I know NOTHING about the guitar. I am looking to learn to play electric guitar over the summer, and I really need help picking one out. I will mainly be paying metal and rock, with some more melodic solos as well. My budget is 300-400 dollars for the guitar and amp/speaker.

The guitar: Looking for a beginners model, I would like to order it online. I want one with a clean tone. Looks do matter somewhat to me, I would prefer a gloss or metallic color to woodgrain pattern. If it came bundled with a decent amp that would be great.

The amp/speaker: I would also like to order this online, and I also would like this to have a clean tone. Special effects are not important to me, and I would like it to be easy to set up. I do not need a very loud speaker, as I will mainly be playing at home.

Learning to play: I could really use a book or 2 teaching actual guitar technique. Other important topics could be care and maintenance, general information, BUT NOT how to read music or music theory.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help me,
Kel
look at the laguna rock pack in black, around $350, its pretty good for a beginner
I strongly, strongly recommend you learn music theory. Not necessarily how to read music but music theory is essential to mastering the instrument. Without theory, you have no idea why anything sounds good or bad. If you would be willing to struggle through learning to read music, William Leavitt has some very good books for beginners.
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by guitarded32 at Jun 25, 2009,
What genres do you play? Would you ever need distortion?

I'd say get a Roland Micro Cube. Great cleans, and later down the road you can get a distortion pedal to sound good dirty.
As for your guitar, search on eBay for Raven West Guitar. If you see a Les Paul shaped guitar, go for it. It should be the RM300DX, but I'm not too sure............
Wow, this is a fast forum. The reason I said I didn't need to learn to read music is because I already know. I've played violin for the past 13 years.
Nice. Violin''s good ****. I love guitar tracks mixed with violin. Anyways, have you checked out our suggestions?
I quickly looked at the 2 bundles that people suggested, but I'll have to read more into them later.
I looked at the raven west guitars on ebay, but it seems like they would break my budget after I bought an amp too.
I do like the look of the roland micro cube a lot, it looks like just the right size for what I need. So maybe you could recommend a slightly cheaper guitar, and I could still get that amp.
Maybe I would just be better off buying a bundle though, to make sure I got the things I needed and to simplify this alot...
for the guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Jagmaster-Electric-Guitar-102809159-i1150688.gc (another good alternative would be an epiphone g-400)
Squier makes good guitars, just dont get a squier strat(especially the bullet, its pure sh!t)

for the amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc
(another good alternative would be a Roland Microcube, just whatever you do, do not get a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider III)
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jun 25, 2009,
DO NOT GET AN EPI G-400!!! I have scars from the last time I played one. Literally. And the Raven West Guitars cost like $300 on eBay. That's usually what the winning bids are. So with that and the Micro Cube, that's $400.
Quote by mamosa
DO NOT GET AN EPI G-400!!! I have scars from the last time I played one. Literally. And the Raven West Guitars cost like $300 on eBay. That's usually what the winning bids are. So with that and the Micro Cube, that's $400.

Mine has a few minor flaws, but there is no such thing as a perfect guitar in this price range. How do you have scars from playing one? Seriously, im interested in hearing this story.

Also, the thread starter could go with Agile
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Agile could definitely work.

And, David_Bowie=GOD, I was hanging out with a friend at his house and he said, "Hey, I just got a new guitar from my uncle." So he takes it right out of the box and gives it to me to play, since he doesn't know how to play yet. I start playing. My fingers GET MOTHER****ING SLICED BY THE FRETS!!!! AMBUSH! I AM BLEEDING LIKE ****ING CRAZY BECAUSE EPIPHONE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE PROPER FRETS!!!!!!

/storytime
Quote by mamosa

And, David_Bowie=GOD, I was hanging out with a friend at his house and he said, "Hey, I just got a new guitar from my uncle." So he takes it right out of the box and gives it to me to play, since he doesn't know how to play yet. I start playing. My fingers GET MOTHER****ING SLICED BY THE FRETS!!!! AMBUSH! I AM BLEEDING LIKE ****ING CRAZY BECAUSE EPIPHONE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE PROPER FRETS!!!!!!

/storytime

Are you sure it was a G-400? My frets are fine, with the exception of a little buzz. Mine plays comfortably, you must have just gotten a bad one. In this price range, guitars are usually hit or miss as far as quality goes.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by mamosa

/storytime

that happened to me once too, at a sharper image store. they had a little starters bundle, so im like why the **** not, ill jam on this thing. cuts are gone now, thank god. but i never knew that a guitar could be made so poorly
and on topic, definately look at agile and maybe some used gear.
BUT if you have a local music shop around, some tend to have much lower prices than say, musicians friend.
for example they had this LTD mh-1000 a guitar priced around 1000 usd
it was for sale, brand new, for 675 WOW!
check there, you also might find something really nice and ull be able to try hands on.

i reccomend this guitar
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516634#new

and this amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908#new

haha theyre both vipers xD
didnt see that coming
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
Last edited by Nolifemusician3 at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Are you sure it was a G-400? My frets are fine, with the exception of a little buzz. Mine plays comfortably, you must have just gotten a bad one. In this price range, guitars are usually hit or miss as far as quality goes.

It was a G-400. And you don't want to give a n00b guitars that can be hit or miss because they can't tell if a guitar is good or not...... With a setup, RWG are unrivaled in their price range SIH.
Quote by mamosa
It was a G-400. And you don't want to give a n00b guitars that can be hit or miss because they can't tell if a guitar is good or not...... With a setup, RWG are unrivaled in their price range SIH.

true, but in many cases they would rather buy from a store, not ebay. If the TS is willing to buy from ebay, the RWG is the best he could get, otherwise he would have to take a chance with anything he bought.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^