I won some money and intend to spend it all on a new PRS guitar. No rational reason for selecting PRS except I like how they look and never thought I could afford one, but now I can.

I already have a Fender Strat and mainly play classic rock, blues and some country.

What I am looking for is a guitar that is versatile and compliments the Strat. I was thinking of either a 513 or a Hollowbody.

Does anyone have any view on these guitars (or any other PRS model) and is there anything I should particularly look for (e.g. PRS offer 3 different bridges and the hollowbodies can have a piezo pickup). Which would best complement the Strat? Is there anyother PRS model that would be better?

Appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks
well. i dont know anything about PRS guitars. but ill ask a question to help the people who do know about them.

what is your budget if you have one?
I have a Custom 24, And I've played on a few others here and there, It really depends how much you're happy to spend to which one you get.
133 18 9463 8395 24 22 8358 4939
I couldn't afford a signed PRS (lol) but I went to Guitar Center (n Memphis) found a SingleCut, that looks awesome, tried it, loved it, bought it with tax money, 600 or so dollars, made in Korea, but the quality is just awesome, sounds good (in drop B for chevelle)
if you're willing to part with that amount of cash, the 513 is probably one of the most versatile electrics on the market at the moment. it does pretty much anything - find one and try it out. also bear in mind that there are two neck types available on prs guitars (they somewhat resemble gibson 50s (fat) and 60s (thin) necks).
definitely go and try out some PRS guitars and don't be surprised if you want to sell your strat just to have more money for PRS! but maybe the CU22/24 with tremolo
+1 for the Custom 22/24. IMO it's versatile enough, you don't really need to spend all that extra money on a 513.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Check out 513. I just sold my Cu24 and now going to pick up one of these. Some feel the 513 proprietary pickups are not that good, others think they are great. Go play and decide for yourself.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
i dont think theres a wrong choice with prs. the only guitar i might stay away from is the mccarty II because the active pickup system seems to be quite an oxymoron. (never played it but i read a review in a guitar mag)

the mira is simple and has great tone as well as great playability. every bit as good as the more standard prs'.

i would also reccomend the custom 22 (its what i have). I personally think it is more versitile than the 24 simply because the pickups haven nicer cleans/light crunch. however, it doesnt really suffer in the high gain department at all. You just need to put more gain on the amp. it sounds smoother and fatter (if thats what you are into). The coil split gives really nice, unique sounds. It sounds clear but also full at the same time. Perfect if you think a strat is too biting but a les paul is to muddy.

i have never played the 513 but i hear it sounds amazing.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jun 26, 2009,
take a look at the johnny highlander prs. Quite possibly the most versatile prs
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
if you can, go for a mccarty. one of the most versatile guitars out there, very comfortable, easy to play and has some of the best sounding pickups out there.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
prs sunburst 22

it's got the new PRS 57/08 pickups, dunno how they sound though

either that or a custom 22/24
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
If you can, try before you buy. Personally I find any PRS model really nice to play. I agree with the McCarty, some people think theyre muddy but I just dont get that at all.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
i'd say the 513. come on, it's got 5 individual pickups (yes, they're all single coils) thats awesome, and insanely diverse!
Thanks guys, greatly appreciate the comments.
Over the weekend went to the shop and played played a few PRS guitars. Still struggling between a (semi) hollow and a 513. Both sound and feel great and seem versatile. The semi hollow with piezo sounds the most different to my Strat so I am leaning that way. Plus in blue it looks great. Has anyone played one?

Once again, thanks for your comments
I have not played the semi hollow, but I've played the 513. gaw, it was amazing!
you're stuck between probably my two favorite PRS guitars but i'd vote 513 just because the style of music i play leans that way. the semi-hollow might not be great for high gain, but the 513 would be all over it. having said that, i'm not sure what type of music you'd be playing with it, so it definitely depends on what you need it to do
Quote by Pac_man0123
Dunno how the guitars feel or sound but a piezo system always gives me a stiffy

I have the Hollowbody II with Piezo setup. Freaking awesome!!!
Personally, I think this is absolutely amazing!!

I would clean the hardware after every practice sesh if I owned that..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Hmm....take a look at the Custom 22/24, the Tremonti, or the Santana...all of which are quite good ( the Custom 24 even comes with a coil split ). The PRS hollowbody is interesting...but for hollowbodies, I think that Grestch is better, try a Grestch White Falcon and see how you like it
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro