Ok, first off, I would like to say that I am interested in home recording, and that I have a really limited budget. My current equipment is my guitar/amp, and a microphone embedded into my mp3 player. I've scrounged around 200 bucks, and am looking into USB Interfaces. I am between the Line 6 POD Studio UX1, and the Zoom ZFX S2T Modeling Software with USB Computer Recording Interface.

Does anyone own any of the above? If so, which one is the better device? Also, is there another choice that is better than the aforementioned devices, within a 200$ budget?

P.S I'm not interested in the programs, but the interfaces.
I have a UX1 and I think it is great $150. I think it only supports XLR mics and input though. It does come with Pod Farm (emulation software) which is pretty cool. I use Audacity for recording.

Also hit up the Riffs and Recordings forum.
Yeah, I know nothing about mics, so I have no clue what XLR means. I guess I'm going to have to find out sooner or later though.
XLR is a 3 pin music standard interface often used for quality micophones that need a power source. Generally. I think. I'm not an expert on this stuff. Plug mic into that and USB to computer.

There are USB mics out there and some people have had success with them. I know people that record with Rockband mics and I would never know the difference.

I have a Shure SM57 microphone which is geared for instruments. You stick it right up next to your amp at the speaker.

What amp do you have? Do you want to capture the amps tone? If not then you will be relying on emulation for your tone. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. I used to record with guitar > Digitech RP250 > PC.

Hope that helps. I was a complete noob to all of this about 6 month ago.
Ah, so that's what the three holes are for, cool. So, would the XLR need another power source then? Yeah, I was thinking that if I couldn't get a good mic, I'll just buy a good USB mic.

I have a Crate something something, and I don't really like it's tone. That's one of the minor reasons I'm going for PC recording, the emulators. The major ones would be the simplicity of it all, the various emulated amps that I could never afford, and the fact that I've had it with ****ty recordings.

Yeah, this has helped a lot actually. More in the general field than the original question, but still, I need all the knowledge I can get!
Sorry, I got interrupted. I really like our Zoom. If you just want a live quality, the built in mics are pretty good, solves one problem. You can record in mp3 format, and it downloads to your computer quickly through the USB. We actually have the H-4(4-track), but on another thread I agreed most people including our band don't need those features. The songs on my profile are practice with the Zoom in about the middle of the room. It may give you an idea of recording quality. The music is a matter of preference.
Quote by chokmool
Sorry, I got interrupted. I really like our Zoom. If you just want a live quality, the built in mics are pretty good, solves one problem. You can record in mp3 format, and it downloads to your computer quickly through the USB. We actually have the H-4(4-track), but on another thread I agreed most people including our band don't need those features. The songs on my profile are practice with the Zoom in about the middle of the room. It may give you an idea of recording quality. The music is a matter of preference.

Well, the problem is, I really don't like my amps tone. The ZOOM H2 was actually my first choice, over the interfaces. I mean, the Line 6 is cheaper than the H2 and can give me lots of tones to fiddle with.