No one in my band has a remotely formal education except the drummer who threw away several weeks of drum lessons. Out of us all I know the most music theory from long night a-studying by the computer, also by this method making me the most technically proficient. It is pretty much agreed that I am the most advanced member, and not that I'm elitist or something, but that bugs me. The drummer has this "Oh yeah man! Were real punk music cause I don't know sh!t!" attitude and the bassist has potential but no will power to grow. The point of this story being; How can I get them to improve?
We're all friends so whenever I suggest that they take lessons or actually start working on getting better they just laugh and toss it off, even as my tone becomes more serious. One idea was for me to atleast teach the bassist, since I play guitar, but Im not too great a teacher myself.
Help?
Even from just jamming with each other you will always learn. Practise with focus and purpose and you will see a large improvement in the way you all play. For music theory though it is different. You need to sit down and learn it.
Pretend we're dead..
You dont have to know theory to be good man. Now if they dont practice then they dont care.
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Successful punks are not stupid. Successful people are not stupid. Iggy Pop is smart as hell.
The more you learn about everything the better off off you will be.
Oops, one too many offs. BTW, people who are proud of their ignorance, aren't worth....well, you know.
i'd like to see a new wave of technical punk bands bringing the government down with
triplets and 15/16 timing
be the forerunners?( im now expecting someone to either say punk cant be technical or show me a technical punk band..if so do the latter coz im actualyl quite curious)
its not terrible the bassist not knowing much itd be damn good if he did but its not gunna destroy your band
but the drummer? is he ****ing retarded? he needs to keep the rest of you all in time if he knows **** all theory he won't know how to keep himself in time
he's the one that needs teaching. tell him it simply and straight to the point
drums are the main instrument that needs to know music theory and without it the band will always be un-tight
In my experience, being the most technically proficient member in a band is actually quite an annoying spot to take up. My last band had huge issues because I, as the lead guitarist, had more theoretical knowledge than the rhythm guitarist. Being the only person who actually wrote music too meant that most of my songs contained a lot of theoretical play. The other members of the band became first very envious and then very bitter because they didn't understand a word of what I was trying to explain.
Our singer and guitarist know just about no music theory, but me (the bassist) and the drummer know quite a bit and we are alright off. I think mainly you want the drummer and songwriter to know theory. Unless you are like the Beatles and can come up with perfect stuff without knowing theory.
Quote by due 07
Unless you are like the Beatles and can come up with perfect stuff without knowing theory.

stfu, if u are saying that paul, george and john didn't know anything about theory you either don't know enough about the beatles or you are a retard
Quote by havokca
It's like homer said:

First you get the guitar
Then you scallop the frets
Then you get the women

ARGENTINO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
yeah i know what youre' talking about... bassist in our band went to a punk concert one day.. ( we dont really play punk) however he was so amazed, that he wouldnt stop playing with his pick.. he'd only make simple bass lines etc...

whenever we make a new song me and the drummer have to figure an interesing bassline for the bassist to play instead of GGGGGG CCCCCC DDDDDDD
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Posbe
stfu, if u are saying that paul, george and john didn't know anything about theory you either don't know enough about the beatles or you are a retard

Hmm, I must have offended you. Neither of them could read music, John knew about zero theory. Paul at least new the basis of like I IV V and George knew quite a bit more. I am talking about when they first started, not when they broke up or when they made Sgt. Peppers or anything like that.