So I've been playing for about two years and I wanted to make it a point not to start blowing cash on pedals or gear until I felt I had reached a point in my playing that I "deserved" them, so to say.

I wouldn't say I'm too big on effects, I guess I'm looking for the "primary colors" of a guitarist's pedal set - I already read the ultimate wah thread and I think I'm going to go for a Vox 847a as it seems to fit my style best. I tend to play a lot of blues/jazz/prog rock/classic rock, so while I don't mind metal I'm not looking for that tone or sound.

What else should I consider?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments guys.

EDIT: I don't know if this helps, but my biggest influences would have to be David Gilmour, SRV, John Frusc, Mike Einziger, and Tom Morello. Pat Martino too, but he is a bit too clean to be on this list when I'm trying to look for pedal recommendations )
Last edited by moonlightdrive at Jun 25, 2009,
Do you have a proper amp? No need to get into pedals until you have the core covered.
^Agreed. Check out Damage Control pedals. I hear the Demonizer is supposed to be a great pedal.
there are a lot of guitarists that really really like the plug-and-play of just going strait into your amp

thats all i have to say on this, as my idea of tone is very, very metal
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
if you have a tube amp, a boost pedal/od can be useful to your tone
wah is essential to many
delay if you wish to expand your sonic atmosphere
chorus for big, beautiful clean tones

these are the only ones i'd ever buy/use
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
some kind of reverb, chorus. distortion/overdrive(depending on amp), delay, and wah pedal.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Blaster Bob
Do you have a proper amp? No need to get into pedals until you have the core covered.

That's to be covered in the purchase too - had my eye on one of those Blues Jr. NOS amps.

Until then I've been dicking away on the piece 15w Fender practice amp I've had for the past 6 years haha.
So ideally my amp would have reverb - so chorus, delay, overdrive/distortion? (And a wah, of course )

Any brand or specific pedal I should avoid or be wary of?
Analog vs digital?
What are the differences between DS-1 and DS-2?

Cheers, it seems like there's so much to know about all this and I'm just getting my feet wet, haha.
There are no must-have effects. Everyone has a different application.. I only use a delay and a boost. Some people use no effects. Some use lots. If you don't know already I'd suggest waiting until you know what you'll be using. And get a good amp first
Well the pedals you will want will depend on the type of amp you get. Some amps are extremely versatile and let get get away with almost nothing. There are other amps that sound mediocre until you put a boost or overdrive in front of it to drive the preamp. There are some amps that have almost no character at all, serving as a canvas for your pedals.

Your list of influences makes this a little difficult, SRV and David Gilmour I think each use one pedal, and only have a couple tones. On the other hand Mike Einziger has like 40 pedals (not exaggerating).

The Fender Blues Jr is recognized as a quality amp. I have not played one, but from what I've heard it has a great sound, but it only has that one sound. You may have trouble getting the clean tones you want for Jazz.

For what it's worth, my musical tastes are very similar to yours and I'm happy with my Traynor YCS-50 combo. It's only weakness is the open back design makes it a bit weak on the bass end. I once plugged it into a 2x12 closed back extension cab with Vintage 30's and was in bliss! The head costs almost as much as the cab with no cab, but could circumvent this problem. How much do you want to spend?
Haha yeah Einziger is a bit of a fiend..

Fair enough - it's between that or the Roland Cube 60 but I think I would prefer a tube tone over an SS.

I'll have to check out the Traynor, I'm looking to spend anywhere from 300-700 - I'm trying not to buy something that isn't practical but I'm trying to be reasonable about where I will go. I jam with friends often and I'm working on getting a good buddy of mine to pick up drums again. He's awesome but he just thinks baseball is more important...go figure. Worst sport.
Well, for all those styles...you want chorus, delay, overdrive, wah, and maybe a tuner? You might want more clean headroom for getting over drums. Look into the Traynor that Blaster Bob recommended.
Perhaps buy a multifx pedal. Although they don't have the best quality. It can give you an idea on what you like.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
Quote by Blaster Bob

Your list of influences makes this a little difficult, SRV and David Gilmour I think each use one pedal, and only have a couple tones. On the other hand Mike Einziger has like 40 pedals (not exaggerating).

