I'm thinking of getting a fender strat and I was wondering if it sounds okay with rock music and a decent amount of distortion. Any comments/suggestions?
Go down to the near store with your pedals and look for the amp you have in mind and just play a strat. In my opinion strats are one of the most versatile guitars so if you are going into heavy stuff you just might need to change the pickups. A lof of metal players avoid the use of a strat because it sounds ´thin´ but another lot of shredders use the strat.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
You can use as much distortion as you want, but if you don't have a pedal to get rid of the feedback, you're screwed. I recommend you save up for a noise suppressor pedal.
It depends really, you can get pretty crunchy with a Strat, just so long as you don't try Thrash or anything.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by misterfarenheit
if youre relatively new to playing guitar, i would recommend blocking off the bridge, keeping it in tune can be a pain sometimes

?? maybe if you had the trem on an angle but pretty most of the vintage style trems are flat on the body so the only tuning problems one can have is when they put new strings on it.

and ts yeah the strat will do fine though pickups are sub par imo though it could of been the fender hot rod deluxe but we'll never know....
get a hss strat
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by guitaristX14
I'm thinking of getting a fender strat and I was wondering if it sounds okay with rock music and a decent amount of distortion. Any comments/suggestions?

No, Fender brainwashed all those famous rockstars into using their mediocre, overpriced junk.