I really enjoy the sound of my one-volume tube amp turned up to 1 o'clock for nice overdrive and tighter bottom end compared to the amp turned up to 10.

I want more gain to produce a grittier, fuzzier sound, my original amp with some hair on it.

Should I use a distortion or overdrive pedal to achieve this?

I've heard about people using an overdrive pedal on an already overdriven amp, but not a distortion pedal. Will things get too muddy with a distortion pedal?
"teh most gains"
overdriven amp + distortion pedal = hum + feedback

OVerdriven amp + tubescreamer (overdrive) = more overdrive, minimal loose fuzz.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

distortion pedals can do that, since they are essentially OD pedals with more gain, but a lot of times its impossible to get them not gainy enough. im still not sure really what sound you're looking for, what band might represent the right level of gain that you need? btw, nice sig, that was me
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
distortion pedals can do that, since they are essentially OD pedals with more gain, but a lot of times its impossible to get them not gainy enough. im still not sure really what sound you're looking for, what band might represent the right level of gain that you need? btw, nice sig, that was me

Ha! I didn't think you would notice.

Although not a fan of the band, I really liked Tom Delonge's guitar sound on Enema of the State.
"teh most gains"