Page 1 of 3
I took a plane today from Nashville, TN to Denver, CO. I fell asleep on the plane, no big deal, but about halfway through, I experienced sleep paralysis. No big deal for me, it's happened before, but it got freaky when I fell back asleep, and some time later, I had it again. This sort of creeped me out, because I have never had it happen twice before. My memory is foggy, but I believe it happened one more time before I finally woke up fully as we started to land.

Anyone have a similar story?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
No, I fully woke up as the plane was landing. Gawd that would have been bad if I had it when people were leaving the plane >.<

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
^No, you aren't permanently paralyzed. You are just temporarily under the psychological belief that you are... Your body is really just asleep, while your mind isn't. It goes away when you wake up.

Dude, that seriously scares the **** out of me... One of my biggest phobias is sleep paralysis, and I've never experienced.

I really hope I never do.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
your body actually paralyzes itself when you enter REM sleep, thats what keeps you from acting out your dreams
oh ok, I just thought that when you had sleep paralysis, you wake up and can't move, then after a few minutes you can move. I've never had sleep paralysis
I used to wake frequently during SP, now I try to induce it upon myself to have a lucid dream.
Quote by BreakingBnj
^No, you aren't permanently paralyzed. You are just temporarily under the psychological belief that you are... Your body is really just asleep, while your mind isn't. It goes away when you wake up.

Dude, that seriously scares the **** out of me... One of my biggest phobias is sleep paralysis, and I've never experienced.

I really hope I never do.

Don't worry about it man. I've had it lots of times. When you are aware of what is happening and are calm, it can even be kind of fun.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Manimosity
I used to wake frequently during SP, now I try to induce it upon myself to have a lucid dream.

Oh god I love lucid dreams. I can almost do them on cue now.

Quote by John Frusciante
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Jun 26, 2009,

I hope it never happens to me.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
okay, here's what I dreamt a couple of nights ago

I wake up one day, and think "whoa what a weird dream" (meaning i woke up in my dream thinking the rest of my life was a dream) and go about my normal business, but for some reason everything is different, but only slightly. I for some reason live with my ex girlfriend who has a new bboyfriend, even though I'm certain she'd never seen him before. Everything, even my job are just in tiny details different than normally. I go home one day and find a new video game I have never seen before. I start playing it and it asks me to focus on an imiage of an eye and rotate my eyes around it super fast for several seconds. it then asks me to pick a number between 1 and 50, and depending on what number i pick a differnt game comes on, where i either swing my arms to shoot millions of enemy space ships or whatever. during the loading sessions I have weird hallucinations/apparations in my living room, like a little baby without eyes who asks me to kick him, or a chijuajua that wants me to swing him around.
My roommate then comes home and I quickly shut off the game. This si the first time I get really worried, as she for some reason thinks I'm a total dork and obviously regrets having moved together with me. she acts like I keep on trying to get her back eveen though thats not true.

and then I woke up, thought "whoa, what a weird dream", then fell asleep and IN MY DREAM again woke up and thought "...alright so am I awake or asleep now?"
*tries to fire energy beams from hands, succeeds*
"phew, I'm finally awake".

needless to say I was very disappointed when I woke up for reals
I wish I could lucid dream well, whenever I have them I always make the scariest shjt happen and i end up making a nightmare for myself.
Quote by BreakingBnj

No you're thinking of lucid dreaming. In sleep paralysis, you are still paralyzed as if you're still in the state of REM sleep, but in fact your eyes are wide open and you feel awake

It's not very fun, especially if you're mildly claustrophobic like I am. I've had only two cases of it, both when I was about thirteen, and in both cases, I woke up hearing this loud buzzing and I couldn't move. I remember not being able to speak either, even though I was crying for help in my mind. Trust me, you do not want to experience it.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I took a plane today from Nashville, TN to Denver, CO. I fell asleep on the plane, no big deal, but about halfway through, I experienced sleep paralysis. No big deal for me, it's happened before, but it got freaky when I fell back asleep, and some time later, I had it again. This sort of creeped me out, because I have never had it happen twice before. My memory is foggy, but I believe it happened one more time before I finally woke up fully as we started to land.

Anyone have a similar story?

YES! i had it on a taxi ride on time that was 4 hours long. I was in a really awkward position and i started to panic and thought i couldn't breathe. It was horrible because my mum was in the front seat and i was stuck there in an awkward position wanting to shout 'HELP!' it was really upsetting, this happened twice.
Quote by FFTLxx

I hope it never happens to me.

Way to Wikipedia. Anyways, that's an old artist's depiction of what he thought happened during sleep paralysis. Before the scientific explanation, people thought it was a demonic experience.

Quote by John Frusciante
The only thing I could think when I opened this was "Get this MUTHAFUCKIN' SLEEP PARALYSIS OFF THIS MUTHAFUCKIN' PLANE!"

Thread defies expections.
The only thing I could think when I opened this was "Get this MUTHAFUCKIN' SLEEP PARALYSIS OFF THIS MUTHAFUCKIN' PLANE!"

Thread defies expections.

