i wanted to learn come clarity and noticed its in A# F A# CGD or something like that,i have a custom set on my guitar which is something like .56 . 46 .38 but they get all wobbley on b# and i dont think they're playable on A, do they really tune that low?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
it is possible and you need REALLY heavy gauge strings, it'll still probably feel wobbly
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Yes they do. It is Possible. Lot's of bands do it, youjust need a thicker guage of string that will be better for the lower tunings as far as I know.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
They do. And they don't even have baritones They play a LP and a Gibson V.
I don't tune lower than Drop C so they can suck my dick.
just put some 12s or 13s on your guitar and you're done, have 12s now and drop A# isn't a problem, but i prefer drop c and d standard.

Ps. Amon Amarth tunes down to drop A and Soulfly on some songs do Drop G...
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Last edited by svelle at Jun 26, 2009,
There is no b# unless you want to get into enharmonic stuff. But a gauge 56 low E should be thick enough for it. You might accidentally be tuning too low, try using a chromatic to make sure you're right.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
is there a heavier gauge than a .56? by how much is it bigger? why do they tune so low?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by mamosa
They do. And they don't even have baritones They play a LP and a Gibson V.
I don't tune lower than Drop C so they can suck my dick.

whats the difference between a baritone guitar and a regular guitar??
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
some bands tune lower, its no big deal. but i personally will not go past B
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
12s or 13s are fine for drop a# Youll have a muddy sound with thinner ones though, its ****
They used to only go to C Standard, but once they went lower, they started to suck. The Jester Race was their peak, imo. Anyway, you need a higher gauge of strings to get that low.
Quote by shredmaster12
whats the difference between a baritone guitar and a regular guitar??

a baritone is guitar with a longer neck causing more tension making it possible to tune lowe
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Yes, since (don't quote me on this) STYE (or maybe R2R?) In Flames tune to Drop A#, which is C Standard with low C dropped another whole step. I think they use 12.-56. sets on their guitars.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
if you want to play some in flames..then just get some heavier strings. other bands tune lower then that so idk why its even in question (search through the forums a lil bit and youll find ppl playing ERG to like F# or some ****. maybe you dont have an ERG but IMO its pretty possible for you to get what ever tuning you want). half of these responses are saying "oh i tune to drop c blah blah blah" and all i think is...who gives a shat what you tune to? he is talkin about what he has to do to tune HIS guitar to fcukin A.

and whats with the guy saying they can suck my dick?why did you even post in here? to feel like your giving some sort of imput? its an endless, pointless conversation. get heavier strings...set the fcukin thing up. if you cant do it yourself...bring it to a tech

the whole point to forums is to give advice to someone else, and give a worthwhile opinion. seems like only about half, or a third or worth much.

this thread is over.
Quote by svelle
just put some 12s or 13s on your guitar and you're done, have 12s now and drop A# isn't a problem, but i prefer drop c and d standard.

Ps. Amon Amarth tunes down to drop A and Soulfly on some songs do Drop G...

i thought cavalera uses a 4-string custom guitar.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
if you want to play some in flames..then just get some heavier strings. other bands tune lower then that so idk why its even in question (search through the forums a lil bit and youll find ppl playing ERG to like F# or some ****. maybe you dont have an ERG but IMO its pretty possible for you to get what ever tuning you want). half of these responses are saying "oh i tune to drop c blah blah blah" and all i think is...who gives a shat what you tune to? he is talkin about what he has to do to tune HIS guitar to fcukin A.

and whats with the guy saying they can suck my dick?why did you even post in here? to feel like your giving some sort of imput? its an endless, pointless conversation. get heavier strings...set the fcukin thing up. if you cant do it yourself...bring it to a tech

the whole point to forums is to give advice to someone else, and give a worthwhile opinion. seems like only about half, or a third or worth much.

this thread is over.

Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious. Haha.

By the way. Someone link me to that band that plays in drop G, I gotta see that ****.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Dawnwalker
i thought cavalera uses a 4-string custom guitar.

