What would you say the best way to promote a show in another town would be? We have somewhat of a fan base in our town, but this show is 20 miles away. We've never played at this venue before and we literally feel like we're walking in without a clue of how many people might show up.

The venue is going to book 2 other bands with us, so hopefully they will be some local bands that will bring some people in, but we'd like to promote as much as possible.

This gig is on July 25th, so we have a month.

Any tips or suggestions?
Last edited by Souls United at Jun 25, 2009,
pwn nubs. go on myspace(lame), put up fliers in the town your playing(given you want to drive there and do it, and finally word of mouth.
Quote by -tempest-
pwn nubs. go on myspace(lame), put up fliers in the town your playing(given you want to drive there and do it, and finally word of mouth.

Should we just go on myspace and add random people from the town where we're playing? We do have a myspace.

The venue will be putting up flyers.

And we are telling people to tell people.
Go to my last post about a guy who wants a flyer.

This sounds cliche', but does a tree that falls in the woods, with nobody to hear it make a sound? Of course it does, it is a physical property. It creates sound waves. Whether anyone perceives it or not, sound is still created. The question is, how do you get people to hear your tree falling?
Answer: Get as many people into the forrest as you can.

How to do that is more complicated. My post will give you a few tools. The thing is, it appears that some of you still don't really understand music, although creative, is a business, and you have to treat it as such. Why do some people want a Big Mac? Because a bunch of ad companies told them they're good! Your music is your product. Gene Simmons and Kiss kill at this aspect. Personally, I don't like what they do, but I still know about them. Ask yourself why. The answer is easy, they spend more time promoting themselves, and like him or not, Gene is really good at it. I respect that. You don't make $38M/year without working everything you can, as hard as you can.
Quote by Souls United
Should we just go on myspace and add random people from the town where we're playing? We do have a myspace.

Please don't do that. If your band doesn't have enough of a reputation there to have fans, I doubt you'll be able to suddenly create some out of nowhere.

Get in touch with the other bands on the bill as soon as you can - maybe you can help each other out. Get a few flyers printed and take a trip there to stick them up everywhere you can.

Pay-to-play promoters and 'industry gurus' make it seem like music is a competition, but that's just a ploy to make people sell tickets. Music is all about who you know - if you and the other bands can work together it will benefit you all.
Quote by kyle62
Please don't do that. If your band doesn't have enough of a reputation there to have fans, I doubt you'll be able to suddenly create some out of nowhere.

Get in touch with the other bands on the bill as soon as you can - maybe you can help each other out. Get a few flyers printed and take a trip there to stick them up everywhere you can.

Pay-to-play promoters and 'industry gurus' make it seem like music is a competition, but that's just a ploy to make people sell tickets. Music is all about who you know - if you and the other bands can work together it will benefit you all.

Ok, the issue is that we don't know what the other bands are yet. The bands we were going to book along with us turned out to have another show that they didn't have posted on their Myspace yet, so now the venue is going to get some random bands =/

We do have about 20-25 people we know will be at the show, and thats the minimum that we would need to get rebooked, so thats a good thing, but we want to get as many as possible to show up.