Any bands from jazz to metal, hell some foo fighters use it
the extra 5th can both be a lower or higher note, it used to be commonly higher but is now a Lower B

and its all preference about having it
It's worth it unless your hand is tiny. You don't even need to play music that has the low notes of a 5 string, you can play 4 string songs with less hand movement. It's actually a lifesaver when I play jazz, seeing as how complicated a walking bassline can get, it's nice to do it without jumping around as much.
Quote by pwrmax
It's worth it unless your hand is tiny. You don't even need to play music that has the low notes of a 5 string, you can play 4 string songs with less hand movement. It's actually a lifesaver when I play jazz, seeing as how complicated a walking bassline can get, it's nice to do it without jumping around as much.

very true

however that Low B is handy for walking up to the E and such. Also the fact i never have to retune now when my band goes into Drop D - but that depends on the style of music
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
very true

however that Low B is handy for walking up to the E and such. Also the fact i never have to retune now when my band goes into Drop D - but that depends on the style of music

I like having the D for jazz, for I think I'd prefer a four string downtuned for rock or something. Chugging on the B isn't the same as on an open D.