Hi UG!

i know that most of the time pedals can not be used with modeling amps.

I played a Vox Valvetronix VT30 and a Peavy Vyper 30w and they both kicked ass.

does anyone have either of these amps and would they beable to tell me if pedals worked on either of them?

would some pedals work and others not?

thanks!

sorry if this question is newbish...
Quote by Strings?!

I quote myself.
They do work on any amp but using a modelling Pedal with a modelling amp will sound like **** (speaking from experience and a lesson learned)... However, if your amp has an Effect Loop Plug, it will bypass the amp and just use the Speaker.
Quote by Darkshade666
They do work on any amp but using a modelling Pedal with a modelling amp will sound like **** (speaking from experience and a lesson learned)... However, if your amp has an Effect Loop Plug, it will bypass the amp and just use the Speaker.

Dude do you know if theres any kind of pedal that can act as an FX loop for an amp that doesnt have one? i've been lookin around and havent found anything about it so far.
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
An FX loop does not bypass the amp and go to the speaker, it places the pedal/rack effect after the preamp, but before the power amp.

Most modeling amps don't have effects loops because they already have effects built in.

If you're really wanting something to use pedals with, look around for a used Crate V18 or V16 Palomino, maybe a V33... or find a used Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Buy a better amp, then get your pedals. Pedals don't get all of your tone, only the amp can do that. I'd say that the amp makes about 60% of your sound, your cab/speakers maybe about 10%, guitar about 10%, tubes about 10%, and the other 10% is dependent on the location and how the sound reacts to it. The pedals only boost, they don't really change your over all tone. You're still playing on a Valvetronix with a Metal Muff, see what I mean?

I would recommend you find an amp that you really like. If it means you don't get pedals right away, then that's alright, you'll get them later. But, essential pedals are:

A Wah (it adds a level of quality and control that's not seen by any other pedals)
An OD (it adds boost and volume to your tone to give it a fuller sound)
A flanger/chorus/or phaser (people say you need all three, but just get something to make your tone stand out. I would get a chorus to add more depth to my solos and lead work)
An echo/delay (they can give you really cool intros and whatnot)
An EQ pedal (to boost your tone so you can cut through for solo's and what not or just to add more volume if you need it)

Optional:
Distortion pedal (like a Metal Muff)(I use this because my Marshall's gain sometimes doesn't cut it all the time for heavy chunkage riffs when I occasionally play them. It also adds a thicker tone to my solo's if I choose)
Fuzz (if you're playing 60/70s stuff, it is pretty much a given)
Noise Suppressor (if you're amp has a lot of buzz/ambient noise)
Plug-in Tuner

How would you run these pedals?

Guitar>Tuner>Fuzz>OD>Distortion>Amp>(Effects Loop Send)Delay>Chorus/etc.>EQ>Noise Suppressor)>(Effects Loop Return)>Cab
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society