How should I learn them? Like position 1, then 2, then 1 and 2 together, or just 1 and 2 together? Would it be easier?
What every works for you not everyone learns the same way.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I mean like, if I learned 1&2 together, then 2&3 then 3&4 then 4&5 then all of it together, would that be better than learning all of the positionsseperately or would I bemissing something out?
There are only 5 scale positions for major or minor pentatonic. Learn them all in the key of G/Emin. G Major pentatonic (G,A,B,D,E) or E minor pentatonic (E,G,A,B,D)
Then apply them to whatever key you are in, because the positions are all movable up and down the fretboard. Set up your metronome or drum machine and sit back and improvise little grooves in each position, remembering where the tonic(root) is, which will determine the major or minor key, and memorize the sound of each scale as you go... it's more about ear training and grooving than memorizing theory.
Quote by jtkguitar
it's more about ear training and grooving than memorizing theory.

Absolutely this. I only "learnt" the pentatonic scale in 1 position, but I can nonetheless play it by ear everywhere on the fretboard. If you learn the rules of playing scales off by heart, you'll be able to play those scales off by heart and nothing else.

However, with a good ear, you can not only find the scales yourself, but you'll probably use them in a far more "natural" way when you do. Also, with enough training, you'll be able to spontaneously improvise in any situation, play along to songs you've never heard before and a number of other very useful things.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
whilst I agree with the above post, recently I saw a youtube interview with billy sheehan where he talked about moving the pentatonic scale around by imagining the "top" of each successive scale shape like a 'chord shape'. I thought it was quite nifty, might help once you have the 1st position down. I'll see if I can find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRicIFHzAI
here it is. it's kind of confusing cos it's major rather than minor penatonic which most people are used to, but they're both the same scale just with the root note shifted.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jun 27, 2009,
There are many different methods for learning scales, but here's a few pointers from my jazz teacher

1. Learn the intervals, not just the shapes. If you learn the shapes, you will get locked into that "shape" and not use the scale creatively or musically.
2. Practice the scale up and down and in different ways. Break it down and mix it up.
3. Play it in different keys and positions.