i use ernie ball electic guitar strings but some people say they strecth too much. could that be why i cant stay in tune? what is a GOOD brand. Thanks.
D'addario > all
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
ernie ball are a good brand, if you look on the back of the string packet you can see how many professionals actually use them
Pyramid Strings... cheap and have a great tone. I never had problems using them with detuning, even not on floyd rose guitars.
lixir and dadariirriooo ftw
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Never has a problem with Ernie Ball 9's. What's your guitar?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by nowa90
D'addario > all

You sir, fail

I've used ernie ball regular slinkys for the better part of 8 years on all my guitars. I tune standard, 1/2 step downa nd a whole step down and i have no tuning issues.

You should stretch your strings when you re-string an instrument regalrdless of the brand of strings you're using as they will stay in tune longer. I trust ernie ball strings over any other brand. Look at their packaging, a lot of other guitarists favour these strings.
Pyramid makes great Oud and Lute strings, but I´ve never tried their guitar strings.

I like D'addario 10s but there should be nothing wrong with the EB strings. Are you wrapping the strings properly? Most tuning issues come from how the strings are wound.
ive always used ernie balls and it takes a few minutes for new strings to get into tune but after that theyre ususally good. dont waste your money on elixers.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
I prefer 10's over everything else, and the Ernie's for me stay in tune for weeks and weeks.

Only the first few days is a bit iffy when there fresh on a clean fretboard and new strings.
Quote by nowa90
D'addario > all

+1, stay in tune better and longer than eb
I use 11/49's
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Jun 26, 2009,
They work perfectly well, like any other decent strings. Whether you like them or not is a matter of personal taste: I used to swear by D'Addario, and now that I've played with Ernie Ball for enough time I like them better. And now I want to try Rotosound since I know a few people who are very happy with them... Keep trying and you'll eventually find a brand you think is perfect for you, but make sure you know how to string your guitar first.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I found that D'Addario strings broke far too often, and Ernie Balls didn't sound very good. I prefer GHS strings are nearly invincible and have a really sweet bite to them.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
I found that D'Addario strings broke far too often, and Ernie Balls didn't sound very good. I prefer GHS strings are nearly invincible and have a really sweet bite to them.

I used those once and they went flat in about 9 days. Also the only time I had a d'addario string break on me was my fault when I first started playing when I tuned my B string way to high.
i used to use ernie ball but the strings loose quality fast (maybe cause i play a lot, i dont know) i switched to DR 10's tight fit and i couldnt be happier. DR makes some pretty reliable and quality strings (they dont sound as good as ernie ball in the beginning but they last quite a bit longer)
Quote by darkcheef
I used those once and they went flat in about 9 days. Also the only time I had a d'addario string break on me was my fault when I first started playing when I tuned my B string way to high.

To each his own, good sir.

I've heard good things about DR as well. Also, my friend uses Rotosounds for his bass, and they have a really nice low end to them.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
+1 for DR too. They're IMO the best uncoated strings all round. I'd use them if they weren't so hard to come by... all they have in my town are their bass strings :P
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
i always go elixer for electrics (especially with floyds) and d'addarios for acoustic. works great for me!
Quote by JohnnyV
You sir, fail

I've used ernie ball regular slinkys for the better part of 8 years on all my guitars. I tune standard, 1/2 step downa nd a whole step down and i have no tuning issues.

You should stretch your strings when you re-string an instrument regalrdless of the brand of strings you're using as they will stay in tune longer. I trust ernie ball strings over any other brand. Look at their packaging, a lot of other guitarists favour these strings.

Whoa I do the same thing. I use the 9's for my standards and half step down and 10's for my full step.

TS, EB are good strings imo. And they stay in tune fine for me. Do you have your guitar setup correctly?
I am a big fan of d'Addarrio acoustic strings though. Medium phosphor bronze are the ticket for acoustics for sure. I've used Elixers, d'Addarrio, Fender and Gibson strings on electrics and I just find the Ball's sound stronger and last longer.
im using the evh 9 through 42 and they are pretty nice.
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom 10-52, and dr 10-56 jh-10's
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks
EBs can;t keep tune as well as most strings, but have the tone to keep up and a well set-up guitar can handle it. A little tuning check once and a while doesn't hurt.

Dean Markleys I love, they feel so nice. I use .11s and .12s and dayum I'm not going back to D'Ds the last longer, keep better tune, and have much thicker and smooth tone.

If you're looking for somethign decent for blues-jazz or something without much bite I'm sure Dean Markleys can work for you.
EB's are good, they're what alot of people use, but i tried out Dunlop's and im really liking them alot, i think dunlop's are going to be my strings for a little while.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by nowa90
D'addario > all

This.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats
This.

Not this

D'ds are....well....neutral. Their tone is bland and useful for highly versatile guitarist that will go from thrash, to blues, to jazz, to hard rock, to classic metal, to classic rock in one guitar and cannot really go for a tone that leands toward, say, blues and jazz, because it will take away from the guitars' metal tone.

Unless you're finding your feet style wise I'd stay away.
I used to play only Ernie Balls, but they would always corrode and break really quickly on me, or go dead. I tried D'Addarios too they were pretty good, but then I tried Dunlop strings, and IMO they're the best ones I've played so far. They last a long time and can take a beating.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Quote by Hetfieldjr
ernie ball are a good brand, if you look on the back of the string packet you can see how many professionals actually use them

Yes, they agree to let Ernie Ball use their name in exchange for unlimitd free strings. It's a called an 'endorsement'.

And don't forget, they get their strings changed by a professional tech every single night, so it hardly matters what brand they use. Don't be so naive....
ghs boomers are nice

d'addario is good aswell

but personally i like elixers!
Last edited by Jonas Force at Jun 27, 2009,
My experiences:
D'addario are the best all around.
EBs sound a little better when new but go dead very quickly.
Rotosounds die quicker than EBs, don't seem to hold tune and have a habit of snapping.
Fenders sound ok but feel a bit tacky.

All on the same guitar (US deluxe strat) using 10s and 11s.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by kyle62
Yes, they agree to let Ernie Ball use their name in exchange for unlimitd free strings. It's a called an 'endorsement'.

And don't forget, they get their strings changed by a professional tech every single night, so it hardly matters what brand they use. Don't be so naive....

+100
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads