I recently went to my local guitar store, and of course brought my guitar like I usually do. This time, I tried out some tube amps, instead of playing through just anything that came to my mind. My normal amp is an old Line 6 AX2, not a bad amp, but not great.
Playing out of the tube amps (Marshalls, Peavys, Egnater, etc.) made my EMGs sing wa more than I've ever gotten out of my amp.
I'd like some advice on getting a dependable gigging amp (my band includes me, a bassist, drummer, and keyboardist) that can do just 2 things- singing cleans and quite crunchy dirty sounds.
I'd prefer something that doesn't require pedals, but don't pass over an amp because of that (all I have right now pedal-wise are a MXR phaser, a Boss SD-1 Overdrive and a random no name chrous pedal).
Thanks for any advice guys.
Oh, and I'm hoping to keep it under a grand.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Used Randall RM50 with an Ultra XL, Grail, KH-3 (those excel at uber high gain), SL+, Mr. Scary, KH-2, or XTC (more versatile while still doing high gain great) module for your high gain, and a clean module of some sorts like the KH-1, Blackface, Super V, or the regular Clean module for your cleans. The KH-1 is designed to be used with active pickups, but if you max out the level on the module and use the gain control for volume, it minimizes the effects of the high gain pickup on the cleans and keeps them from overdriving as soon. Listen to clips of as many of the modules as you can and try them out to decide which ones you want. There's a lot of them here.
http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Search eBay and your local Craigslist for good deals. You may also like to swap the speaker unless you nab the Lynch Box 50, as the regular RM50 has a G12T-75, which can be too scooped for some people. Either way, if you get everything used in a good condition for a good price, you should be able to keep it under a grand, and it will sound AMAZING and require no attenuator (as the amp has master volume with individual channel volumes).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Duh.

EMGs only really work on tube amps.

EDIT: Oh, and just to be helpful: Get an RM50/100, or a used DSL100, if you need cleans for under a grand. Or a Mark III.

Or you can cheap out and get something like a VH-140c, but your fragile harmonics might die in the crystal lattice of the transistors.
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by imgooley

EDIT: Oh, and just to be helpful: Get an RM50/100, or a used DSL100, if you need cleans for under a grand. Or a Mark III.

Or you can cheap out and get something like a VH-140c, but your fragile harmonics might die in the crystal lattice of the transistors.

They overdrive tube amps, isn't that the point of them?
You said you played some Egnaters. The Rebel 20 would suit you well (and i'm totally not biased because I'm buying one soon (sarcasm))

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
They overdrive tube amps, isn't that the point of them?

No, they are active pickups, nothing else. Active means that they modify the signal from the strings with an external power source and they contain a preamp. Nothing else. Do they have higher output? Yes. Does that mean that they sound bad through a transistor amp? No. A lot of people boost SS amps to great effect.
Quote by imgooley
No, they are active pickups, nothing else. Active means that they modify the signal from the strings with an external power source and they contain a preamp. Nothing else. Do they have higher output? Yes. Does that mean that they sound bad through a transistor amp? No. A lot of people boost SS amps to great effect.

K.