O.k.....Back story:

About 10 moths ago I was the guitarist in my school's jazz ensemble, in a couple jam groups, and I played occasionally with a proffesional band. I was pretty much the only serious guitarist in my entire high school.

Then, This guy moves to town, and he's really good, like easily as good as I am, and we jammed a few times, and that's cool and all, but then I got a serious case of carpletunnel in my right hand, so I had to stop playing for like 3-1/2 months untill it was all healed after surgerey and all. Well, While I was debilitated, this other guitarist started practicing all serious like, and now he is REALLY good, and I'm still not even back at the level I was at BEFORE the surgery.

After all of this, there was a "Music appreaciation day" at my high school, adn all the school's musicians played a little for the day, and we had a great time, and it was really fun and stuff...UNTILL, This new guy, knowing I'm in a debilitated state, challanges me to an improvising "guitar off", so, being the idiot that i am, I abliged, and we went like 20 rounds back and forth and it was pretty cool, untill he RALLIED the shiz out of me, and I looked like a newb, and now he is like the local "Guitar guy" and I get no street cred. any more. I guess my point is that I'm kind of pissed off, and I'd like to get back at him.

tl;dr: I got owned by another guitarist, and want to get him back.

Therefor, i've come here for advice...

Here's a list of my skills at the moment:
Improvising on several scales
Hammer-on/pull-off proficiency
Barre chords
open chords
Tapping at an intermidiate level
Left hand muting
Right hand muting
Use of double stops
Pinch harmonics
Natural and artificial harmonics
Legato playing
Alternate picking

Here's a list of his skillsI'll put a # next to the ones we share, and an X next to the he can do and I can't)
Improvising on several scales #
Hammer-on/pull-off proficiency #
Barre chords #
open chords #
Tapping at an intermidiate level #
Right hand muting #
Economy picking X
Alternate picking #
Use of Triplets on 16th and 32nd notes X (Not sure it's a skill specifically, but I can't do it, and he can)

So my question is: How can I beat him with the skills that I have Vs. the ones he does?
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Play freebird, and then when he tries to play something, take your guitar and smack him in the back of the head with it, and then play freebird again.

But really, does it matter who is the better guitarist in town? If you want to really be the coolest, get a band and make some really good music. So beat him musically instead of technically.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Last edited by Slimjim5792 at Jun 26, 2009,
well i untill i graduated a few weeks ago was at least one of the best players if not the best. i am well rounded and play everything from classical or flamenco to thrash speed metal. but apparently people only care about sweep picking. i opted not to learn it forever because its always overused and has become what tapping was in the 80's but i guess its the only thing people really respect. so learn to sweep and do it alot, its not that hard to do really i picked it up watching my friend learn how to do it and had it in about half anh hour
I bet 5 british pounds that the best guitar player in the town lives in a basement and plays so much that he can not tell the difference between guitar and women. Are you that fellow? Because if not, then you will never be the best and neither will the other guy.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

yeah bro, Music isnt a competition. Its a fun, loving, emotional thing. Being a successful musician is a more epic win than being a ridiculous noisy player.
GEAR
Guitars
Yamaha RGS-121
IBANEZ GIO GAX30
Sound
ACQUIRING AMP
Boss ME-6 multi-effects
Boss DS-1

New things are in order.
if you think about it this good for both of you, because you probably both end up getting better in the end.
You could learn to sweep pick?
you could learn some some diminshed arpegios and scared him away?
Dude, just rape.