I may be wrong, but doesn't Gilmour use many pedals? I know for sure he's uses Phase, Delay, Distortion (Muff), and wah. He's gotta use more than one pedal I can imagine. I've seen pictures of his set up and he's definitely using many pedals.

just my two cents

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Quote by MBradley2011
I may be wrong, but doesn't Gilmour use many pedals? I know for sure he's uses Phase, Delay, Distortion (Muff), and wah. He's gotta use more than one pedal I can imagine. I've seen pictures of his set up and he's definitely using many pedals.

just my two cents

You're right, now that I think of it. I'm sure I've heard a flanger and maybe a delay in a few songs, and I know that he ran the signal through a wah backwards to get the shrieks in Echoes. When I wrote that I was thinking off the top of my head of the kind of sounds he used in Comfortably Numb. Nothing fancy, just a good sounding overdrive and a lot of expressive playing.

Anyway, the Roland Cubes are recommended a lot on this forum, but always by metalheads to metalheads (and occasionally by metalheads who aren't thinking to non-metalheads). The combo version of that Traynor will peg out your expense range at exactly $700. The head is like $650, but not a very good deal unless you already have a cab.

There's quite a few inexpensive tube amps on the market right now. It's a nice luxury actually. If I were you I'd just start test driving all tube amps in the <=50 watt range. Even 15 watts of tube power with an efficient speaker can be VERY loud, but you may want to get more power than that if you're really interested in squeaky clean tones for jazz.
tuner << must have
reverb (usually built into amps)
delay
wah

anything else is just to tweak your sound imo

perhaps a bit of chorus too
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
boss ce-2 chorus is a must for me and a good wah, lately im diggin the kh95
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Budget permitting, I'd get a budda wah over the vox, and then a couple of dirt pedals (low gain, boost, and mid-gain). Maybe a delay
Quote by pak1351
Budget permitting, I'd get a budda wah over the vox, and then a couple of dirt pedals (low gain, boost, and mid-gain). Maybe a delay

Man, I really want one of those Budda wahs. WAY expensive though.
For me i would get:

EQ
Wah
OD
Chorus
Reverb
Delay
Distortion for some different dirt sounds
Noise gate

I reckon i would be happy with that, and if i had some more money i could get like a Phaser, Tremolo and a Digitech Whammy for some messing around.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Blaster Bob

David Gilmour definitely uses more than one pedal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
really, the only pedal i need is a nice OD and a Wah. that's what i really suggest people start with. most amps won't get as distorted as you would like, so it's nice to have a little extra push on your amp.

and Wah pedals are just fun.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
judging by your influences i'd recommend these pedals to get you started on the sound that your looking for:

dirt pedals: tubescreamer (modded if you can afford it) and EHX big muff
EQ: 6band MXR (if you feel your amps could benefit from it)
Wah: budda wah if you can other wise just go for the Vox

also don't go buying any pedals until you have a tube amp, and if you amp don't have any reverb you'll be wanting a reverb pedal as well.
Quote by mergapoot
judging by your influences i'd recommend these pedals to get you started on the sound that your looking for:

dirt pedals: tubescreamer (modded if you can afford it) and EHX big muff
EQ: 6band MXR (if you feel your amps could benefit from it)
Wah: budda wah if you can other wise just go for the Vox

also don't go buying any pedals until you have a tube amp, and if you amp don't have any reverb you'll be wanting a reverb pedal as well.

Tube amps are not the end all for good tone. i've played some pretty tasty SS amps, and i've played some horrid tube amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jun 27, 2009,
Well, the guitarists you listed are pretty...eclectic. I'd start with this:

MXR Carbon Copy (tried it yesterday, lives up to the hype no doubt)
Vox V847
Boss DS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone

I'd buy in that order. Don't bother with an EQ right now. What amp do you have?
Quote by mmolteratx
David Gilmour definitely uses more than one pedal.

If you would finish reading before posting, you would see that mistake was already cleared up...
Quote by moonlightdrive
So ideally my amp would have reverb - so chorus, delay, overdrive/distortion? (And a wah, of course )

Any brand or specific pedal I should avoid or be wary of?
Analog vs digital?
What are the differences between DS-1 and DS-2?

Cheers, it seems like there's so much to know about all this and I'm just getting my feet wet, haha.

be careful with boss pedals, most of them are kind of bad
digitech are on the same level
Tuner, Wah, OD, Chorus, maybe a Flanger/Phaser and Delay.

Delay set super short is basically reverb.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.