Hey guys. I posted in another thread recently that I pulled the trigger and bought an Orange Crush 35B. Well it has arrived and I'm not too pleased. The amplifier has a 'slow attack' kind of, it doesn't track notes very well when playing the E and A strings and especially when playing slap & pop. The headphone input doesn't work either. The poor note tracking improves in the high input, but it's still there. As for the sound of it, I don't mean to make this sound like a totally negative thread (because some people love these amplifiers) but it doesn't sound very different to my previously owned Rumble 15 amplifier. I've contacted the store and they have a 7 day exchange policy. I think I'm going to return this and get an SWR LA10 or maybe significantly decrease the price and just settle with a Kustom KBA10 instead. I'm not too sure. Thanks.
tbh it sounds like you have all faulty amp, exchange it for something else. If possible play another 35b to be certain, while not on par with their incedible tube amps, orange crush's are still one of the best practise amps out there. ive havent played that swr but im leaning towards getting the swr working pro head, and if there anything to go by then the swr will be a good choice
Quote by 4 strings
tbh it sounds like you have all faulty amp, exchange it for something else. If possible play another 35b to be certain, while not on par with their incedible tube amps, orange crush's are still one of the best practise amps out there. ive havent played that swr but im leaning towards getting the swr working pro head, and if there anything to go by then the swr will be a good choice

Yeah it does sound like I have a faulty amplifier. This would have to be my first 'dud' or 'lemon' experience as a musician. It's not a good feeling to say the least. I will try to play another Orange Crush 35B but from the way this one sounded I may just settle for the SWR LA10 or less like a Kustom KBA10 like I mentioned earlier. Instead of making some 'tone heaven' practice rig I'll just settle for the cheapest, most solid practice combo amplifier out there if they are all going to sound similar anyway. It really is just about practicing and becoming a better player. It's great to see that you believe that they are some of the best practice amplifiers out there, but maybe the sound isn't for me? It's a very confusing dilemma. This SWR LA series sounds like quite a new range of budget amplifiers with some SWR vibe, hopefully it is what I'm looking for. Thanks for your input, 4 strings.
That really sounds like a dud Crush.

Now if you settle on the KBA10, let me tell you that while the tone is not perfect, its loud. Punchy loud. It is the loudest 10 w amp I have ever heard.
i get a bit of that on mine now you mention it
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by bass-boy-garith
well done mr. kiss my bass, well done
Quote by anarkee

Now if you settle on the KBA10, let me tell you that while the tone is not perfect, its loud. Punchy loud. It is the loudest 10 w amp I have ever heard.

I have one and hate it with a passion. The only way i use it now is as a preamp into headphone out into computer speakers with a sub woofer
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by anarkee

Yeah it really does. It isn't a great first experience using the internet to buy music-related items. I won't expect the Kustom KBA10 to sound amazing, neither did the Orange Crush 35B so I'm really alright with it. I guess it's good to know it can go loud; when you say 'punchy loud' do you mean it has a punchy tone? Also, is it very light? It looks like quite a small amplifier so I'd assume it's quite light-weight, but only someone who owns one would know.

Quote by kiss my bass
i get a bit of that on mine now you mention it

That's quite strange, maybe a bad factory run of them? Faulty electronics? I'm surprised they even let them leave the factory in that condition.

Quote by Double Basser
I have one and hate it with a passion. The only way i use it now is as a preamp into headphone out into computer speakers with a sub woofer

Why is that? Do you not like the tone it produces? It's quite small so it's not going to sound amazing. But it comes with a Celestion speaker, they're pretty reputable for good speakers right?
Practise amps are never going to be good when pushed fact.

Keep em quiet for bedroom use ya know.
Celestion as far as i know are only just starting to publish the specs of their speakers, and havent got a great usage atall, very much more guitar speakers

I would send it back and get...
another one simply cause of the nice 12" speaker. Also you could always change it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Practise amps are never going to be good when pushed fact.

Keep em quiet for bedroom use ya know.
Celestion as far as i know are only just starting to publish the specs of their speakers, and havent got a great usage atall, very much more guitar speakers

I would send it back and get...
another one simply cause of the nice 12" speaker. Also you could always change it.

I see where you're coming from. I don't actually push the amplifier at all though. I've spoken to the people at the store. Very friendly, great service, they said I should bring it in and they'll test it in the store.
Cool beans on the store.

On the KBA10. Ok, its not a great tonal amp. But its rather loud. I donated it to the studio where I take lessons and its still being used by students. Its light portable and loud. It tends to extenuate the mids a bit. I was never thrilled about the tone, but for the money it does the job.
Quote by anarkee
Cool beans on the store.

On the KBA10. Ok, its not a great tonal amp. But its rather loud. I donated it to the studio where I take lessons and its still being used by students. Its light portable and loud. It tends to extenuate the mids a bit. I was never thrilled about the tone, but for the money it does the job.

Yeah it is good news. I don't mind about the tone of the amplifier really. I'm 15 years old and only play in my bedroom, I don't particularly need some awesome rig at the moment. That's really kind of you to donate yours, it may not be expensive but I still don't know of many people who give amplifiers away like that . I've checked Kustom's website and they say it weighs around 6.8 kilograms, which is great! I hate lugging around heavy amplifiers. I don't mind about it pronouncing the mids a little more, I quite like the sound of pronounced mids. Thanks for your input.

Regarding the situation at the moment; I took the Orange Crush 35B in yesterday and the first two employees there did notice the weird delay. One of the guys said "maybe it's the string vibrations on the E and A strings, they are quite thick" and I replied with "well my other amplifiers never did that" and he says "oh, well I don't know much at all about bass amplifiers" and gets the store owner, who apparently does. He said that it was the resonance of the cabinet and he said it also had an auto-compression unit, which I thought was a lie because it doesn't say anywhere it comes with compression and I seriously doubt that cabinets 'resonate' like that. I think he was just trying to convince me to keep a shoddy product. After he said all that I still asked for an exchange and he tried to sell me a Behringer amplifier, which I was not going to consider and then tried to sell me an Ibanez SWX amplifier, which was actually pretty nice, but I still wanted my money back. He gave me a store credit and even refunded the freight cost, which was really nice of him to do that. So I now have $340 store credit to spend and I'm going to give it some thought.