Between Standard E and D#, because there is a Green Day song called "Dry Ice" and It sounds horrible when I try to play the song with the song, when I'm in Standard E, so I tuned down half a step, and it STILL sounds terrible, so I was wondering, when the band made this song, were they like...out of tune all together? Like the bass and guitar don't clash, but maybe they tuned a little too flat for Standard E or a little too sharp for D#?

Also, link to song.

http://www.last.fm/music/Green+Day/_/Dry+Ice click the player on the right, I can't find a studio version on youtube.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
most likely the tuning of that song is a quarter step down from E standard.
meaning they werent in perfect tune,or did it on purpose (for some reason)
Yeah some songs are like that. This can happen by the artists choosing, or if the track was recorded to tape, then it can a result of that.

'Layla' is approximately 1/4 step up from E standard because the tape was sped up after the recording.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I know a few people who tune [on purpose] to 430 Hz instead 440 Hz. So tune to standard and if you have a chromatic tuner, let the pointer get to 430 instead of pointing up. It'll be a bit flat. Hope it helps.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
well green day always played 1/2 step down, at least in their earlier years when dry ice was released. What probably happened was the tape they recorded on might have slowed just a little and put it out of tune. Playing it 1/2 step down is probably how they played it live.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
I've always wanted to have a band where we play down 1 1/4 step. We would be like a death metal band but wouldn't be down 2 1/2 steps. So I guess we would be, injured metal.
I know. But for some reason the common idea is that downtuned=brutal

So I figure if we use that idea half downtuned=agressive
Quote by NoOne0507
I know. But for some reason the common idea is that downtuned=brutal

No, downtuned = t3h br00t4lz.

Seriously though, any of these work, TS?

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I noticed this as well, i thought I was tuning wrong for years.

Another one off that album is like that too but I can't remember the name.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by g_tab_man
well green day always played 1/2 step down, at least in their earlier years when dry ice was released. What probably happened was the tape they recorded on might have slowed just a little and put it out of tune. Playing it 1/2 step down is probably how they played it live.

They didn't always play 1/2 step down. The Sweet Children EP is 1/2 step down, but after that they used standard tuning up until Kerplunk. They tuned down a whole step live sometimes.

And yeah, the whole EP with Dry Ice on it (don't remember the name of it ATM) is out of tune.

Edit: Just remembered I think one of the early EPs is in D standard.
Last edited by werty22 at Jun 30, 2009,
I doubt that this is a situation where they intentionally tuned in between E & Eb. (though anything is possible).

it's not like a different tuning or anything. They are just slightly out from standard. Could be they tuned by ear and were slightly off. Could be a matter of using analog tape machines somewhere in the production process (some bands still do this, don't know about Green day). Could be a number of other factors.

TS:

you could just use your ear and tune to the song.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Andragon
No, downtuned = t3h br00t4lz.

All of my songs in my profile are (except for Flying Fish)
are tuned in either C-standard or Bb-Standard.
Nothing "t3h br00t4lz" about them at all.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Zaphikh

All of my songs in my profile are (except for Flying Fish)
are tuned in either C-standard or Bb-Standard.
Nothing "t3h br00t4lz" about them at all.

I dunno, 'Yon Dragon' seems like it would rape me if it were a person
Try to play along with a live version and see how does it sound.