Should I learn each different position then put them together to make one big pentatonic scale, or learn them together like positions 1&2, together, 2&3, 3&4 and so on then play them all together or what?

How did you learn them?
I memorized each scale, then applied it to every position on the 21 frets most of my guitars have until I could do it smoothly over the entire thing with each position. The same'll work for you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 26, 2009,
By combining them you mean playing the positions one after the other, or playing them in order, palying the note once

I hope you understand that lol
Quote by Lollage123
By combining them you mean playing the positions one after the other, or playing them in order, palying the note once

I hope you understand that lol

Blending the positions together. Going down one, sliding into the next and going back up it, then down the next one and so on.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Learn the notes they contain, learn how they're constructed, learn what they sound like, see how they relate to chords and and learn how and when they can be used them over different progressions in different keys- the patterns are simply where to play them, and that's just a tiny piece of the puzzle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 26, 2009,
Learn the major pentatonic and the minor pentatonic and conect them . Then keep learning the next shapes.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Blending the positions together. Going down one, sliding into the next and going back up it, then down the next one and so on.

I remember feeling like a genius when I did that the first time.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Artemis Entreri

I don't understand

could you go a bit deeper im not sure what you mean xD
There is no right way, but you have to try a little bit of everything.

FIrst and foremost, memorize each and every scale. Start with the G form from the C A G E D. Its the one that looks like (hopefully this nomenclature doesnt confuse you. Play the X's and O's, do not play the periods:
x . . x
x . . x
x . x .
x . x .
x . x .
o . . x

Where I put the O instead of an X, that is the minor pentatonic root. In other words, if you practice that form with the O at the 5th fret, you are playing an A minor pentatonic scale....if you play it at the 12th fret, that is an E minor pentatonic scale. Learn that scale by heart and practice it all over the neck to play different keys. Now, in addition you should also practice staying with one key, and playing the different forms of the same scale all over the neck. To the left of the scale above, the A form of the minor pentatonic.

. x . x
. x . x
x . . x
x . . x
. x . x
. x . o
Note the common position of the O with the G form of the scale. The E form, which goes to the right of the G form:
. x . x
. x . x
x . x .
x . . x
x . . x
. x . x

Note how the common sides of each scale are the exact same notes (the left side of the E pattern is the same as the right side of the G pattern. I'll leave the C and the D forms up to you. I think you'll be able to figure it out.