Well, this past weekend I had to make an emergency run to a new GC (not my usual one which rocks my socks off) and buy some strings. Ticked me off because they had none of my preferred strings, no .10-.52 or .12 Dean Markleys or any flatwounds. I ended up buying a new set to me, Blue Steel .11s. This is kind of beside the point but it may be something.

I string it up, decide to use the unwound G string, and the drummer I'm with trying to help goofs off and starts messing with my humbuckers on my LP. Just pushing them in and out back and forth pretty fast.

I plug in and my EQ seems a bit off as I switch pickups. I drew it up to the strings.

Now the past few days my humbuckers seem extremely...well...unbalanced. Switching to my neck pickup gives me a pretty big volume boost compared to my neck/using both and using both pickups sounds okay, but not full, and my bridge pickup seems pretty damned weak and thin, worse than a single coil. (Nothing against single coils but they are weaker than humbuckers soundwise and this is worrying me)

So what is causing this weird and rather irritating pickup stuff? I'm worried cause at first I thought it was my strings but I keep hearing it get weaker and weaker.
Why in the hell would pushing the humbuckers down sound like a good idea to him? They're not buttons for Christ's sake...

They were messed up in the process, plain and simple. Tinkering with them or taking them to GC if you don't want to be bothered is possible, but Alnico Classic's (I believe those are the ones you are referring to) never appealed to me so if I were in your position I'd take them out and put some nice SD's in there.

BTW, smack your drummer.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
I have BurstBucker Pros on my LP (standard pickup, would have probably went elsewhere for price new but great stock pickups)

He just was doing it while I was wiping down my fretboard from any of the minor rust that came off my strings. /smack in advance.

it seemed like a minor thing at the time because my pickups weren't going off balance at the time. Would it be hard or expensive to take it somewhere to fix?
Shouldn't be that expensive or hard to fix, I think that the worst case scenario would be that you have to buy a new pickup.
Quote by manhangi
I have BurstBucker Pros on my LP (standard pickup, would have probably went elsewhere for price new but great stock pickups)

He just was doing it while I was wiping down my fretboard from any of the minor rust that came off my strings. /smack in advance.

it seemed like a minor thing at the time because my pickups weren't going off balance at the time. Would it be hard or expensive to take it somewhere to fix?

Ah, I assumed it was the Alnico's...regardless it's obvious they were messed up, and considering they're stocks I'd still replace them, but if you want them fixed, do it man.

If you know a person with experience in repairing guitars that would be great but if you take it to GC for a set up they'll overcharge you, at least they did me when my input jack was messed up, and the thing was still friggin' loose...look around your area is all I can say.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
I'll take it to my lessons teacher, guy is a pro guitarist. Hell he made a Squier strat play and sound better than a MIA Deluxe Strat.

Stock or not, Burstbuckers are nice.

So is the bucker messed up itself or is it the wiring for it?
It's impossible for us to tell. But it sounds like the wiring. Pickups aren't the most delicate things in the world. How hard was he pushing them?
he was like using both hands and pushing them pretty frantically with his index fingers. Like if you were to rapidly tap two buttons for some reason ina video game.
Is the pickup lower than before he messed with it?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
No, I checked that out. The only way to lower/raise the pickups on my LP anyway is to adjust the four screws around the pickup or he would have just broken the holders for the pickup.