Page 1 of 3
Hello, guys. I really appreciated all your comments on the thread of a few months' back. I just wanted to follow up on our conversations, really, as we have made some improvements to the mag (many based on your feedback).

I should state here that we are gearing TG towards beginners and intermediates, which may well exclude some of you more advanced shred types, but I hope you appreciate the progress we're making and the fact that we are listening to you.

Some of the improvements are:

- More diversity (including folk, world and funk - no more 'only metal and hard rock with the odd miscellaneous band chucked in for bad measure'!
- More informative interviews and features
- Zero lifestyle-y content
- More gear (and as of our September issue, less 'sizzle' and more meat to our reviews)

Basically, I would sum it up thus: We're proud to be a guitar magazine and determined to give you, the readers, what you want.

I hope we are succeeding in this respect! Judging by all the emails I've had from readers since our 'Rhythm' issue went on sale, I think we're getting there.

But over to you...

Best,
Steve
Last edited by StephenLawson at Jun 26, 2009,
It's great you took the time to make the thread and listen to what people had to say on the magazine both positive and otherewise. I too, will have to check that issue out.

Now, if I can get a "in the history of..." idea in a magazine I'll be happy!

Remember, no matter what styles or bands you cover people will always be willing to check them out. Variety is the spice of life, music and guitar playing too.

In my opinion.
That sounds awesome, I for one I am glad and shall be rebuying this magazine.

For the past few months of buying this magazine the only thing thats kept me interested is the Paul Gilbert lessons.

I also dont really like what your saying about aiming it towards a more Begginer Intermediate audience, please still include stuff that will challenge More Advanced guitar players. And maybe include an Advanced techniques section like your Begginers techniques section, but make it more in depth and dont concentrate on just one technique for five months *cough* string bending *cough*.

And please add more depth to your reviews, maybe even do video reviews on them so we know what they sound like. Also critisise stuff more, i have never seen anything in your magazine that has been reviewed and got less than 3 stars.

Thanks I hope you take some of these comments aboard.
-no sig-
Last edited by Al4Project at Jun 26, 2009,
Wow, It's great to see you actually took notice of what we said.

I may have to buy a copy of the magazine to see the improvements and perhaps become a regular reader again.

Also, to repeat what I asked in the last thread, PLEASE do a piece on Sigur Rós. I would love you forever.
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
Damn, was gonna subscribe some time ago but forgot it, thanks for the reminder
Looks cool. Pity they're not selling it in Israel. Not enough buyers.
Still some problems, even thugh it looked much nicer and was a massive improvement, I think there is still too much beginner content, as a large deal of it (4 pages) was on stuff like "How to play Powerchords" and how to strum.

I'd prefer it if less of it was totally beginner concepts, but more of it was working Begginer up to intermediate, like the basics of sweeping and shred, and how to play some of the faster legato stuff, like the solo in Dead Memories of Slipknot. I can play all the song easily, except the solo, threes no guidance to that, like the magazine holds your hand up to a point then just lets go and you struggle and drown.

Also I dont see the need to desrcibe how to do a Pinch Harmonics about 5 times in every issue.

It's improving though, I love the StealTheirSound feature, but when there are two guitarists in a band, I'd love to see a double page spread on it.

Seeing both Alex and Charlies gear in Fightstar would be very beneficial and nice.
As a subscriber for the last year and a half, I would have to say I think the magazine has lost some of its charm for me lately and I'm considering ending my subscription at the end of this 12 month period if I don't regain my love for TG.

The problem I have could just be that I've outgrown the magazine, but I feel that TG is 'devolving' into a beginner's magazine and would at least benefit from an Advanced song once per article, which could cycle through genres like metal, jazz, flamenco/spanish classical, irregular (i.e Andy McKee) etc. There's just nothing to interest me now as the gear reviews seem to be getting shorter and fewer, the news is usually about bands that seem to look and sound the same, and where I used to value TG for the accurate tabbing of songs that required a fair amount of time to work out by ear (Yeah, sometimes I'm lazy or an odd tuning throws me ) now all I see is chord-strumming for most of a song, then a couple of string bends repeated in various genres.

As someone else in this thread also mentioned the possible 'Advanced' section, I would love it if that did become an addition (though I appreciate I may be in the minority and you have to sell as much as you can to stay in business) it might persuade me and others to renew subscriptions.

On a lighter note, I have been a reader since 2004 and have to admit the subscription saves having to go to the shops and hoping the smaller local newsagents have a copy, and it is also cheaper in the long run by a considerable amount
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 26, 2009,
That's awesome.

There's only one place who sells it in Sweden but I buy it every month.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Awesome, more shred. I've always enjoyed Total Guitar, especially the lessons/reviews, and the cd's. Really great. And the usual token "prize"(picks, that strap). Way cool.

