Today, I was stabbed with a stick covered in melted glue, in the middle of my picking hand's middle finger, instantly burning a wound a few millimetres into my flesh. because of this I can't hold my pick the way I'm used to or tap. I've found I can play leads if I anchor with my ring finger, otherwise I can't control the pick properly and I miss most notes. When I tried to play rhythm parts, I tried to palm mute I found I can't play notes more than 2 strings apart without feeling uncomfortable.

With a bit of pain I clenched my fingers into their usual position and found that I can pick 'correctly', but with my middle finger outstretched I pick from my arm for some reason.

It might take a while to heal properly, so I was wondering what I can do to make sure my technique doesn't fall apart by the time I'm able to play guitar again, because the last time I was stabbed/burned (with a soldering iron!) it took over a week to play properly again after 2 weeks off, and even now I can't approach the speeds I was able to alternate pick at before.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I feel your pain. I used to be able to alt. pick War Ensemble-speed. Now the fastest i can manage is around Battery- style triplets. Just keep trying. If it hurts, do it alil more each day til you can pick at what was your original speed, then when your hands healed IN THEORY you may be able to pick faster without an injury.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Play with your teeth, tongue, earlobes, penis, toes, etc.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
man you get stabbed alot don't you?
I suggest you start wearing kevlar gloves before this s*** happens again
i didn't stab myself!!! and thanks Audioslave95 for giving proper advice and trust me, going from being able to alternate pick at 16nps to 12nps is reallllly frustrating

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Touch titty - you'll just have to wait for it to heal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you got hurt, don't push your body. If you try too hard to do something with your injured hand, then you culd end up doing irreversible damage. I recommend waiting a couple of days; I went almost a week without playing and my picking speed improved, probably because I worked on moving my wrist (and only my wrist) without tension. Don't sweat it and don't anchor.