I was recently looking at the Peavey Windsor head. I like what I see so far, haven't been able to try it out yet, but I have some questions. I heard that it's a Marshall clone to a degree, so does it sound like a Marshall? And will it do 90's Green Day, Weezer, Blink-182, and such? Thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
The windsor is a British-voiced amp, so think along the lines of Marshall, Vox. The distortion is GREAT for the price and it goes really really loud. The only problem is the clean channel.... or more the lack of. You can't get cleans on this head. The way I look at it is, you should buy the windsor and a Fender combo. Then you have good 6L6 cleans and good EL84 drive.
You then would just need to buy an AB/Y switch and you're all set. I'd rather do that than buy, say, a 3120 head, just because of the versitality you get.

edit- never mind, i just saw you already have a blues junior. Go for the Windsor and buy a AB/Y switch. Maybe put some money towards a better guitar in the future as well.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Jun 25, 2009,
Go for the Windsor + a good cab and A/B it with your BJ. The Windsor cab isn't too great.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've been thinking about doing this too...Windsor for rhythm, Egnater for leads.

If you do it, I want clips.

Edit: I just realized my cab is only 60 watts, and the head is 100 watts.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Jun 25, 2009,
You should be able to do the "pull 2 tubes" and cut the output power in half on the Windsor right? If I ever got one that is probably what I would do. I wonder how running the Windsor and my Mesa in stereo would sound? hmmm.....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You should be able to do the "pull 2 tubes" and cut the output power in half on the Windsor right? If I ever got one that is probably what I would do. I wonder how running the Windsor and my Mesa in stereo would sound? hmmm.....

I've always wondered about that. Is that actually possible?

TS: Sorry for sort of jacking your thread....but yes I agree that you should do the A/B/Y technique!
Well, since we don't have a lot of money (my family) I was thinking maybe to return the Blues Jr. (I don't like the drive, even with an overdrive pedal, not punk sounding) and buying the Windsor. Cleans aren't all that important to me, and if it distorts a bit, I don't really care, because I think it sounds cool. If I ever need cleans anyway, I could just use my big 80's Marshall combo amp or my MG30DFX (Shut up =P) if I'm that desperate for them. Maybe if I could find a way to get enough money I'll keep the BJ and then buy the Windsor.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Guys i yesteday found that the Windsor Stacks arent available anymore?? neither in GC nor in MF... what happened??
also the question is... what cab shall i use to get the best sounding ... the stack was 500 only and i would like to stay in the same price... ie 300 for the head and 200-300 forthe cab...

PS for cleans youcan just plug to the low gain keepo the gain (or pre-gaoin or whatever knob it is) to 1-2 and youcan get a pretty descend clean... hmmm may be use a overdrive pedal to go from clean todistortion
or youcould makea clean channel on your own? or give it to an amp mod-er
apart from damage your amp in the long run, that pulling tubes thing does nothing.

a 100 watt british voiced head is designed to run with 4 x EL84 power valves, is is designed to work with 4 and shouldnt be made to run with any less.

would you pull bits out of your car engine to make it run slower?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

the valveking head has really boomy cleans, but the windsor doesnt really clean up (which isnt really a problem if you dont use sparkling cleans)

the valvekings distortions suck compared to the windsors

but the valveking has the convenience of footswitchable channels.

its down to preference, what you like best.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

well id say ima hard rock/blues player.. i have a strat which i use forblues and hard.. .hmm yeah i guess i use cleans a lot as well as distorted sounds.. hmm as im a solo guitaristi also love distortion... andi also love the metal.. heavy metal like White snake ironmaiden... and Avenged sevenfold.... ima buy a new guitar for the metal...definately the Epiphone Em-2 FX
hmmm anyways which one would be the best?? i guess VK but it's twice of the price of windsor but has a clean channel... hmm i guess ima take the VK soon with12 month financing in GC?? PS also it says it has a Footswitchable channel, boost, and effects loop? with only two SW pedal?? or is the loop for the windsor??
you should ABY the windsor and the blues jr. and then to get metal tones get a good distortion pedal (dont ask me which) to drive the windsor further
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
avatar cabs are great but a little overpriced

I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by stratomaster15
Well, since we don't have a lot of money (my family) I was thinking maybe to return the Blues Jr. (I don't like the drive, even with an overdrive pedal, not punk sounding) and buying the Windsor. Cleans aren't all that important to me, and if it distorts a bit, I don't really care, because I think it sounds cool. If I ever need cleans anyway, I could just use my big 80's Marshall combo amp or my MG30DFX (Shut up =P) if I'm that desperate for them. Maybe if I could find a way to get enough money I'll keep the BJ and then buy the Windsor.

A good dirtbox or overdrive (like the MIA CrunchBox or the Fulltone OCD) might allow you to do the same thing as the A/B/Y through the clean Blues Junior and cost half the price.

I'd stop by a guitar shop and start test driving.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Bugera 1990?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I've owned my windsor halfstack since around the end of February and I love it. It CAN get usable cleans provided:

a.)you keep the preamp volume down below 1
b.) you don't max out your guitar's volume and tone pots like a n00b
c.) sounds best on your neck pickup

as for the distortion, it's good on it's own, but with a bbe sonic stomp it sounds damn good.

I'd say all in all it's a fantastic amp and I'd keep it in my rig for sure.

If you're looking to do teh br00t4lz, then you might want to consider the 3120 instead. (truthfully after looking this amp over real well, it's the best amp head I've found for a grand or under. It's a 3 channel high gain amp, it has eq for each channel, a line out for recording, fx loop with adjustable fx send and return, and all in all, it just kicks ass. GC is doing the free cab with it again)
Quote by vigenharutyunya
Guys i yesteday found that the Windsor Stacks arent available anymore?? neither in GC nor in MF... what happened??
also the question is... what cab shall i use to get the best sounding ... the stack was 500 only and i would like to stay in the same price... ie 300 for the head and 200-300 forthe cab...

PS for cleans youcan just plug to the low gain keepo the gain (or pre-gaoin or whatever knob it is) to 1-2 and youcan get a pretty descend clean... hmmm may be use a overdrive pedal to go from clean todistortion
or youcould makea clean channel on your own? or give it to an amp mod-er

they are still in stock on the GC website as of today.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head-104003298-i1166254.gc

they can do the punk tone pretty well from what ive heard
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by HouseBoy83 at Jun 28, 2009,
vigenharutyunya, seriously? This is the second time I've seen you threadjack. Make your own damn thread.

TS, as far as a good "punk" sound, it will be fine.
^can you please make your own thread ?
please
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me