I'm new to amps with FX loops and right now I'm looking at two different amps (Vypyr tube and Valveking). One has an FX loop and the other doesn't. I have a Digitech Whammy, a DD-5 and a Crybaby.

I'm wondering, will my pedals through the FX loop in the Valveking sound better than connected in series in the Vypyr? If so, how much better and whats the tonal difference?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
do you know what the preamp and poweramp are? if not, read the stickies. the FX loop is when effects are placed in between the preamp and the poweramp. the FX send goes out from the preamp and into your pedals that you want to place in the loop, and the output from those pedals goes into the FX return, which goes into the poweramp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
do you know what the preamp and poweramp are? if not, read the stickies. the FX loop is when effects are placed in between the preamp and the poweramp. the FX send goes out from the preamp and into your pedals that you want to place in the loop, and the output from those pedals goes into the FX return, which goes into the poweramp

Yes, I know what they are and how the loop works. What I don't know, though, is how the sound differs from when effects are in the loop (after the preamp) or not in the loop (before the preamp).
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
time based effects such as delay and reverb sound better through an effects loop. it stops them from getting distorted by the gain from the pre-amp, which is not really what you want with something like reverb, because it just makes it sound a mess.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
It's like a matter of sticking a delay/reverb/modulation pedal before or after an OD, with the OD actually being your preamp.
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
time based effects such as delay and reverb sound better through an effects loop. it stops them from getting distorted by the gain from the pre-amp, which is not really what you want with something like reverb, because it just makes it sound a mess.

So using a delay with an amp like the Vypyr Tube would not sound very good?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
off topic. but go with the valveking for sure. WAYYYY better amp bro.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Ah, so I might just have to skip out on the Peavey Vypyr Tube despite my absolute love for the JSX and XXX amp models

But I don't want my Whammy, wah or delay to sound like **** in them.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
No...if you put the delay or reverb or whatever in to the front of your amp instead of the loop, the amp distortion will distort your delay or reverb. Time based effects=effects loop.
Quote by soul.power
So using a delay with an amp like the Vypyr Tube would not sound very good?

i run my delay through the front of my amp and i like the sound of it, but if you are using a digital delay and want the perfect repeats then you're better off running it through a loop.

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
What if you do not use your preamp for distortion? I run everything through the front but I have my distortion pedal before the delay.
Quote by Zacher
What if you do not use your preamp for distortion? I run everything through the front but I have my distortion pedal before the delay.

this is what i do. i have my amp set ultra-clean, and use an od pedal. this sounds fine.

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
i say go for the vypyr nevertheless. whammy and wah should both go before distortion anyway. as for the delay, before the amp it'll make a bit muddier sound more like an analog delay, but i think the delay on the vypyr should handle the more precise sharp delay if you know what i mean.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Basically if you run super clean and use distortion via pedals then it will sound good. If you use the amp distortion then you want to have an fx loop. Savvy?
just get an amp w/efx loop. you will find out that you need one somewhere down the line if you don't need it or use it now. I can't imagine having an amp without one.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Well the vyper probably doesnt have an FX loop as it comes loaded with tons of FX. You just need the controller pedal. If you already have alot of FX that you like to use then the VK would be a better bet. No point in buying an amp loaded with FX you dont use to then use FX pedals.
Quote by madh4ttr
just get an amp w/efx loop. you will find out that you need one somewhere down the line if you don't need it or use it now. I can't imagine having an amp without one.

And yet people have been doing without them for decades...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Delay sounds terrible in front of the amp on a drive channel. An effects loop is a necessity for delay. The others that supposedly go in the loop you can get away with. Doesn't the Vypyr have built in effects?
Quote by bubb_tubbs
And yet people have been doing without them for decades...

this isn't the first time, but you always turn up and are a smart ass
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
this isn't the first time, but you always turn up and are a smart ass

its not like he's wrong, EVH didn't have an FX loop, yet he used tons of modulation and delay and became famous for his tone
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

You hit the nail on the head!
*insert any other cheesy montage*
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Come to think of it, I only really use delay when I'm running clean. Other than that, I usually just do slapback which I don't frequently use.

I plan to use a lot of the Vypyr effects like the phaser, flanger, fuzz, auto wah and a few more I can't think of right now.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I'd go with the Tube Vypyr instead of the Valve King as I was really disappointed with the VK. For all the time you use the time based effects you'd be perfectly well served by using the onboard effects as they're not at all bad on that amp and the pedals you already have like a Wah would go before the amp anyway, even if it did have an effects loop.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
dude the vypyr already has those effects, so i don't see why you are wondering about this (all but the whammy, which would still sound good i think) and also to be honest the valvekings i have played have been crap, they are thin and harsh sounding and my other guitarist just got the 75 watt vypyr after ABing the two and the tube wass honestly not much better than the solid state. So if i was you i would get that and sandpera two. Or maybe even the tiny terror(used) and a cheap cab ( i have this and love it).