Genius!!
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Way to Wikipedia. Anyways, that's an old artist's depiction of what he thought happened during sleep paralysis. Before the scientific explanation, people thought it was a demonic experience.

I can understand why, people can hallucenate and often see a figure of an old woman who's really tall standing at their bedside looking at them too... i've never had that though luckily.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Others think it's a paranormal experience today. Some people have claimed that waking during sleep paralysis is the aftermath of an alien abduction

Of course, I find the true scientific explanation a lot more valid
Yea, the very first time I had it I was scared $hitless, but the next morning I asked my father, a psychologist who knows a thing or two about sleep, and he explained it. I looked up more info about it, and learned about lucid dreams. Now, I experience sleep paralysis once every couple months or so and I make a lucid dream out of it every time I do (bar this plane experience).

The plane experience was scary, not because of the paralysis, but because we were circling the airport because we couldn't land due to an electrical storm.

Being in an airplane+electrical storm is scary enough, throw in not being able to move or speak and that makes for an OMG moment.

Quote by John Frusciante
Sleep paralysis is awesome!
I've had it happen a couple times, but I remember one time were my friend had walked into room. I was out of it, and he keep on talking about god knows what. He was way too distant for me to here, but I realized he was only a couple feet away.
It was like getting a heavy dose of hash and morphine straight to the brain. A good bit foggy, and oddly relaxing.

Another time wasn't sleep paralysis per sa, more like head trauma rem. I fainted and hit my head on the wall, while I was dreaming that everything was going in reverse chronological order. Even with everything falling by backwards, it felt, right.
One of my friends said I yelled out,"Dude, I'm drunk".
Musta been the endorphines. It was very pleasing, to say the least. A wet dream that wasn't sexual.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I can understand why, people can hallucenate and often see a figure of an old woman who's really tall standing at their bedside looking at them too... i've never had that though luckily.

The first time I experienced SP I hallucinated an old hag at the foot of my bed. I think it's strange that it's a common occurrence.
I don't really find lucid dreams to be all that enjoyable to be honest. Probably because of the claustrophobia. I just hate not being able to wake up when I've had enough.

Edit: I too had the old hag experience the second time around. I freaked out tremendously, but I read up on it and now I'm relieved.
Last edited by Progbass92 at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Manimosity
The first time I experienced SP I hallucinated an old hag at the foot of my bed. I think it's strange that it's a common occurrence.

I wanna know why it is so common. I can understand people having suspicions about it being supernatural with weird stuff like that. I dont think it is but i'd like to know what seeing an old hag is all about O_o
Quote by Zoot Allures
I wanna know why it is so common. I can understand people having suspicions about it being supernatural with weird stuff like that. I dont think it is but i'd like to know what seeing an old hag is all about O_o

Read up on Carl Jung's theories on archetypes. They're evolutionary recurring themes that are passed down through generations by way of what he calls the "collective unconscious". It's really interesting and makes a lot of sense in a way.
I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I might be narcoleptic. I mean, most people have SP like twice in a lifetime. I've had it SEVERAL times since my teenage years.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I might be narcoleptic. I mean, most people have SP like twice in a lifetime. I've had it SEVERAL times since my teenage years.

SP happens every time you sleep, you just happened to wake while it was happening.

Edit:From what I've come to understand anyway.
Last edited by Manimosity at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Progbass92

I've known I've had it for awhile. I mean, since about grade 6 I've had trouble falling asleep in class in the middle of the day. It's gotten me in trouble before.

Quote by John Frusciante
Whenever I experience SP, I get a very strong tightening in my back. Some sort of muscle or idk it just cramps up and tightens. I've also experienced SP many times in the past year or so. Multiples time in one night/early morning.
Quote by Progbass92
That's gotta be the worst feeling ever. Does it still hurt afterwards when you wake up?

No, it feels somewhat good after it goes away. I can kinda control it also, whenever I think of something that turns me on, the tightening gets stronger.
Quote by Stoney93
oh ok, I just thought that when you had sleep paralysis, you wake up and can't move, then after a few minutes you can move. I've never had sleep paralysis

It's not like that
it's weird though i can't explain it
it is kind of scary sometimes
Yeah i get sleep paralysis sometimes too. It's awful, i get so freaked out, i try to shout help, but the words won't come out properly.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Hate it when on a plane and you are so tired, you keep jerking into sleep.

No pun intended. No seriously, I hate that - it's like you keep nodding off for a few seconds then getting jump-started back into awakeness.
It's not too bad. It's something you should experience at least once, just to know what it's like. It's a unique feeling.

That being said, I could go without it.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Zoot Allures

I've had the same experience except with Chucky the doll. Serious. And I don't know why it's so common either. Glad it is though, I guess. The claustrophobia was too intense for me to get into or enjoy. I mean, you want to scream, or say something, but it's just like you're awake but in a dream. Doesn't really make sense. You can't move, but you're awake and dreaming about the scene. It is interesting.
Last edited by ieatu at Jun 26, 2009,
Wow, people have seriously seen things when under SP here? Are they really clear images/moving or hazy/obviously imaginative?

I think I've seen thing moving in my room when under it, like things gesturing at me - that's it.
Page 1 of 3