Hello everyone. I've been playing electric guitar for around 4 years now. About 6 months ago, I decided to buy an acoustic guitar to put in my room near my bed so I can just kinda play whenever I feel like it, without having to hook up pedals, cables, amps, etc. I bought some sort of Epiphone AJ model, in a sunburst color. I can't find the exact model on Guitarcenter.com, but that doesn't matter. It cost me around $200. not the best guitar, I know, but for a bedroom teenager on a budget it's perfect.

Anyways, I went to put a new set of strings on the guitar last week. I hadn't broke any, but the stock ones were getting old. Anyways, I know how to go about changing the strings; pop the pin, slide new string in, pop in the pin, etc. However, right off the bat I ran into problems. I could not, for the life of me, get any of the pins out. I finally had to take a pair of pliers and basically screw them off.

My next problem came when I was trying to put the new strings in. I would put the string in the hole, and position the pins in. However, the second I started to tighten the string, the pin started to get looser and looser until finally it would pop out. This happened for every string I tried to put on. Finally, I took a hammer and literally banged on the pins to get them in the guitar tightly. In the process, however, a knot had developed in my G string, from me trying to put it on so many times. I didn't see the knot, and abruptly I broke the string when I went to tighten it. I tuned the rest of the strings up anyways, just to make sure they all worked fine. All the strings worked fine, except for the low E string, which was literally de-tuning as I was playing.

I'm now at the point where I'm going to GC today to pick up more strings and try this process again. Is there any tips anyone can give me about changing the strings? i provided all the details because maybe someone can pick up on something I did wrong when changing the strings. Do I need new pins? that's the only thing I can think of

Recap: Changed strings, had to use pliers to pull off pins, had to use hammer to tighten them, in the process broke a string. Low E was de-tuning as I was playing. help.

Matt

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
^ No. The guitar is perfectly normal.

TS: You should not have used a hammer to hit them in. You may have messed up your pins, but none of us can know for sure. They slipped out because you didn't seat the ball under the bridge pin correctly.

Also, in order to get the pins out, push the strings in so the balls unseat and then pull the pins out. If it's stubborn then get a bridge pin remover for $5-$10 at a guitar store.

NEVER use a hammer on your guitar. Also, pliers are completely unnecessary for just changing strings.

Here's a guide to changing strings. Follow it step by step and you should be fine.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
In case you don't know.

The pins in the bridge, should have a groove down them, where the string sits, so you get them around the right way.

The ball end on the string, SHOULD be up against the body of the guitar (inside) before the pin is half way in.

About a bit less than half an inch from the ball, put a little bend in the string (in line with the string, rather than if you were going to loop the string through the ball end...get me?)

Pop the ball end down into the guitar a fair way, with the kink towards the head stock end.

Hold the pin in the hole loosely, and pull up on the string so that it butts up against the body NOT the end of the pin.

Then hold tight and push the pin down all the way. String the other end up.

If you are going to GC, take the guitar and explain it to them and they SHOULD be able to tell you how to re-string it.

You may want to buy some new pins too, in which case TEST them in the guitar before leaving as not all pins are made equal.

Watch this video, especially around 5 mins.

EDIT: I was typing while Captivate was surging ahead of me!
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 26, 2009,
Thanks for the help guys. I had looked online prior to changing the strings, but looks like I must of goofed up somewhere. That video just helped. I now realize I was trying to rest the ball against the bottom of the pin, not the side. that explains why they kept slipping. Thank you very much again for the help guys

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
You are most welcome.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
No problem.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.