I know they're both solid state, but I was told by a friend that the 8200 Bi Chorus sounded decent.

I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the two amps, and what the difference was.

Any information on the two amps would be very helpful, I couldn't find much and the Harmony Central reviews weren't that helpful.
Last edited by Crydius at Jun 25, 2009,
I own an 8100 and it is a brutal amp. I use it for Tech death and progressive metal but it can do quite a bit of things. It was used by Chuck Schuldiner of Death to record Sound of Perseverence and The Jester Race by In Flames. Prong also used it, I believe...

The 8100 isn't as rare as the Bi Chorus and not as loud, but you can gig with it easily, as my band has done frequently. I got the 8100 used on Ebay for $350, but I don't know about the Bi Chorus. I have heard that Meshuggah used the Bi Chorus.

In short, the 8100 is a great amp for metal but it can do a myriad of other things quite well. I love my amp and would never part with it. and truth be told, it sounds pretty damn good through an MG cab, which are pretty damn cheap. I used to own an AVT cab but traded for an MG because the 8100 came through the MG clearer.
I found an 8100 for $100, and a bi chorus for $250.

Not sure which to jump at.
bump.

Which would be a better buy/more worth it?

Valvestate 8100 for $100 or Valvestate 8200 Bi Chorus for $250?
both if u have the cash. if not 8100
Guitars:
Dean DOA ML 04 #31/50 w/ Dimarzios
Dean ML Knight w/ EMG's
Dean Avalanche w/ EMG's
Jackson DXMGT w/ EMG's
Ibanez RG350M w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez V Blade w/ Dimarzios
Amps:
Marshall 8100 w/ Marshall Cab
Might I ask why you want to get a valvestate?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i'd go with the 8100 unless you plan on using a lot of chorus
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i have 8100

its epic.

and its not solid state, its hybrid.

the boost channel is ECC83-driven.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Might I ask why you want to get a valvestate?

I was told by a friend that they're very good for the money I'd find them at, and I'd like to save money for a real head later on. Rather than buying a combo and having my cab laying around taking up space.

I'd be playing Post-Rock and SOME modern metal. Mainly I would be playing Post-Rock though.

And seriously. $100 seems tough to pass up.
valvestates are very unique amps at a great price. the thing they are known for the most is their extremely fast attack time, or in other words tight low end. for 100, go for it. what cabinet do you plan to use?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Either a B-52 4x12 Slant Cab with Celestion G12s or a MG412.

Not sure which will be available yet.
hmm, out of those two, i'd say the B-52. do you have a budget for the cabinet?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I'd like to keep it under $200 used.

I don't plan on buying anything new, just not worth it.
Quote by Crydius
I'd like to keep it under $200 used.

I don't plan on buying anything new, just not worth it.

i feel yah (no homo)

in that budget i'd look more at 2x12 cabs, you'll get more bang for your buck since there arent many good 4x12's under 200
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by al112987
the mg412 is horrible

Have you ever played an 8100 through an MG412? Do that first. HAMMETTOWNS plays through the same cabs I do.

Anyways...

An 8100 for $100? Do it, man. Like someone else said, if you can get both, that would amazing.
I found a Marshall 1960a that I may jump at.

Pretty beat up on the tultex, but for $160?
Worth it?

There's big rips, but I figured I could reupholster it if needed.
^for 160? are you sure it has the speakers installed?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by Silver-spear94
i have 8100

its epic.

and its not solid state, its hybrid.

the boost channel is ECC83-driven.

....which means nothing.

Please don't get these amps. They are not very good and you can get better for the money.

Budget?
What do you play?
etc.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I sold my VS8080 for $75. All the pots were going on it. I took out the head and cleaned them with contact cleaner but could never get it perfect so they needed replacing. I really didn't think it was worth messing with. Seems like the pots were pretty cheap to all be going out. Something to think about.

I thought it was a decent sounding amp, but for over $200 I'd watch CL for an all tube. Heck I bought the MF Friday deal XD Super Champ for $200. Much better amp IMO. Don't need the wattage anyway.
Quote by JagStang5246
Have you ever played an 8100 through an MG412? Do that first. HAMMETTOWNS plays through the same cabs I do.

