Sorry if there's a thread for this that I've missed, just figured I should ask people who've done this before. Would this be too much for a first build? I've got some woodworking experience so it's not as if I'm going into this totally blind.

- Neck-through
- String-through
- Mahogany wings, belly/forearm carve, neck wood showing, because that's just CLASSY.
- Five-piece laminate neck, mahogany/flame maple/mahogany/flame maple/mahogany, maybe with ebony veneer between?
- Ebony fret board, no fret markers. 14" radius
- 24 medium-jumbo frets
- Probably 25.5" scale
- 6 strings, though I've been feeling 7 recently.
- tune-o-matic
- Grover locking tuners
- Any nut recommendations? I'm not really familiar with nut pros/cons.

Anyone see anything that might be a bit wonky with this?
dude!!! do a 11 string guitar. 4 strings for bass and 7 for guitar. that would be sick
Shouldnt be, you might have to just go a little slower to make sure you ddont mess up.
You will be fine. Assuming you have the tools for it, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything crazy difficult.

And tusq/bone nuts are what you're going to probably get a lot of suggestions for as this doesn't have a trem.

Quote by ampoverload
dude!!! do a 11 string guitar. 4 strings for bass and 7 for guitar. that would be sick

Bass guitars octave the last four strings on a six string guitar. This means they already share one common string with a standard guitar, and two with a seven string. So I believe you're actually suggesting a 9 string guitar. Regardless, this isn't a good suggestion. Doing something as non standard as a 9 string for a first build would be very complicated and take a lot more time and calculation then it's worth. Six and seven are pretty standard, they're a much better thing to build for a first guitar. It also creates problems with scale length being proper for each string, which has the only really good fix of creating a multi-scaled fretboard of some type. It's hard enough to make sure you're doing a regular fretboard's fret cuts correctly.

Regardless of how you look at it, it's NOT a good idea to do something that abstract for a first guitar.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Jun 25, 2009,
you planning on building the neck? that might be a little challenging, but absolutely do-able
Quote by ohspyro89
That isn't that hard. I find neck throughs are the easiest to build anyways. Belly cuts are easy.

The rest is simple, are you going to cut your own fret slots and do all that? Because it sucks.... straight up.

Yep. Doing all of that myself. I know it probably won't be exactly right, but I need to learn how, right? I'll also be building jigs myself.

Quote by ampoverload

I'd actually like to build a 5 string bass at some point

Quote by jake911
Shouldnt be, you might have to just go a little slower to make sure you ddont mess up.

I figured. I'm a careful person, I like perfection in things that I actually enjoy doing.

Quote by C/ruel
You will be fine. Assuming you have the tools for it, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything crazy difficult.

And tusq/bone nuts are what you're going to probably get a lot of suggestions for as this doesn't have a trem.

The only thing I don't have is a band saw and a planer, though I know plenty of people with those, via my dad. I was also thinking a bone nut for that very reason, but I wasn't sure if my reasoning was good.

Oh, also, for anyone interested, it's going to be a single bridge pickup, one volume, and a killswitch. This pickup, though I might do their active (the black betty if I could find them... I enjoy those pickups).
All good advice, the only thing I would say, is regarding the title.

Virtuous should be replaced with ambitious.

Best of luck with the build.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Just do LOADS of research and follow the other threads, learn from other peoples mistakes. You'll be fine
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
unless you really want a set neck i would recommend a bolt on for ease, but if your confident with a set neck go for it
bolt on projects are fun too. just buy a neck and buy a peice of wood with the neck pocket done for you. lots of places sell them.

or build the neck thru. 9 string aint happenin. its gotta be fan fret or daul scale. its just not happening. fan fret means individual saddles and you have to measure and cut all the angled frets. its really super difficult.

even 7 string is not recommended since you have a lot less to choose from in the bridges and pickups.

it really racks my brain trying to get exactly what I want but in a seven string. thats why I'm not doin it for my first. stop by sevenstring.org if you do decide to go the way of the seven.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Skeet UK
All good advice, the only thing I would say, is regarding the title.

Virtuous should be replaced with ambitious.

Best of luck with the build.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with that, haha. I'm usually not so horribly mixed up with my vocabulary.

Thanks.
Quote by Issor
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with that, haha. I'm usually not so horribly mixed up with my vocabulary.

Thanks.

It happens to the best of us dude. I once wished someone a Happy Xmas and a Merry New Year...very embarrassing. Mind you, they were one of hose weird, people who make you feel uncomfortable when you speak to them and I was about 12, so....
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!