.

Once you have major and minor down definitely look into playing modally.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!