O, just reread, and saw that you were going to exclude most of the shred stuff.
Last edited by ieatu at Jun 26, 2009,
IT seems to me from previous posts that you need to not only include beginner stuff. And its good to see somebody actually listens. I don't know if I've ever gotten one, because it seems like its always metal bands. And I don't play metal. Nice to see some diversity.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

You've got me all interested now. I haven't bought a copy in months but I might just buy one this week. Maybe if your lucky I'll cancel my GT subscription and go back to TG.

And it's awesome that you actually took the time to listen to your readers.

oh but +1 to the sigur ros idea.
Ive been a subscriber for about 3 years or something like that. I love the mag but as people have said earlier i think there's too much beginner stuff and not enough intermediate to advanced stuff. the reviews are a lot better but tbh i wouldn't mind seeing more reviews. The sTeal their Sound section is great and the tabs are top notch every month.

Anyway, i still look forward to getting the mag through my door every month and learn as much as i can from it.

Just remembered one problem i had last year..the strap that came free with one of the issues snapped mid practice the first time i used it. Luckily i caught my axe lol.
Quote by fearofthemark
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

We are the dynamite!!

My Gear:

Hamer XT Series (SATF)
Jackson JS30 Dinky
Vintage V100 Les Paul (w/ Seymour Dunc JB in Bridge pos.)

Korg ToneWorks AX1500G
Marshall MG100HDFX
Last edited by maniac-stevo at Jun 26, 2009,
I really liked the new and improved TG mag (the "Rhythm" one, with Sgt. Hetfield).

However, I too would like to see more lessons geared towards the somewhat more advanced players, even though I do understand that to alienate the beginner guitarists would massively damage sales. That said, a Necrophagist tab now and then couldn't hurt...

The only other complaint I have is that the guest lessons sometimes seem more like an artist demonstrating a technique, which the accompanying article then turns into a lesson (the Preston Reed 'lesson' was just watching him play something, without any real explanation given in the video).

On the other hand, Phil Demmel just seemed to be explaining why he liked dropped tunings in a regular conversation, and then TG meticulously tabbed out all of his random playing, and it didn't really feel like a lesson. Regardless, Phil owns, and Paul Gilbert is consistently excellent with his lessons.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by 3Dpaper
can UG users get some sort of discount?

We should. Free subscription please!

Sorry, someone had to say it.
****!

Sorry, you sent me a copy after the original thread and I completely forgot to send any feedback on it. God I feel like an ass.

While the magazine I recieved (Gallows on the cover) seemes to be very similar to what I'd come to expect from TG ("Lifestyle" features, relatively uninformative reviews etc.) I am very excited by the changes you say have been made. They more or less are exactly what I would have asked for.

Again sorry for not replying to you sooner but it just got away from me. It's great to see the readers suggestions are being acted upon.
Quote by Al4Project
I also dont really like what your saying about aiming it towards a more Begginer Intermediate audience, please still include stuff that will challenge More Advanced guitar players. And maybe include an Advanced techniques section like your Begginers techniques section, but make it more in depth and dont concentrate on just one technique for five months *cough* string bending *cough*.

And please add more depth to your reviews, maybe even do video reviews on them so we know what they sound like. Also critisise stuff more, i have never seen anything in your magazine that has been reviewed and got less than 3 stars.

Thanks I hope you take some of these comments aboard.

Thanks for the comments. We found that the majority of our readers could be described as beginners or improvers/intermediates, so it made sense to ensure that they're well catered for. But I do take on board your point about there being some advanced stuff for guys like you who've been playing a while. This is something we have discussed in our last couple of strategy meetings and we agree it's important to have something a bit challenging each issue.

As for the reviews - and at risk of sounding like a BS-er - we have also discussed this and agreed to make the reviews a bit more critical and informative. As for demos, cost could be a prohibitive factor there, but I am considering alternative ways to achieve this.

Thanks again.
Quote by leeb rocks
****!

Sorry, you sent me a copy after the original thread and I completely forgot to send any feedback on it. God I feel like an ass.

While the magazine I recieved (Gallows on the cover) seemes to be very similar to what I'd come to expect from TG ("Lifestyle" features, relatively uninformative reviews etc.) I am very excited by the changes you say have been made. They more or less are exactly what I would have asked for.

Again sorry for not replying to you sooner but it just got away from me. It's great to see the readers suggestions are being acted upon.

Slacker!
Quote by fumb-duck

Also, to repeat what I asked in the last thread, PLEASE do a piece on Sigur Rós. I would love you forever.

+ a trillion!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
As a subscriber for the last year and a half, I would have to say I think the magazine has lost some of its charm for me lately and I'm considering ending my subscription at the end of this 12 month period if I don't regain my love for TG.

