well, ive set myself on getting a new amp sometime before 2010, probably around xmas if not a little after, maybe even my bday in feb 2010.

i just want to know what would be the best wattage for what i do? im not asking for amp recommendations or anything, i intend to spend the next few months researching and hunting down various amps of certain wattages that i know are good.

heres my situation, i wont be using it for bedroom/studio use, i have my BH5H for that, it will be primarily a band rehersal, and gigs (small/medium sized audiences)

so what would be the best valve wattage to look into? ive dismissed 100 watts as no one needs that kind of valve power.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
ive dismissed 100 watts as no one needs that kind of valve power.

How often do you use cleans?
depends on what you're playing, not to mention amps of the same wattage often distort at different volumes, not to mention issues with speakers, tubes variations
i dont use cleans much, the closest to clean i really use is slightly overdriven with delay.

like in the interval in blink's dammit.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

id go used if it called for it, and it would be shippable, i used my ibanez for most everything these days, occasionally use my friends washburn which has EMGs in it.

like i said i use a BH5H for practise at the moment, and my 8100 head for band rehersals and gigs.

ive got a few things i need to spend cash on first, so i guess my budget is a low as decent used tube amps of a reaosnable wattage are.

i guess about £300 ish? maybe about £400 if i wait till my bday.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Do you ever read threads or just make them? This question is answered twice a day at the minimum.
Well the Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Ultra 60, Crate Vintage Club series and Laney AOR series all have good overdriven tones and fairly nice clean tones, especially the Classic 30. They're all around 300-400$ used, look for clips of them on youtube and check craigslist/ebay for some of them.
well im in the UK, so ive got Gumtree, Vivastreet and Ebay for used stuff, and whatever might crop up in Machineheadmusic.

ive thought about peavey classics, and ive seen some AORs go dirt cheap on the bay, if 30 watts is enough you guys recon, then the classic would seem the way to go.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Actually I'd reccomend the AOR over the Classic 30. But thats just me. You should play/listen to clips of both.
what about Laney VCs? how loud is the VC15 compared to the VC30? since i dont play much clean stuff for gigs, mostly punk and some other rock (sex pistols, blink, the darkness etc) would 15 watts be enough you recon?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Nah, I'd go for 30-50 watts. You'll get more headroom if you do want clean stuff in the future.
hmm, point taken, i dont play much clean stuff now, but i probably in the future, and that spare headroom would be nice if i feel like a change of genre of some scale.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Yeah. So I guess I'd go for the Classic 30 if I were you, it'll get you a good OD tone, and will get you better cleans then the AOR, and it can be boosted with a TS9 or the like if you want more gain. Good luck finding one.
Quote by gregs1020
Do you ever read threads or just make them? This question is answered twice a day at the minimum.

+1
tube: between 40 and 100 (and 100 is pushing it)
solid-state: between 70 and 150?
***Short Sig***
50-100w there isn't that much difference in volume between a 50w head and a 100w head. Just better headroom and bass response.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
How often do you use cleans?

I get great cleans out of my 50W.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.