I was going to post this in the pit but since we don't have a forum for other music related gear but I figure every guitar player who gigs will come into a PA at some point and they are important to all of us. So what are all your bands using? I just started building a PA for my band and we have so far a pair of yamaha S115V speakers and a QSC GX5 (500watts per channel) power amp. Currently using a crappy old mixer that needs to be replaced. So now we need a rack to put all this in. Any good suggestions? I plan to grab a pair of power conditioners to throw in the rack. One to handle the PA system which will eventually have a second power amp in it for monitors and another to power up the two guitar amps and bass amp and pedal power supplies. As far as a mixer I'm not sure what to get. I want something solid with 12+ channels. I am open to running a rack effects units for reverb and getting a mixer with no effects. So what setups are all you guys running for your bands?
Yoda...please tell him why no one replied to this thread and he had to bump it....

Quote by M Power
Yea...I bet you have a lot of friends.

Alright, im sory. I wasnt actually trying to be jerk, the picture just made me laugh. Im sure there just arent a lot of people on here who have a lot to share about their PA systems. Im willing to bet that least 50% of UG's members arent currently gigging musicians with loud band practices and therefore dont have a need for PA's.

I can share a bit about ours, though. We do a lot of acoustic stuff in our style and lately I've been using a Taylor T5 split between our PA system (or whichever one is available at gigs) and an amp. I couldnt tell ya the exact model mixer we have, but I know its a Peavey and looks like its straight out of the 80s. It has wooden side panels and basically looks like an oversized Atari, but hey we bought it used for $75!
We use a set of 15" Fender speakers and im also not sure what model those are.

I do have one question. What exactly is a power conditioner and what does it do?
Quote by Bright Light
Alright, im sory. I wasnt actually trying to be jerk, the picture just made me laugh. Im sure there just arent a lot of people on here who have a lot to share about their PA systems. Im willing to bet that least 50% of UG's members arent currently gigging musicians with loud band practices and therefore dont have a need for PA's.

I can share a bit about ours, though. We do a lot of acoustic stuff in our style and lately I've been using a Taylor T5 split between our PA system (or whichever one is available at gigs) and an amp. I couldnt tell ya the exact model mixer we have, but I know its a Peavey and looks like its straight out of the 80s. It has wooden side panels and basically looks like an oversized Atari, but hey we bought it used for $75!
We use a set of 15" Fender speakers and im also not sure what model those are.

I do have one question. What exactly is a power conditioner and what does it do?

It is like a surge protector, and some have surge protectors. The most common Pro manufactures are from Furman. They eliminate line noise, and minor surges, among other things.

Personally I play solo mostly, but when I do a gig..its usually like this

PRS Custom 24 --> Shure Wireless --> Pod XT Pro < Effects Loop - dbx Equalizer
< Output (Line) - Behringer compressor ---> Mackie 802

or

PRS Custom 24 --> Shure Wireless --> Axe - FX < Effects Loop - dbx Equalizer
< Output (Line) - Behringer compressor --->Mackie 802

Mackie 802 ---> QSC Power amp ---> speakers
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Behringer Compressor
Extra:
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Mackie 802
Yamaha HS50M
Last edited by sk1939 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Bright Light

Mainly they will stabilize the voltage and eliminate dirty power that can cause hum in a lot of amps. They also offer surge protection. Very good investment when you start getting some good gear. Not just for PAs but guitar amps also. Can eliminate some hum and prevent a nasty power spike from frying your $1k+ investment.