Ok I watched this posture video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg&feature=PlayList&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=1

but I just can't cross my left leg like that. I mean I can do it, but my left leg gets tired in like 50 seconds (can start to feel the burn in the left side muscle on my left leg where it touches my right leg). Also even if I do maintain it like that, I can't get the neck of the guitar to point upwards like in video, guitar wants to slide down and plant itself across my crotch.

it could be my guitar not sure:

http://www.likecool.com/Gear/MusicKit/Jimi%20Nightmare%20Distorted%20Electric%20Guitar/Jimi-Nightmare-Distorted-Electric-Guitar.jpg

Just kidding, that's not my guitar.

I think it has something to do with how I'm crossing my left leg. If I cross it to where it's slightly comfortable, then it's not really at an angle enough so when I rest the guitar on it the guitar neck isn't pointing upwards (this is the above instance where I can feel the muscles burning in my lower left leg). However, if I kind of push more towards a girly leg crossing I can get the neck to face upwards, but it requires I lean forward (i can start to feel the muscles in my lower back burning) to keep guitar from sliding down my left leg, and I can also feel the burning in my left thigh now and it just feels like an awkward position.

I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? It might be that I'm short, don't know (5'2") just trying to provide infomation so someone might be able to figure out what's wrong with my posture. Tomorrow I'll try video taping my posture and uploading it to youtube so I can show you guys more what I'm talking about.
His posture is pretty inconvenient...
Sit straight and have it close to you, on your left leg.
If you use your left, you won't have trouble adjusting whenever you play standing up or live.
Quote by MannyC2107
His posture is pretty inconvenient...
Sit straight and have it close to you, on your left leg.
If you use your left, you won't have trouble adjusting whenever you play standing up or live.

So with the way I normally play, how exactly can I tell if I'm bending my wrist too much? Right now I'm doing the justin lessons in the beginner sticky and working on improving my chord change speed and when going from D to E to D over and over I was starting to feel some of the muscles on the top of my arm starting to "burn" so to speak. Not sure if this was because I'm bending my wrist too much, or just because I'm starting to work out the muscles so I can play faster.

I don't normally cross my legs when I practice, I just lay the guitar flat across my legs and kinda point the neck away from me a bit to give my left arm more room.

I can play the chords without really bending my wrist at all if I lay my thumb over the neck, but justin from the videos I'm watching says to leave my thumb on the back of the neck so it will strengthen the muscles around my thumb as a beginner, but this requires I bend my wrist a bit more to get a D chord.
Just rest your left leg on something that's higher up than your right. He didn't say that you have to play like that, just so that it's comfortable. Comfort is the key here.

EDIT:
@ How do I know if I'm bending my wrist too much?
If it's uncomfortable, obviously you're bending it too much. Freepower says that you need to have your wrist as straight as possible, as much as possible. Bending it to reach the lower strings or to make a big stretch is okay, you just have to make sure you stop bending your wrist like that when you quit doing a big stretch like that.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 26, 2009,
It's not about crossing the leg at all. How could you watch that video and get the idea that that's an issue?

Left wrist should be fairly straight as much as possible. Easiest way to raise your guitar neck is put your left foot on a small practice amp or footstool and then put your guitar on your left leg. That any help?
Quick ? When i make bar chords i jam on the back of the neck with my thumb and my wrist cramps after a few minutes (i have to do this or my index dont get all the notes pressed down)... whats wrong and how to improve
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by Freepower
It's not about crossing the leg at all. How could you watch that video and get the idea that that's an issue?

Left wrist should be fairly straight as much as possible. Easiest way to raise your guitar neck is put your left foot on a small practice amp or footstool and then put your guitar on your left leg. That any help?

No no the problem was the guitar sliding down off my left leg no matter how I raise it. I fixed that problem today by getting a better chair, the chair I was using was a soft bottom chair so the butt part sunk in a little bit which made the guitar slide down into my waist. Even with the neck raised though, my wrist still bends when fingering chords, if I try to finger them without bending my wrist then I have to stick my thumb over the neck a bit, but then a can't curl my fingers enough to keep the bottom of my hand from touching the 1st string. Anything I try just seems to be uncomfortable on my wrist, which I'm not sure is because I'm bending my wrist too much, or just because I've not used the muscles in my wrist all that much.

I doubt you'll be able to see what I'm talking about just by my description so I'll have to video my left hand trying to finger some chords some time soon so you can see what I'm trying to say.