so ive been planning on going to MI for guitar craft for a while now, but since i live in PA and don't know anyone out there it would be VERY expensive. i would like to find a school in new york city, because a lot of my family lives there, i could still visit home regularly, and i LOVE the city. can anyone recommend me a school in NYC?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
yes i have, but i didn't find anything useful.
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
yes i have, but i didn't find anything useful.

Not a school, however, some luthiers do take interns.

http://www.rabutviolins.com/connection.htm

This guy actually makes Violins etc (miles harder than a guitar but similar principles AND, wider prospects) but he is in New York and MAY, be able to recommend somewhere that will suit you, if he doesn't need anyone.

May I recommend, that rather than email the guy...phone him. Introduce yourself (just that) then ask him if he has 5 minutes for a chat.

Then tell him what you were thinking. Don't say you aren't interested in Vioins, Cello's etc. Instead tell him where your interests lay, but expand them to include what he does.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Luthier schools don't teach you how to build guitars. They teach you how to use big expensive tools that you will probably never be able to afford as a luthier and if you ever can the technology will have changed anyway making your experience at school pointless. If you want to learn to build guitars read up at the mimf forum, get some good how to book and start building.
Not taking any online orders.
well after ALOT of looking last night, i found 2 workshops near me that im gonna go to. one is with martin guitar and another is with a former employee of martin. so hopefully i can get a job at martin when im done (i dont live very far away)
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
well after ALOT of looking last night, i found 2 workshops near me that im gonna go to. one is with martin guitar and another is with a former employee of martin. so hopefully i can get a job at martin when im done (i dont live very far away)

Again, rather than just turn up and effectively say "Gis a job", PHONE them first and explain, ask if they can spare you some time, when it is convenient to them. Make an appointment, where you can meet the right guy.
Introduce yourself properly, also, call them by their name if they give it. eg.

"Hello, Martin Guitars, David speaking?"
You: "Good morning David. How are you doing? (wait for response) My name is Ghost_bass..."

Get my drift? I really cannot stress how far this approach can get you...seriously.

Don't put people on the spot, by walking into their workshop and asking for their time (not usually anyway).
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 26, 2009,
i get what your saying. thanks for the advice
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp: