I've posted this in Guitar Gear & Accessories, and someone told me I should try here as well.

So, first off, I would like to say that I am interested in home recording, and that I have a really limited budget. My current equipment is my guitar/amp, and a microphone embedded into my mp3 player. I've scrounged around 200 bucks, and am looking into USB Interfaces. I am between the Line 6 POD Studio UX1, and the Zoom ZFX S2T Modeling Software with USB Computer Recording Interface.

Does anyone own any of the above? If so, which one is the better device? Also, is there another choice that is better than the aforementioned devices, within a 200$ budget?

P.S I'm not interested in the programs, but the interfaces.
I don't own either. Personally I'm a fan of E-MU. IMO they've got the best $200 USB interface, the E-MU 0404. It's got all the bases covered for a simple home recording operation, as long as you don't need to multi-track.
We're only strays.
Don't spend a penny on interfaces yet. try out recording with your guitar plugged straight into the input on the back of your computer. listen to some of the recordings on The Noise band page to hear what kind of sound i make recording this way. all you need is a small adapter and some of the free demos and programs and you have a whole recording studio. here is a link to the band page. http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/thenoise/
A friend has an EMU, it's really good (though it's a 1616 not a 0202 or 0404). Either way the quality is pretty damn good and going from the Zoom effects pedal I own then "wouldn't", "touch" and "barge poll" come to mind.

Of the two I'd go with the line 6, though emu over both.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
line 6
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I don't own either. Personally I'm a fan of E-MU. IMO they've got the best $200 USB interface, the E-MU 0404. It's got all the bases covered for a simple home recording operation, as long as you don't need to multi-track.

Ok, I'll bite on the E-MU. Would you mind explaining the differences between the 0404 and the 0202?
Well the 0202 is outdated all together because now there's the Tracker Pre which is only like $20 more. The main difference between those two is that the Tracker Pre is powered via the USB, and it has 48v phantom power. As far as what more the 0404 has to offer from there is probably just slightly better all around quality, as well as MIDI I/O, and better on board level monitoring.

So don't bother with the 0202, get either the Tracker Pre or the 0404. Both of these have some key features such as direct monitoring, phantom power, and low noise and latency, and they're both pretty straight forward and hassle-free.
We're only strays.
Quote by muckypup
Don't spend a penny on interfaces yet. try out recording with your guitar plugged straight into the input on the back of your computer. listen to some of the recordings on The Noise band page to hear what kind of sound i make recording this way. all you need is a small adapter and some of the free demos and programs and you have a whole recording studio. here is a link to the band page. http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/thenoise/

that wont work. ive tried (more than once ). you need an amp (or interface) to boost the guitar output signal to a level the computer can read. or something like that. but i know you need something between the guitar and the computer. wheather it be an amp or interface or whatever.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
works fine on certain setups. I ran direct for a long time on my desktop - sounded great. On my laptop sounded terrible.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jun 27, 2009,
The upside of the Line 6 and similar interfaces is you get alot of amps and effects to play around with. This is a good learning experience and save you wasting money on equipment you don't need.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well the 0202 is outdated all together because now there's the Tracker Pre which is only like $20 more. The main difference between those two is that the Tracker Pre is powered via the USB, and it has 48v phantom power. As far as what more the 0404 has to offer from there is probably just slightly better all around quality, as well as MIDI I/O, and better on board level monitoring.

So don't bother with the 0202, get either the Tracker Pre or the 0404. Both of these have some key features such as direct monitoring, phantom power, and low noise and latency, and they're both pretty straight forward and hassle-free.

Hmm, I think I'm better off with the Tracker Pre. One question though. Will the Tracker Pre work with Amplitube?
Quote by nobadreviews
Hmm, I think I'm better off with the Tracker Pre. One question though. Will the Tracker Pre work with Amplitube?

all of em should work fine with any sim or DAW
Quote by strangedogs
all of em should work fine with any sim or DAW

Sweet, decision is officially made.
Ah, you guys were a lot of help!