Okay so basically it's like this. My gf saw me playing guitar for the first time the other day, and she mentioned I should talk to her brother about joining his band. I did, and everything seemed cool until he mentioned a couple different things.

Sounding like other bands

First of all, when we were discussing what kind of band it is and all that, he said something I found somewhat disturbing. He said "I can't decide if I wanna sound like Atreyu or BMTH". Obviously, I don't need to say whats wrong with that, but I will anyway. The thing is, I write my music, I write my lyrics, I put the two together, I try them out a couple different ways/in different styles, and whatever fits it best, I stick with. Is it just me or does it seem there will be an issue if he is writing stuff trying to make it sound a certain, specific way, and I'm totally opposite of that, just allowing the music to flow until it finds its proper style and form?

Other Members

As much as I would like to join the band, even despite the last thing I mentioned, I don't know if I'd be able to. Corey [My GF's brother, the band leader] told me that the other guitarist in the band is taking care of/supplying all the gear and whatnot. I asked what size amp the other guitarist would be using, and he said he didn't know. Since I don't know the other guitarist, I can't ask him. My whole concern is, no matter how much I'd LIKE to have a 100W Mesa Boogie, I've still got my ****tly little 15 W piece of ****. And before when I was looking for a new amp, the Mesas seemed a lot cheaper than they are now. I can't, afford paying $1,200 right now and I wont be able to any time soon. =\ I need some kind of advice.

Thats that... But yeah. I'm just really confused. I don't wanna join and be unhappy, or find out that i literally COULDNT join because of my ghetto gear, but I dont wanna just pass it up and say "No thanks" and miss out totally, either... I really need advice... Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

have a jam with them and see how it goes...

it's pointless try to weigh up all the crappy little pros and cons, you'll no doubt gain valuable experience from 'doing'. if you enjoy it, fine - if you dont, man up and tell them its not for you.
You've really got nothing to lose, so you might as well have a go. Also, you dont have to go straight from 15 watt to 100w mesa, there are pretty good amps in between that price range you know.
Pretty much what they said....^^Also maybe try to get to know with members better and about the amp issue maybe ask the other guitarist if he has another amp you can use or find a used amp in ebay or another shop...
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Dude 15 watt isn't all bad, our guitarist played a 15 watt for a function hall size audience (200-250 people) and they were blown away, it was a ****ty little Peavey too. Anyway Id say have a jam with them and see how well you click, even if you don't you still tried.
Okay. And what amps do you suggest? Yes I know this really isnt the proper forum for that question but oh well. All I know is I'm sick and tired of solid state bull****. I need some kind of tube amp, and i guess, maybe, some sort of 50 W then, do u think? I dont really know. I guess I should wait and find out what size the other guitarist is using maybe? I'm going to be playing mostly leads, but some rythm as well [of course, this is still IF I join...] I know there is a slight difference in the 'minimal requirements' in amps for lead players and rythm players... I just need a basic amp i guess. I use somewhat of a metallica-like distortion on my rythms, and I use just a standard, medium distortion, balanced tone for my leads. Also, One thing I really realy need is multiple channels. I've been tryint to use distortion pedals and I cant get the right tone because the EQ for the clean channel and the EQ on the pedals are constantly overlapping, making the distortion sound terrible.

And getting back to the topic of joining the band, I'd be absolutely all for it If i just felt a little bit better about his style of writing music. It's scary for so many different reasons to want to sound like another band. You know? And I'm not big on fake/plastic bands, which, to me, is what it is when somebody doesnt write with their heart, but rather to the standards and confines of a 'style' or 'genre' or, God forbid, 'another band'.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by Sublime_Dude
And getting back to the topic of joining the band, I'd be absolutely all for it If i just felt a little bit better about his style of writing music. It's scary for so many different reasons to want to sound like another band. You know? And I'm not big on fake/plastic bands, which, to me, is what it is when somebody doesnt write with their heart, but rather to the standards and confines of a 'style' or 'genre' or, God forbid, 'another band'.
I don't know, man. Sometimes it's just easier to name a few bands to explain what you like. It doesn't mean they will not like what you write and sound like. If you guys are good and if he is open-minded enough, you might find something everyone can live with. I'm not saying it will be all right. I just think you should jam a bit together and get to know the guys before writing them off on musical taste issues.

That said, if you want to play glam rock or something, I don't think it will work out. :-)

Another thing, am I the only one who spots potential drama with the girlfriend/brother thing? What if she dumps you next week? Or worse, you dump her and she tries to get back at you through her brother and his mates?
Join the band for one or two practices, see how it goes no question about that. Only then can you know if your "sounds like everyone else" fear is justified. High minded ideals are one thing, but it is really really rare to be totally unique and not like anyone else. All the greats draw inspiration from everywhere, just listen to satch talk about his influences with reference to specific songs and it'll become blindingly obvious how he takes influences on board to incorporate into his sound.

your amp should be alright for practicing, you don't need to start looking into bigger amps until you're getting on a gigging circuit which will take a couple of months at least. Also if you're not sure this is going to work out, then definitely don't base your amp decision on what other gear is in the band, get what's best for you.

as for amps though, you don't need to go straight for a 50w valve. Have a proper look at the amp sticky, but you don't necessarily need a valve amp, but if you feel you really must have one then 30w should be comfortably loud enough for a small band
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Lol. Okay, so I glorified the situation, withakay. we're technically not going out yet. Idk. This isnt the relationship thred lmfao but no, thanks for the concern and i've thought about that myself.

Anyway... About the amps. Isnt a valve opposite than a tube? If im mistaken I apologize. Hah ive been up all night so yeah. What are some good manufacturers though?

in regards to joing the band and thm saying what they sound like, when people ask what my band sounds like we say, areosmith, boston, GnR ect... do we purusly say hey lets write a song like a certian band? NO but it works out that way:P
my guitarist and i notice alot of my songs sound like queen or boston. i always laugh.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Sublime_Dude
Lol. Okay, so I glorified the situation, withakay. we're technically not going out yet. Idk. This isnt the relationship thred lmfao but no, thanks for the concern and i've thought about that myself.

Anyway... About the amps. Isnt a valve opposite than a tube? If im mistaken I apologize. Hah ive been up all night so yeah. What are some good manufacturers though?

Valve amps and tube amps are the same thing. They're just two different names, I think one is used more so by the British and one more so by the Americans, but they're still the same nonetheless.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Okay yeah after I asked that about valve amps, I found that out the valves are brit amps and tubes are american lol. But okay thanks for the info. It's been much help. And By the way, I decided that the only way to be sure was to just come right out and ask him if he tries to write and make his music sound like other bands, and he said no. So, you know. He could just be saying that, but I'm going to stick around for a while and see what happens [In other words, I'm in. Lol.]

Quote by Sublime_Dude
(...) I'm going to stick around for a while and see what happens [In other words, I'm in. Lol.]
Good for you. You made the right choice. I hope it'll work out.

Post some stuff in your profile when you come up with something decent.
All the best.