Learn Eruption and stop being childish. Or change to acoustic and challenge the other childish kid to jam with you. Then own him in the face.
Hey man, my suggestion is the same as the other guys. Get into a band and make some awesome music. There are plenty of guys out there who can play some awesome technical stuff, and although that is truly impressive, they definitely have skill, you need to be able to apply that to a musical context. Some of the most technically proficient guys I know can't play with a band, because they have all the flash, but no idea how to apply it. I think it is more impressive to be part of a tight sounding musical group than to be technically amazing. That is just my opinion though man.
GEAR:
67' Gibson ES-335(Cherry)
Oscar Schmidt Delta King
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
PEDALBOARD:
TC Electronic Polytune
Fulltone GT-500
Vox Wah
Ernie Ball volume
Sparkle Drive (clean boost)
Boss DD-20
Quote by blackibanezrg27
well i untill i graduated a few weeks ago was at least one of the best players if not the best. i am well rounded and play everything from classical or flamenco to thrash speed metal. but apparently people only care about sweep picking. i opted not to learn it forever because its always overused and has become what tapping was in the 80's but i guess its the only thing people really respect. so learn to sweep and do it alot, its not that hard to do really i picked it up watching my friend learn how to do it and had it in about half anh hour

Yep. This guy's got it. Sweeping is really the thing that people look for, and no matter if you got the fastest chops or can play some sick melodies, sweep picking is gonna beat it.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
you must not be that good if you don't know what a triplet is and you can't economy pick.

I mean those are the basics. And there will always be better players, so grow up.
Quote by cgolden
Yep. This guy's got it. Sweeping is really the thing that people look for, and no matter if you got the fastest chops or can play some sick melodies, sweep picking is gonna beat it.

Well sweeping just sounds ****ing awesome if you do it cleanly
Quote by Guitar Skater
your gonna try and be a better guitarist than someone? get a life

that's what makes you a good musician, to always try to be better, if the motivation is being better than this guy... then it's fine
Quote by cgolden

i disagree...imo sweep picking is absolutely ridiculous and should not dictate someone's ability, especially to non musicans. So what if you can play an intricate arpeggiated chord really really fast...if you're looking to impress a non musican then sweep pick...if you're looking to impress a musician, play with emotion and passion, and incorporate the theory behind sweep picking if you'd like.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by rocknskate4
i disagree...imo sweep picking is absolutely ridiculous and should not dictate someone's ability, especially to non musicans. So what if you can play an intricate arpeggiated chord really really fast...if you're looking to impress a non musican then sweep pick...if you're looking to impress a musician, play with emotion and passion, and incorporate the theory behind sweep picking if you'd like.

thats what we were saying that although its ridiculous its all people wanna hear. when i wasnt the best it was this kid who could only sweep. he never played a song he would just sweep and wed be like what song is that and hed have to explain what small part of a solo that was because he never played anything else but he still somehow was better than everyone else.
Quote by blackibanezrg27
thats what we were saying that although its ridiculous its all people wanna hear. when i wasnt the best it was this kid who could only sweep. he never played a song he would just sweep and wed be like what song is that and hed have to explain what small part of a solo that was because he never played anything else but he still somehow was better than everyone else.

then he's really not "better", he might be a better showman, but by no means a better musician.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
isnt that what this post is about? publicly showing up someone else? the author might well be a better musician that his rival but he wants other people to see him shine in his face. so practice everything! be a good player for all the right reasons! learn sweeping and use it sparingly on songs and when it applies but overuse it on this guy and any bystanders will think your awesome
1)Learn to play piano
2)challenge him to a rock off
3)When he wows the audience with his guitar licks go all chopin on his ass
4)?????
5)PROFIT!!!!!
Seriously though who cares if he's a better guitarist than you. Form a band and make some awesome music. Playing your own music in a band is about 1000 times more impressive than a bunch of exercises.
Hybrid Picking
String Skipping
8-finger tapping

And make some awesome licks!
I've heard it both ways
why dont you just learn from him instead of trying to be better.

learn his stuff, then go and make your own style out of it
Quote by ILuvPillows?
I bet 5 british pounds that the best guitar player in the town lives in a basement and plays so much that he can not tell the difference between guitar and women. Are you that fellow? Because if not, then you will never be the best and neither will the other guy.

hahahaha that's me. i suck
No no, you have it all wrong.

Learn to hybrid pick like a mother****er and play him T.A.Z. by Zakk Wylde.
He won't have **** on you no more, I promise.
Quote by NickGranger
why dont you just learn from him instead of trying to be better.

learn his stuff, then go and make your own style out of it

this

Music isn't competition!