No he doesnt. He just doesnt put on the E and the B.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
That's nothing, try some ISIS. They use F#, F#, B, E, G#, C#. (As in down from standard)
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
i'm waiting to see a metal band do drop D,

..no, not just with a dropped E, the whole damn thing down an octave THEN drop D. on a standard length guitar. has it been done?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Baritone is the way to go, with some nice 12's in it
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Mortician use G Standard.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
if you really want to tune low as in drop A you should probably get 4 heavy strings and then only 2 light strings, like on my guitar i have my gauges set at .52 .46 .42 .30 .17 .13 i had to steal the .46 string from my dunlop strings and rig it in with my Earney Ball strings, on my Jackson King V2. i have a tremello and i can hardly use it because the strings pull that tremello up so much, but i can easily get it into drop A so i can play songs like Psychosocial by Slipknot. its an awesome song and my Metal Master distortion pedal really pumps out the Heavyness of the strings. now if i could only get some EMG pickups i would truly love my guitar.......
Yep, I think they first experimented with it on Clayman (see Pinball Map)

I read in an interview they use 13 guage strings
Top lel.
Theres nothing wrong with 14-62 strings, and yes I can tune that
to E standard if I have to, just makes bending notes much more difficult
but the tone is so much greater. If you change tunings often invest
in 2 guitars, one for tunings G through C and C through E

I use 10-52 for E and Drop D

I use 12-56 for C through E

and 14-62 for C through G

13-58 also works

It's all personal preference

And EMG's arnt that hot, just a passive pickup with a preamp
as long as you have a hot passive such as SH-6 or SH-8
you can put strings just as close and use 10 band eq with gain
to have instant Blackout sound turn EQ off then back to regular
sound

To me the PLAYER's HANDS make you sound good
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by conor1148
i'm waiting to see a metal band do drop D,

..no, not just with a dropped E, the whole damn thing down an octave THEN drop D. on a standard length guitar. has it been done?

hmm Meshuggah has a few songs that are close. they've used 8s on some more recent albums and on obZen from last year, several songs are in F and "Bleed" is in D#.

to the fellow who started this thread, sorry forgot your name, for drop Bb/A# id reccommend 12-58s. ive got that plus a .070 on my seven string and im down a step and a half and i think the strings are just a little too tight. down another half step and you'll be fine. i really wouldnt use anything smaller than .058 for B or Bb. im actually about to restring one of my guitars for drop B and drop Bb so i can learn some disarmonia mundi and in flames!

by the way my recommendations are based on a 25.5" scale, so if you have anything smaller, you might try very slightly larger strings. best of luck

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

shredmaster12 Easy. Baritone guitars are longer, so they have the same tension on strings with lower tunings.
Many many bands have low tunings (e.g. Slipknot uses to play in Drop A). To do so, you need a baritone guitar with .13 or .14 strings (mine is an ESP  baritone tuned on standard A, using .14 strings). The other option, for regular guitar (not baritone I mean), is to use even thicker strings... you have to test several because every guitar is completely different.

The rule is: the longer the guitar (27-30" is considered baritone), more tension. Otherwise, the thicker the string, also delivers more tension, then allowing lower tunings. So, if you want lower tunings you have to get one of both...

With the same guitar, thicker strings will need more tension to get the same note, so it is not recommended to put thicker strings on a regular guitar unless you down-tune it! and, on the other hand, you need thicker strings if you want to down-tune it.

In addition to that, thicker strings will have more "body" in the sound, but you will notice less sharp notes and harmonics will be more difficult (not impossible, just more difficult, but practice is everything at all!)

In short, if you want very low tunings, the best option is to get a baritone guitar, which will allow you to have "sensible" caliber strings... If not possible, then you have to use thick strings on your "regular" guitar.
Last edited by alescribano at Nov 15, 2017,
Quote by alescribano
shredmaster12 Easy. Baritone guitars are longer, so they have the same tension on strings with lower tunings.
Many many bands have low tunings (e.g. Slipknot uses to play in Drop A). To do so, you need a baritone guitar with .13 or .14 strings (mine is an ESP  baritone tuned on standard A, using .14 strings). The other option, for regular guitar (not baritone I mean), is to use even thicker strings... you have to test several because every guitar is completely different.

The rule is: the longer the guitar (27-30" is considered baritone), more tension. Otherwise, the thicker the string, also delivers more tension, then allowing lower tunings. So, if you want lower tunings you have to get one of both...

With the same guitar, thicker strings will need more tension to get the same note, so it is not recommended to put thicker strings on a regular guitar unless you down-tune it! and, on the other hand, you need thicker strings if you want to down-tune it.

In addition to that, thicker strings will have more "body" in the sound, but you will notice less sharp notes and harmonics will be more difficult (not impossible, just more difficult, but practice is everything at all!)

In short, if you want very low tunings, the best option is to get a baritone guitar, which will allow you to have "sensible" caliber strings... If not possible, then you have to use thick strings on your "regular" guitar.

Please dont bump old threads
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.