The problem I have could just be that I've outgrown the magazine, but I feel that TG is 'devolving' into a beginner's magazine and would at least benefit from an Advanced song once per article, which could cycle through genres like metal, jazz, flamenco/spanish classical, irregular (i.e Andy McKee) etc. There's just nothing to interest me now as the gear reviews seem to be getting shorter and fewer, the news is usually about bands that seem to look and sound the same, and where I used to value TG for the accurate tabbing of songs that required a fair amount of time to work out by ear (Yeah, sometimes I'm lazy or an odd tuning throws me ) now all I see is chord-strumming for most of a song, then a couple of string bends repeated in various genres.

As someone else in this thread also mentioned the possible 'Advanced' section, I would love it if that did become an addition (though I appreciate I may be in the minority and you have to sell as much as you can to stay in business) it might persuade me and others to renew subscriptions.

On a lighter note, I have been a reader since 2004 and have to admit the subscription saves having to go to the shops and hoping the smaller local newsagents have a copy, and it is also cheaper in the long run by a considerable amount

We actually have an interview with Andy McKee in our issue on sale August - a stars of YouTube piece featuring Andy, Guthrie Govan and the Korean chap who plays Super Mario on two guitars simultaneously (Zakk Kim). There will be some technique examples for each player and if it's popular maybe we should look into tabbing one of Andy's tunes...
^awesome.

get some baby squirrels in there for extra win.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by jimmyled
Looks cool. Pity they're not selling it in Israel. Not enough buyers.

Horrible sales pitch warning!

You could always try a subscription.
Quote by StephenLawson
We actually have an interview with Andy McKee in our issue on sale August - a stars of YouTube piece featuring Andy, Guthrie Govan and the Korean chap who plays Super Mario on two guitars simultaneously (Zakk Kim). There will be some technique examples for each player and if it's popular maybe we should look into tabbing one of Andy's tunes...

Andy McKee? Excellent. Is there anybody that you really want to interview, but haven't been able to get a hold of?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Still some problems, even thugh it looked much nicer and was a massive improvement, I think there is still too much beginner content, as a large deal of it (4 pages) was on stuff like "How to play Powerchords" and how to strum.

I'd prefer it if less of it was totally beginner concepts, but more of it was working Begginer up to intermediate, like the basics of sweeping and shred, and how to play some of the faster legato stuff, like the solo in Dead Memories of Slipknot. I can play all the song easily, except the solo, threes no guidance to that, like the magazine holds your hand up to a point then just lets go and you struggle and drown.

Also I dont see the need to desrcibe how to do a Pinch Harmonics about 5 times in every issue.

It's improving though, I love the StealTheirSound feature, but when there are two guitarists in a band, I'd love to see a double page spread on it.

Seeing both Alex and Charlies gear in Fightstar would be very beneficial and nice.

I love the idea of doing a spread when we feature a band with two guitarists! Thanks for the idea. Let me go back to the team and discuss your ideas about the transition from beginner to improver/intermediate. I think there's a good meeting or two on this alone!

Great feedback. Thanks!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Andy McKee? Excellent. Is there anybody that you really want to interview, but haven't been able to get a hold of?

Not really. We're kind of spoiled in this respect!
Quote by StephenLawson

Lucky bastard, any vacancies?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by StephenLawson

Actually, scratch that... I wish I could have interviewed Eddie Hazel of P-Funk!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Lucky bastard, any vacancies?

Quite possibly! I can't say too much here and now, but stay tuned to the mag and website for more on that...
Quote by StephenLawson

Fucking excellent! Andy Mckee is one of my acoustic heroes.
I was just wondering, how exactly are the song choices made from issue to issue, for example do you take into account requests from readers, or does it go purely on what the transcribers feel up to, or enjoy listening to and playing?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
+ a trillion!

So, hold on, are you all saying we should (possibly) do a piece on Sigur Ros?

We could try and do something on the next album, but I have been warned they are quite hard work in interviews. Did you ever see this?

What are you guys getting us into?!
Quote by StephenLawson

I'm looking forward to the Andy McKee interview then, and any tab would be fantastic (I already know most of Drifting although I'm sure any advice from the master on playing it comfortably would go down great!) and I like Guthrie too
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by ieatu
Awesome, more shred. I've always enjoyed Total Guitar, especially the lessons/reviews, and the cd's. Really great. And the usual token "prize"(picks, that strap). Way cool.

O, just reread, and saw that you were going to exclude most of the shred stuff.

Sorry, that came out wrong - we will still feature shred, but as our shred covers performed really badly on the newsstand, we're having to balance it out with other genres and more achievable technique tutorials. It will be a balance, but I admit the main focus will be on beginners up to intermediates.

To clarify, though: I have met some Grade 8 guitarists who I would consider intermediate (as opposed to advanced like say Andy McKee, Paco Peña or Guthrie).

So what I'm saying is, check the mag, because there may well be some stuff in it for you...
Page 1 of 3