Ok, despite all the things that have happened today in the celebrity realm, this is not to talk about specific incidents of any celebrities who have died, but rather to discuss the ways that as a society we have become so consumed with celebrities and their lives. The world stops for someone who was rich, famous, and had lives we all envy and I feel that this should be looked into further.

Some of the strongest references to this that I have seen are when Dimebag died the people wearing the black ribbons for weeks and weeks. (I even live close to the cemetery in which he is buried and people go get wasted at his grave, which is very sad to me). When Elvis and Lennon died. These are the big ones that stand out in my mind. So please share your opinions on why you think it is that the world is so entwined with celebrities as to stop their lives because someone they dont know dies.

Im honestly, genuinely curious about this, which is my only point for this thread.
because these people's work has made a difference to a lot of people's lives.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
We share emotional connections to celebrities as their actions inspire and intrigue us. When they die, it's as if a family member died.

It's how we're built.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Because they made music which affects how you are in life.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
People get upset about this because they idolize these people. Whether it is a musician, actor, politician, etc., these people make a large enough impact on someone's life that they get really upset about their death.
If this thread is closed it will be because of ignorance, not because any wrong doing is taking place....

But Johnny, I do agree that alot of people feel musicians have an impact on their lives, yet if thats the case, why not show it while the person is alive. Why does the world feel the need to wait until their death to show their love for someone and their work.
Quote by Just Andrew
We share emotional connections to celebrities as their actions inspire and intrigue us. When they die, it's as if a family member died.

It's how we're built.

this.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by daytripper75
People get upset about this because they idolize these people. Whether it is a musician, actor, politician, etc., these people make a large enough impact on someone's life that they get really upset about their death.

This.
Quote by music_mike
Why does the world feel the need to wait until their death to show their love for someone and their work.

But we do show them while they are alive...go to their concerts, wear their t-shirts, buy their gear, etc.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
but if you think about, people come out of the woodwork when someone dies.... Kennedy is a good one for me to mention now because when Kennedy was assassinated, alot of people who hated the man felt the need to act as if they cared after he died. They hated him prior to his assassination and some even vocalized their hatred for the man, yet these same people switched sides as soon as he was announced to be dead.