Anyways...

An 8100 for $100? Do it, man. Like someone else said, if you can get both, that would amazing.
I have played an MG412 cab with a Marshall JTM45, it sounded horrible. I have played an MG412 with an AVT50, it sounded horrible.

And fwiw, this was a friend of mine's cab, which he was using with a 6505 while he was looking for another cab, and needless to say, it sounded horrible with that too.

Best conclusion I could come up with is that the MG412 is not a very good cab. It's cheaply made, undersized and uses horrible speakers. Not usually a recipe for good tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
....which means nothing.

Please don't get these amps. They are not very good and you can get better for the money.

Budget?
What do you play?
etc.

they were used by a good amount of metal bands, and can be found for 100 dollars. how can you get THAT much better for the money?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
It has the speakers it came with. It's just really ripped to hell.

3/4 of the back is uncovered, and it looks like it's been through hell.

But he insists it sounds flawless and it's just wear and tear.

The head's vent was replaced by a piece of red vinyl and there is no logo. Still worth it?
The thing about waiting for an all tube, is that the closest thing I saw around here was a Blue Voodoo for $450.

The tone isn't what I am going for anymore, as I want something that cleans up very nicely.

I do need something that gets loud, as I need to play over a drummer. On my friend Frontman 212R [horrible] we still need to turn it up about 2/3 of the way to equal the volume.

the 35 watt Hybrid I'm using right now does not cut it in a drumming situation, and a 15 watt tube [Vox AC15] does not come close, even though the tone is incredible. It belonged to our school, not me.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

No offense, but this is friggin' dumb to say.

It's $100, it's the price of a distortion pedal, he won't find anything but a practice amp for that range.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
they were used by a good amount of metal bands, and can be found for 100 dollars. how can you get THAT much better for the money?

I'm thinking he got it mixed up with the AVT's.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I'm thinking he got it mixed up with the AVT's.

AVTs are tight as hell when you replace the speaker. AVT stock speakers are horrible things. AVTs sound pretty close to older VSes, if you run them through the same cabs. An AVT for $100 would be worth grabbing too, even if it's just for a back-up or whatever.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I agree AVTs don't sound that bad. I used an AVT50 for close to 7 years and have had no problems with it and I still use it to record most of what I play. Though kudos to anyone who could pick out which clips in my profile are recorded with it (I mean, if it really sounds THAT bad)
I now have an option to go for a Vox AC100CPH for $250...

This is getting so difficult to choose!

Does the AC100CPH sound as amazing as the AC15 and AC30's do?
i have the valvestate bi chorus head, attached to a behringer cab. i got the head for 200 bucks off of craigslist. that thing is brutal. i have to say it blows the avt series out of the water. not to mention its freakin loud. ive played the mg series marshalls, which suck, and ive played the valvestate combos as well. and theyre very good for the price in my opinion
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Ive had a valvestate amp since it came out very good for the cash. It gets me a very good and justice for all tone somehow (even tho they were probably on Mesas then). I dont know why but the speakers are amazing on them as well.

Having said that it is fizzy wooly and saturated like most marshalls now compared to rivals, and if i were starting out nowadays i would get the blackstar ht5 or even the crate v series. I think a lot of people go on about valvestates because Chuck from Death used them.
Last edited by Orangatango at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Orangatango
Ive had a valvestate amp since it came out very good for the cash. It gets me a very good and justice for all tone somehow (even tho they were probably on Mesas then). I dont know why but the speakers are amazing on them as well.

Having said that it is fizzy wooly and saturated like most marshalls now compared to rivals, and if i were starting out nowadays i would get the blackstar ht5 or even the crate v series. I think a lot of people go on about valvestates because Chuck from Death used them.

it is a solid state amp, and it has a very tight tone, far from saturated. its great, not just because chuck used it. the tone i get out of mine is perfect for what i do with my band, tight chords that sound very clean and can occasionally shake the room with the help of the bass player.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand