Poll Options
View poll results: guitar words are
rhetoric play
50 46%
actually have a meaning.
58 54%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
you know what I've never understood? terms like "wailing overdrive", "creamy cleans", "glistening cleans" and so on.

you know what I think all of these words mean? ****ing nothing, that's what. I think they are just pretty words that have absolutely no meaning. you might as well substitute all of them with "good".
or am I wrong?

really, I don't know. is there a difference between glistening and creamy cleans etc. or ist it all one big rhetoric goobeldygoop?

(changed the poll because the option "coreysMonster sucks" was getting way too many votes)
Quote by metaldud536
I'll be honest: I was gonna vote that option.

I know you were

v the fuck? since when am I a troll? it's not like I never post around here
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know you were

Well here's my input: I think they have meaning. Music is like food you know?
Quote by identityxcrysis
Why am I thinking 'troll'?

Because you don't know how to think.
It doesn't really bother me. I refuse to vote on the grounds that this thread is pointless.
Like "Crushing Overdrive"?

... Yeah, they're pointless.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
They do have a meaning. It's the beauty of the english language I guess. But then I often see music I listen to in shapes and colours, so maybe it's just me.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I'm with you, I don't get them.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
its called descrptive language,

creamy = thick
wailing = heavy/harmonically rich
glistening = mid and treble rich.

catch my drift?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Haven't you noticed people only use them to descrive something really crappy?
Like "Crushing overdrive". Total bullsht.
I'm sorry I didn't see /rant there...

...can you please try again?

TY
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Like I said, some make sense. Like crunchy, muddy, chunky, hot, etc. But some I just don't get.
Quote by Silver-spear94
its called descrptive language,

creamy = thick
wailing = heavy/harmonically rich
glistening = mid and treble rich.

catch my drift?

But that implies that everyone has those same meanings for those words, which I doubt they do. A creamy clean to one person would sound different to somone else, which is why they're pointless.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Hereiwas
They do have a meaning. It's the beauty of the english language I guess. But then I often see music I listen to in shapes and colours, so maybe it's just me.

exactly. It just makes it sound like its better than it actually is
Anything too stupid to be said is sung.
I think it's pointless. I'm not really picky about guitar tone anyways, but most people seem to like to fiddle around with everything and buy a million accessories just to get the 'perfect' sound.
It's a way to vaguely describe music.

If everybody knows what you mean when you say it, it would probably have some meaning.

But nah. It's just not a word.

Does "Too much Stock" count to that?
DeVillains!
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know what I've never understood? terms like "wailing overdrive", "creamy cleans", "glistening cleans" and so on.

wailing overdrive - sounds like a baby in pain

creamy cleans - makes me want to eat mashed potatoes when used

glistening cleans - make me all oily and thus glistening after use..

that's what they meant to me.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by jambi_mantra
But that implies that everyone has those same meanings for those words, which I doubt they do. A creamy clean to one person would sound different to somone else, which is why they're pointless.

Without them though, we are left with saying things like "good distortion", "clean cleans" and whatnot, and "good" is way more subjective than "wailing" or any of the others.
they describe how the sounds feel

if that makes sense... :S
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(")

I met this chick in a bar in Sao Palo. She was drop dead gorgeous. Soft spoken, intelligent, willing.
Ya he was a let down alright.

i ROFLed
Lots of meaning...

When somebody is trying to describe a tone,

"creamy overdrive" or "dry overdrive" make a big difference.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by CoreysMonster

you know what I think all of these words mean? ****ing nothing, that's what. I think they are just pretty words that have absolutely no meaning. you might as well substitute all of them with "good".
or am I wrong?

really, I don't know. is there a difference between glistening and creamy cleans etc. or ist it all one big rhetoric goobeldygoop?

(changed the poll because the option "coreysMonster sucks" was getting way too many votes)

wow your not to bright are you....hear is a quick guide to what those words to describe tone mean:

creamy - low and mid range boost
warm - upper low end boost
punchy - mid range boost
glistening - high range boost
bright - high range boost
sceaming - driven mids
Quote by JayLacelle
wow your not to bright are you....hear is a quick guide to what those words to describe tone mean:

creamy - low and mid range boost
warm - upper low end boost
punchy - mid range boost
glistening - high range boost
bright - high range boost
sceaming - driven mids

um.. is there like a tone dictionary where that is defined? or is that your personal opinion?

EDIT: ah, may 09. I understand.
Quote by CoreysMonster
um.. is there like a tone dictionary where that is defined? or is that your personal opinion?

Those words really do have meaning... just like "scooped", which is probably the most used out of any of them.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by CoreysMonster

peoples opinions may vary slightly but 99% of guitar players agree of this
Considering sound is fairly difficult to describe and everyone will have different definitions of words, I vote to change the way we describe guitar sounds from words to just imitating the sound with our voices sort of like onomatopoeia IT WILL WORK TRUST ME NOW GO
Quote by JayLacelle
peoples opinions may vary slightly but 99% of guitar players agree of this

actually, according to my poll, 50% of the guitarists do not agree on this.
i believe what you are trying to say is that adjectives are useless. lets try to replace some adjectives with "good" like you say we should do.

Wow! That was some good sex.

What a good guitar player you are!

Man, this is some good weed.

Now, lets try using the creative, non-monotonous side of our brains.

Wow! That was some phenomenal, mind-blowing, earth-quaking sex.

What an astonishing, panty-dropping guitar player you are!

Man, this is some mind-numbing, life-altering weed.
Quote by metaldud536

Because you don't know how to think.

Fair enough.

Anyway, I think they actually have meaning. I think they're there to give a description of how it actually sounds.
Think like, creamy solo, it's very smooth sounding, fat, probably neck pick-up.
I actually don't really get how that's so hard to understand, no offense.
I think it all make sense.
Quote by sickstring11
i believe what you are trying to say is that adjectives are useless. lets try to replace some adjectives with "good" like you say we should do.

Wow! That was some good sex.

What a good guitar player you are!

Man, this is some good weed.

Now, lets try using the creative, non-monotonous side of our brains.

Wow! That was some phenomenal, mind-blowing, earth-quaking sex.

What an astonishing, panty-dropping guitar player you are!

Man, this is some mind-numbing, life-altering weed.

okay, now lets try using guitar words:

wow! that was some crushing sex!
what a wailing guitar player you are!
man, this is some glistening weed!

it just... doesn'T sound like a real meaning, but rather a picture someone's painting for himself
Quote by CoreysMonster
actually, according to my poll, 50% of the guitarists do not agree on this.

and how many people have taken that poll? all the guitar players of the world?
Quote by JayLacelle
and how many people have taken that poll? all the guitar players of the world?

how many guitar players do you know? all the guitar players in the worlds?

really, your argument doesnt make sense.
no i usually get them. They DO have meanings, that's why they got started. They're all onomonopoiea, i think

for sure the best way to describe the sound of an electric though a tube amp is "glassy"
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by CoreysMonster
how many guitar players do you know? all the guitar players in the worlds?

really, your argument doesnt make sense.

no but i know A LOT more players than have taken this poll

if someone disagrees with these "tone words" than it's their loss. these words are meant to make it easier to describe guitar sounds...just because your brain can't comprehend these simple analogies doesn't mean it's stupid
Quote by JayLacelle

if someone disagrees with these "tone words" than it's their loss. these words are meant to make it easier to describe guitar sounds...just because your brain can't comprehend these simple analogies doesn't mean it's stupid

uh okay, no need to get angry, dude oO
Like someone else said, crunchy, muddy, clean etc. make sense, but others don't. I have never understood how warm, bright, and glistening fit in with certain tones. Like I heard someone, not in this thread, describe Keith Richards tone as really bright or warm I can't remember which, and I immediatley thought no his tone his dirty and crunchy not warm or bright. Warm and bright are terms I would associate with clean if I knew nothing about guitar.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by JayLacelle

+1

it doesn't matter if this guy's an 09er or not, he nows his ****. Trying to use someone's join date as a valid argument, or a way to prove them wrong or you right is retarded.

A person with 63 IQ and a severe learning impairment could have joined in ****ing 2003 for all we know, or Mozart himself could join in 09.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Glass like cleans, creamy cleans, warm overdrive, harsh overdrive that sorta stuff all has meaning.
It's when you're saying stuff like "That overdrive is crushing/wailing/etc" that's bollocks.
Quote by poopsmith666
+1

it doesn't matter if this guy's an 09er or not, he nows his ****. Trying to use someone's join date as a valid argument, or a way to prove them wrong or you right is retarded.

A person with 63 IQ and a severe learning impairment could have joined in ****ing 2003 for all we know, or Mozart himself could join in 09.

nah, his "wow, you're not too bright, are you?" and "you're stupid" kinda made me see him as an immature person who, instead of trying to teach people, flame them instead. people who have been here longer no better than to insult right away without reason.
Page 1 of 2